Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had pre-op panic attacks? I know there is a certain level of anxiety associated with any surgery but I am about to start my 2 week pre-surgery liquid diet and I am having full blown panic attacks. I have had panic attacks in the past about other things just wondering if this level of anxiety is normal or crazy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

smoke a joint and calm down lol. but everyone gets anxiety over their pre op diet... it sucks. 2 weeks of liquids is hard. after about the 3-4th day it gets much easier as your body starts to adjust. stay active... Stay busy. Because doing nothing can lead to boredom and that leads to snacking.

I was having strong doubts about whether I was doing the right thing right up until surgery. Before going into surgery I had a complete meltdown, started crying hysterically and had to be sedated before even going in. Here I am four years later, thrilled with my results and wishing I had done it years (decades) earlier.

The two-week pre-op diet is way harder than the post-op liquid diet (when you won't be hungry at all).

fortunately I don't deal with chronic anxiety or panic attacks, but I always freak out before any surgery - and they've all ended up going really well! Being nervous or anxious before surgeries is pretty normal.

The same thing happened to me. The morning I was starting the diet, I panicked. I think for me personally, it’s the beginning of a new reality, and I panicked. Am I ready? What if’s chimed in.. .. You will be so happy when it’s done. Wishing you the best

Have you asked your doc about meds to help your anxiety?

With the pre op diet my doctor put me on, it makes me wonder if a liquid diet would have been better. He has his patients eat items from https://protifoods.com/. most make me nauseous. I have two more weeks of it to go. My first weigh in is tomorrow.

Edited by Turch

I am finishing my 2 week pre-op liquid diet tomorrow and have surgery early on Valentines day. Still super nervous but mostly excited to stop being hungry all the time lol. I just keep reminding myself who I am doing all this for...my precious little man.

The liquid diet is definitely no joke and has played havoc on my emotions. Super weird and scared about pain level. I'm a pansy lol. Thanks for the support guys and gals. Wish me luck!

Have you asked your doc about meds to help your anxiety?

With the pre op diet my doctor put me on, it makes me wonder if a liquid diet would have been better. He has his patients eat items from https://protifoods.com/. most make me nauseous. I have two more weeks of it to go. My first weigh in is tomorrow.
BTW never heard of that. That's different for sure. We had these horrendous shakes we were supposed to drink 5 days out called Nestle Advanced Recovery. Made me gag soooo bad.download.jpg

I am having ‘anxiety’ about a lot of future state things - what if I get cancer years later and have difficulty getting the nutrition I need. What if I get Alzheimer’s and can’t remember to take the Vitamins I need

I am having ‘anxiety’ about a lot of future state things - what if I get cancer years later and have difficulty getting the nutrition I need. What if I get Alzheimer’s and can’t remember to take the Vitamins I need
I'm learning now that I have had the surgery I am already having a few issues among them both of the things you just mentioned. These issues are only an issue if they go for an extended time not for a week or two. That can be overcome/ combatted with assistance.

Yeah, I feel like I never paused to “question” the surgery — just moved forward because it makes sense, and I need to do this for my health in future and now. But I am a bit mournful of any experiences that will be different after surgery/sort of like FOMO. A bit fear of the unknown too, but not in a major anxious way… definitely keep voicing your thoughts and concerns to family, friends, and your doctor so they can support you!!

I hope all is well now!

I’m glad to read I am not alone on feeling like this I was scared my doctor won’t want to to on with the surgery if I have doubts and anxiety