Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No sugar, no fat

I think I've settled in on getting bypassed, so I'm trying to gather all the information I can. Dumping doesn't sound pleasant and I want to get as much information about that as I can. I have read sugar and fat is the biggest contributing factor to dumping. I get added sugar and fat, but what about items that have natural sugars, like fruit? Or natural fats like avocado or nuts? What about sautéed vegetables in olive oil? Or is Dumping more of a personal trigger? What are your go-to alternatives for sugar and fats (oils and butter for cooking)

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

dumping on sugar is more common than dumping on fat (and even given that, only about 30% of bypass patients dump on sugar). I've never dumped, but from what I've heard from those who do, it's more the added sugar (as opposed to the more natural kind). I know ice cream is a big one for dumpers. I don't know the answer to the question about fat because I don't personally know anyone who dumps on fat, but I know some people do. Hopefully someone who does (or at least knows) will see this and answer it for you..

I do know that most dumpers can tolerate *some* sugar (or fat). They just can't eat a ton of it at one sitting. In other words, they can usually eat a cookie or a couple of forkfuls of cake, but they can't go overboard on sweets like they could pre-surgery or they'll be sorry!!!

I had bypass and I dump mostly on sugars. I don’t feel well on fats but I’m not sure I qualify for dumping, it just makes my stomach hurt for an hour or two. I can eat fruit, but I usually do it with some Protein just to not be “caught.” I’m probably like most people and don’t want to accidentally throw up or get diarrhea or get very lightheaded around my coworkers or my students, much less when I’m driving. It’s probably my neurosis but I like to have some control over hot flashes and seeing spots. I find I can link fruits to a meal with protein. I plan it or prep it. Yes I cook with oils like the Mediterranean style suggests. I can eat a handful of nuts or hard cheese, I’m just limiting them now as I’m still in the loosing phase.

Oh, I used to LOVE Peanut Butter and Nutella before surgery. I have found them too sticky and sugary now. My tastebuds did change!

I have dumped on both processed sugar and excess fat, as recently as several months ago when I had a small bowl of ice cream. (I'm four years post-surgery). From what I've read here, I seem to more sensitive to "bad" foods than most people and I dump pretty easily. I don't necessarily consider that a problem, because it keeps me from cheating too much! 😊

I don't seem to have a problem with small amounts of fruit, but I can't overdo it. I use artificial sweetener in coffee, because I can't stand black coffee (even though I know it's not good for me).

Avocados and nuts are no problem, but I can't tolerate nut butters. I can also tolerate small amounts of fatty meats, but too much causes a problem. (I still enjoy a slice or two of bacon from time to time.)

It's possible to avoid processed sugar entirely, which I try to do. It's not possible to eliminate fat from your diet, but it's not hard to cut down on it considerably. All of this sounded impossible to me pre-surgery, but it has become second nature at this point and I don't even think about it.

So far, I have only dumped on fat: beef chuck roast (cooked very soft & tender but had too much fat), turkey sausage (too much grease), chicken cooked in too much oil at a restaurant. Its not so much excess fat (kept down ice cream, cream cheese, etc.) but excess oil & grease for me. I haven't dumped from sugar, yet, but I've only had a sugar cookie and kept it down.

When I dump, the food sits on top of my stomach and I know the signs within 15 minutes, although others have delayed dumping. My nutritionist said for me to try to keep <10g carbs and <10g fat per meal. That works for me.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

Too much sucrose gives me fast heart rate, a malaise feeling for about hour. It's not pleasant but it isn't that bad. So for example, 1/2 cup of Cereal, no problem. One cup risks one hour of fast heart rate. I don't get any side effects with fructose, lactose or anything else. So no limit on fructose (can eat fruit all day), lactose, starches, Fiber, Protein or fats.

i dump on excess sugar.

i've also dumped eating a fruit salad in my earlier days.

but it really depends on the individual...you'll know when u know.

good luck!❤️

😩 I feel like I have this but I'm sleeved and only 2.5 weeks Po. I hope you decide whats best for you and I hope you don't experience any hardships.

Unfortunately, any "triggers" you may have for dumping will change, and come and go as you recover and go on with your journey. Early in the process, a LOT of things would set my stomach off, a few of which you wouldn't expect (banana baby food was a surprise). Now, it only seems to be a combination of carbs and alcohol which means if I have a drink I try to have a small amount of nuts, or some cheese available to snack on so I don't get the bright idea to have a cookie and end up with another concussion.

It's trial-and-error, and what causes one person to do it may not do the same to you and vice versa. We're all kind of unique.