Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet Struggles

I started my 2 week pre-op liquid diet yesterday, and its been surprisingly difficult. I can have 3 premier shakes a day, broth or fat free skim milk in between, and sugar free jell-o or popsicles. Of course I can have as much Water as I'd like and a max of 1 cup of coffee a day.

My struggle right now is all the food sales they're having at work. I've been sitting here sipping my broth and smelling chili and frybread the past two days. I can't close my office door as you must go through my office to reach my boss. I honestly wouldn't mind as much if the people visiting me or my boss didn't bring the food in and tell me how good it is before going 'Oh you're on your liquid diet right now, haha my bad'.

I can't even escape at the gym because they're running a lunch event every day for senior citizens, so all I smell there is.. you guessed it. Chili and frybread.

My stomach has just been so sad. I'm not hungry per se, but I want to eat I guess? I want to feel solid food. Every time it gets bad I just try to down some more water, but still. How do you deal with it? I went into this liquid diet so confident lol.

Embarrassing side question here: how are y'alls bowel movements once you're well into the liquid diet?

The pre-op diet is a rough two weeks, and quite possibly the hardest part of it all because you have to stick to this strict liquid diet without yet having the help of the surgery. Stay strong -- you can get through it. Your boss sounds pretty rude for rubbing it in that you can't eat, but 6 months from now, she will probably be jealous of all the weight you've lost.

Yea it’s tough I just finished day two my sense of smell has been heightened all food smell really good but I just have to remind myself why I’m doing this. I haven’t had a bowel movement yet and I have to pee every 15 minutes

It can be challenging to stick to a liquid diet, especially when you are surrounded by tempting food aromas. You are doing great by trying to drink more Water to help combat your cravings. You can also try distracting yourself with activities you enjoy, such as reading, exercise, or spending time with friends and family.

Regarding bowel movements, a liquid diet can lead to changes in bowel habits, including softer and more frequent stools. This is because the liquid diet does not provide the same bulk and Fiber as a regular diet. It is important to stay hydrated and speak with your doctor if you have any concerns.

5 hours ago, Kris Poole said:

I just started my 2 wk liquid pre-op diet 2 days ago as well and I find the worst part is not being able to have the satisfaction of the chew and that my sleep is so disrupted due to hunger pangs. Hardest thing I have ever done I think.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I haven't experienced hunger pangs at night, fortunately. I'm sorry its been disturbing your sleep! I do have my last shake of the day pretty late, though.

11 hours ago, smb2886 said:

Yea it’s tough I just finished day two my sense of smell has been heightened all food smell really good but I just have to remind myself why I’m doing this. I haven’t had a bowel movement yet and I have to pee every 15 minutes

Ooh I feel you on that. I don't think I've ever peed so much in my life.

9 hours ago, Alex Brecher said:

It can be challenging to stick to a liquid diet, especially when you are surrounded by tempting food aromas. You are doing great by trying to drink more Water to help combat your cravings. You can also try distracting yourself with activities you enjoy, such as reading, exercise, or spending time with friends and family.

Regarding bowel movements, a liquid diet can lead to changes in bowel habits, including softer and more frequent stools. This is because the liquid diet does not provide the same bulk and Fiber as a regular diet. It is important to stay hydrated and speak with your doctor if you have any concerns.

Thank you for the info! I did finally get to experience the bowel movement. I wasn't sure if I was going to at all or if it would be difficult form the lack of fiber, or what! I'm definitely staying hydrated. Thank you again!

On 02/02/2023 at 10:22, RaiderRhode said:

Ooh I feel you on that. I don't think I've ever peed so much in my life.

02/02/2023 12:30 AM, Alex Brecher said:

Thank you for the info! I did finally get to experience the bowel movement. I wasn't sure if I was going to at all or if it would be difficult form the lack of Fiber, or what! I'm definitely staying hydrated. Thank you again!

I had my bowel movement today I don’t know if it was because my last meal was steak but boy did it take along time to pass you would think staying hydrated from all the liquids would help it pass but it didn’t I started taking Vitamins and I might add a probiotic and electrolytes to help

Condition your mind. It’s good to practice discipline. People won’t change their eating habits because we are cutting back. So you have to be strong enough to handle it.