Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No sugar, no fat

I think I've settled in on getting bypassed, so I'm trying to gather all the information I can. Dumping doesn't sound pleasant and I want to get as much information about that as I can. I have read sugar and fat is the biggest contributing factor to dumping. I get added sugar and fat, but what about items that have natural sugars, like fruit? Or natural fats like avocado or nuts? What about sautéed vegetables in olive oil? Or is Dumping more of a personal trigger? What are your go-to alternatives for sugar and fats (oils and butter for cooking)

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

Dumping seems less common now than in the past, but I'm from the past. Back when I had surgery about 50% of folks ended up dumping, now I think it's closer to 30%. For the record, even non-ops can dump, though it's not at all common.

I am glad I dump. Nothing like being slapped for overdoing sugars and/or fats. It's a great educator. Probably a big factor in why I have stayed at a good weight.

Sugar is sugar, and fats are fats.

Sugars I'm usually ok on about 1/2 a cup of fresh fruit, though since I don't snack much I don't eat much fruit. I do remember dumping on a banana early on, but they haven't bothered me since. Fruit juices I can't do very much at all. I just generally avoid overly sweet things like desert foods, candy, etc. If my spouse get's a desert I'll have a taste if it looks especially good.

I can't ever remember having a problem with avocado, but I never go past 1/2 of one as my pouch is not much bigger than that. Fats in sauces are more problematic as their easy to misjudge.

My dumping threshold moves up and down depending on any number of factors such as fatigue, med conflicts, illness, stress and other things that can make a normally acceptable amount of sugar or fat problematic.

Symptoms: Early dumping usually happens within 30 minutes and symptoms are nausea, sweating, palpitations, diarrhea, thirst. Late dumping usually happens after 30 minutes and symptoms are about the same except for nausea. Symptoms last about an hour. There is nothing to do about it except get through it. It's not so terrible usually.

For me, I've rarely experienced Dumping Syndrome. I had my gastric bypass 9 months ago. I had more issues with the "Foamies" but haven't had that issue in at least 4 months or longer ("Foamies" is when you regurgitate what you've just eaten and you over-produce saliva and start vomitting - for me this was a very slow process and not pleasant - it happened if my pouch couldn't break down what I was eating - i.e. I had a hard time processing chicken breast even if it was so small, etc - this was during the stage of real food, not purees or soft ....anything stringy like kale, spinach, celery, etc. And...if I ate too fast).

As far as Sugar & Fat, I never had that issue and I never went Fat Free/Sugar Free either. However, that being said....I don't want to eat fat - especially animal fat, as it made me pretty sick even before my bypass....but I don't necessarily eat Fat Free Yogurt. I tend to look at Nutritional Labels focusing on Protein, Fiber, Carbs. For example, it really depends on the product and it also is a lesson for everyone going through Weight Loss Surgery in Trial & Error. So, you have to see how your body does and if you have any doubt, don't do it. But at the grocery store, I might look at the labels and see what looks like a better fit for me and see how my body does - the Siggis Icelandic Yogurt has less sugar higher protein and my body does great on it. Say for a cheese stick/snack, a regular piece of cheddar is easier for me to digest than fat free.

With fresh fruit, I think it's so important to incorporate, along with fresh vegetables. As far as worrying about the sugar content of fruit, I don't think that's an issue at all. I think it's smart to incorporate fruits into your diet - whole fruits whether fresh or frozen, because it's a good, healthy habit that's so good for your body. I've never had ill effects from eating bananas, berries (some of the best fruit for us!), citrus, you name it. Mind you, I'm a former Type 2 Diabetic.

One thing that I have had issues with is sugar free products. I think that could be with anyone - I find that Monk Fruit and stevia are so much better on my body. Most definitely too much sugar free products (ethythritol, xylitol, etc.) can have major negative effects on your system. I have learned to proceed with caution - before and after surgery - with sugar substitutes. Also, your taste buds definitely change after surgery as well.

I love using olive oil for cooking. I try to stay mindful and definitely tracking (Baritastic App is my favorite) helps create good habits. Avocados are wonderful, good fats and I try to eat these. I will tell you that my body has "learned" what makes it feel good. For me, the things that make me feel good are oats - just regular, plain oats (not packet) and steel cut are my go-to. Fruit does make me feel good too, I love adding in smoothies with Protein Drinks and ice and helps me feel great. Greek yogurt does the same. Nut butters without added sugar helps me feel great also. Veggies sautéed in olive oil help me feel good, a light salad and most fish (easy for me to digest and good source of protein). It's all a matter of trial and error but honestly, this is the best thing I've ever done for myself!!

I hope sharing my experiences helps you and best of luck to you!!

Edited by readyforanewme3

It really is a learning experience. I am scared of dumping. I don't do well feeling that way.

I completely understand!! Know that there's ton of support out there to help you and you will get through it! Some things won't be what we expect and vice versa. The best thing you can do is educate yourself and it sounds like you're doing just that!! You're gonna do amazing!!

I don't dump, but I definitely react if I overeat sugar. I bloat (noticeably and my stomach gets really icky), get exhausted - like sit on the couch and pass out for 2 hours - and have bad gas. I do OK with fruit or if I eat Protein before the sugar. I can also have a little bit, but I haven't tried to narrow down where the line is. Knowing it's a possibility helps me avoid overeating sugary food, especially if I'm out with others or traveling. It's easier to avoid than to try and deal with it.