Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you miss eating? Like the comfort of it, not in an emotional eating way, just the joy that comes from really good food. I understand the new mindset is to eat for fuel and I'm fully on board with it. But I also have 40 years of programming that is opposite to that way of thinking.

Sometimes my food is gone from my place sooner than I anticipated. I have to remind myself to chew my food more, eat slower & enjoy the food more.

I still enjoy eating really good & delicious food & I still love cooking & going out to fine dining restaurants. I just look at food differently. Of course food still has to taste good. I wouldn’t eat something only because it was good for me if it tasted awful or unsatisfying. But it’s almost like food being yummy is the bonus to the nutritional benefits. I don’t eat it just too make me happy or feel better.

The other part of this is portion control: this is delicious but I don’t have to eat more than I need. This is how I manage the rare times I have dessert. I don’t need to eat a full slice, multiple scoops, etc. A couple of bites is fine & just as enjoyable. In some ways I value those couple of bites more.

Don’t be afraid to try new foods & ingredients during this process. You may also discover foods you didn’t enjoy before or didn’t think you’d enjoy are actually quite delicious.

Oh & I had almost 54 years of programming 😉.

3 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I still enjoy eating really good & delicious food & I still love cooking & going out to fine dining restaurants. I just look at food differently. Of course food still has to taste good. I wouldn’t eat something only because it was good for me if it tasted awful or unsatisfying. But it’s almost like food being yummy is the bonus to the nutritional benefits. I don’t eat it just too make me happy or feel better.

The other part of this is portion control: this is delicious but I don’t have to eat more than I need. This is how I manage the rare times I have dessert. I don’t need to eat a full slice, multiple scoops, etc. A couple of bites is fine & just as enjoyable. In some ways I value those couple of bites more.

Don’t be afraid to try new foods & ingredients during this process. You may also discover foods you didn’t enjoy before or didn’t think you’d enjoy are actually quite delicious.

Same here for me. I've never been very strict on what I eat except for the first month or so and immediately after the surgery. I was not given any specific diet to follow only some guidelines for the first month after the surgery and that I should cut down / reduce carbs thereafter.

Now I only eat when I'm really hungry and I don't get sugar cravings that much. I try to increase my fruits and vegetables intake and cut down on the carbs. I still enjoy (almost) all the foods I used to eat before just in small quantities. It helps that I cook my food myself so I can control what goes in into my food and also the portion size. That said, I can't seem to tolerate some foods (pasta, scrambled eggs etc) which is not a bad thing haha

Edited by omrhsn

3 hours ago, Arabesque said:

59 years of pre-surgery programming here!

I agree with everything Arabesque said above. I think I probably enjoy eating more than I did before, because I do it in a mindful way and savor what I'm eating.

I also wanted to say that my tastes have definitely changed. Not only do I not crave sugary foods any more, I actually find overly sweet food disgusting now (including things I used to love). Most of my cravings now are for "good" foods that I should be eating as part of a healthy diet.

being restricted on your food choices is temporary. When I hit the six-month mark, any and all food restrictions were lifted. After that, it came down to what my stomach could tolerate (and I can eat pretty much anything except for really fatty meals). I just have to eat smaller portions than I used to, otherwise my weight will start heading north again.

I should add that I was a pretty healthy eater even before surgery (although granted, I ate way too much of it). I did enjoy occasional treats, but I mostly ate pretty healthy. If you're used to eating a lot processed food and sugary or fried things, then you'll be dealing with bigger changes than I had to and might miss some of that - but I don't miss anything since I can eat pretty much anything I want to again (although there are times when I'm eating some fantastic pizza or barbecue and wish I could shovel more and more in like I used to be able to do - but it would be physically painful for me to scarf up half a large pizza or a huge pile of BBQ in one sitting with this tiny stomach). But to answer your question, no, because I eat pretty much what I did before - I just eat a lot less of it.

I love good food. Problem for most of my life was that I ate far too much of it, and then a whole heap of sugar right on top of that again for good measure. I am 14 months post sleeve surgery and I can eat almost everything I could before, so I really don't miss anything at all. When I eat out I eat about half a main or just get a starter (which are often the most interesting dishes on a menu anyway!) Honestly it brings me just as much joy as it always did. I hope it's the same for you.

I love everything about eating out at nice restaurants; the social aspect, the food, the atmosphere, etc. I always order with the mindset that I'll be bringing at least half (if not 3/4) of my meal home with me, so I do try to order in a way that the meal with keep best (like if it's a salad, I'll get the dressing on the side). I love ahi tuna, so if there is an ahi tuna appetizer or poke bowl on the menu, I usually get that and eat as much of the tuna as a I can, and bring home the veggies/slaw/salad for later.

I always have a fun selection of leftovers in the fridge! Right now I have shrimp tacos in there, that I plan on eating tonight!

Thanks for your insight everyone!

To me, the food tastes way better now. Before I used to be all about volume. Now it's so nice to chat, hang out and to savor the taste of great food one bite at a time. [emoji492]

41 minutes ago, Tomo said:

To me, the food tastes way better now. Before I used to be all about volume. Now it's so nice to chat, hang out and to savor the taste of great food one bite at a time. [emoji492]

Totally agree. I now enjoy and appreciate food better. I also believe cooking small portions yields better food somehow.

No bc I still eat good food! I'm having beef stew for dinner tomorrow & today I had chicken kebabs, & yesterday I had tri-tip. The only difference is that the portions are smaller & the sides I usually had are now different (im 4mos out so I still have some limitations I have to follow) I still very much enjoy eating!

Do you miss eating? Like the comfort of it, not in an emotional eating way, just the joy that comes from really good food. I understand the new mindset is to eat for fuel and I'm fully on board with it. But I also have 40 years of programming that is opposite to that way of thinking.

I'm 3 weeks PO and I'm struggling. I miss eating so much, food is always on my mind now. Pre-op days I'd forget to eat and gorge in the evening.

Hoping this will get better

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using BariatricPal mobile app

On 01/28/2023 at 21:24, LindsayT said:

I'm 2 weeks post op, and I'm still on a liquid diet. I very much miss eating, to the point that I feel less energetic all day since and more depressed. I think I regret having this surgery.

Also never stopped eating good food - I just eat small portions and am satisfied with that. I still get excited about food, still love cooking, still love going out to eat. Only difference is the quantity I eat, and I no longer feel guilt afterwards. I find that lack of guilt because I'm not gorging myself completely liberating.

Pre-surgery I didn't slow down to actually enjoy anything I was eating. It's the reverse now - I finally have a good relationship with food. I can stop and actually appreciate the flavours and the skill that went into making it, without making myself ill from eating too much of it.

I think folks really latch onto this idea that post-surgery eating is punitive, but it isn't. It may feel like it when you're in those first months of the plan, but that's temporary while everything heals.