Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, all! I am 52 days post-surgery. When will my bowels regulate?? I used to be so regular that the Naval Observatory called me to ask the time. Now, not so much. I thought once my diet normalized my lower GI system would, too. :(

it's a pretty common problem with both sleevers and bypassers. It's probably due to the high Protein diet and/or a some of the supplements (calcium and Iron supplements are typical culprits). A lot of us take stool softeners or a capful of Miralax every day to keep on top of it. Magnesium tablets can help as well.

50 minutes ago, Sleeve_Me_Alone said:

Just Better Fiber. Game changer! Yes, it gets better, but you'll need help for a while, possibly forever.

Would a fiber supplement help? I think I was thinking it would blow up my stomach and/or get stuck…

I take colace every day. It's part of my meds. I'm pretty regular now at 7 months out having an almost a daily "deposit". My problem was hard bowels, for risk of TMI - my body was trying to poo boulders - so the colace was the answer for me. I haven't had a problem since I started taking it.

If it's getting it moving I would get a fiber supplement. Miralax is a favorite among our crowd and I am sure we have some that have recommendations for tried and true fiber. I used benefiber for awhile and I liked that I could mix it in ANYTHING without an added taste or after taste.

Fiber supplements, colace, Metamucil - NOTHING worked for me until I started Miralax. Now I take it once daily.

Constipation is very common. Find a good soluble non swelling fibre supplement - I used Benefibre - & add it to your diet every day. Add more vegetables to your diet as you’re able, look to whole & multi grains in the carbs you can have & ensure you’re meeting your Fluid goal.

And try to keep on top if the constipation so it doesn’t go on for so long you require more extreme treatments, and you can avoid the daily discomfort & pain when you finally go. Personally I took a stool softener if I hadn’t gone by day three. It was enough to get things moving again for me.

It usually continues until you are eating more & a wider variety of foods so when you are close to your weight stabilising. I still have occasional episodes of constipation (had one this week 😉).

17 hours ago, Flapjack71 said:

Would a Fiber supplement help? I think I was thinking it would blow up my stomach and/or get stuck…

JBF is a fiber supplement. Its Prebiotic insoluble corn fiber. I mix it in to my coffee and Water every single day and haven't had an discomfort or side effects. I did start small, about one TBL a day, and worked up to about 4 TBL. So I would definitely suggest easing into it. But for me, its been super helpful and easily tolerated.

1 hour ago, Sleeve_Me_Alone said:

JBF is a Fiber supplement. Its Prebiotic insoluble corn fiber. I mix it in to my coffee and Water every single day and haven't had an discomfort or side effects. I did start small, about one TBL a day, and worked up to about 4 TBL. So I would definitely suggest easing into it. But for me, its been super helpful and easily tolerated.

I can’t find anything online about JBF :(

I left the hospital having to dissolve those nasty little Docusate Sodium (Colace) capsules in warm Water. Couldn't do it.... the taste was horrible. Called the doc for an alternative and they told me Milk of Magnesia. Phillips makes a Cherry flavor MOM. It's like MAGIC. I drink a cap full of that - and within maybe 2 hours it has served its purpose. Can't go wrong.

On 01/31/2023 at 03:57, CHRISSER27 said:

I left the hospital having to dissolve those nasty little Docusate Sodium (Colace) capsules in warm Water. Couldn't do it.... the taste was horrible. Called the doc for an alternative and they told me Milk of Magnesia. Phillips makes a Cherry flavor MOM. It's like MAGIC. I drink a cap full of that - and within maybe 2 hours it has served its purpose. Can't go wrong.

milk of magnesia is the only thing that has worked for me. i am nearly five months post-op and i tried miralax, magnesia tablets, metamucil, and exlax. the only thing that was effective was the exlax but you can’t take that very often cuz it can cause lazy bowel where your intestines don’t move your food unless prompted by a laxative.

i started taking milk of magnesia last week and it works great! :D i take 30 mL every two days and that has been very beneficial. i also have the phillips cherry flavor and it kind of tastes like cherry flavored detergent or washing liquid; it’s not the best tasting thing but bearable lol

My Dietician recommended Smooth Move Tea with Senna and it really helps. I drink a hot cup in the evening after dinner every 2 or 3 days. It does get things moving next morning. You can find it at most grocery stores and is popular. Sometimes the shelf is out of stock. I’m 3.5 months post op and not regular yet.

I'm 11 months post op and I take 3 Colace every day with my pm meds. I don't think I'll ever be regular without help.