Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering another surgery

So I'm going to just copy and paste part of my about me section to make this a bit easier lol:

"in May 2019 I had VSG, and for about a year everything seemed to be doing fine. Initially, I was successful and almost 100 lbs down. I got down to 174lbs within a year. Almost 14 months later, I was dealing with a new stressor in my life (an abusive situation) and ended up developing extreme GERD, reflux, and would feel burning acid come up each night--sometimes choking on it and breathing in my own stomach acid. I ended up suffering with bronchitis and pneumonia due to the extreme GERD several times within a short period of time. My surgeon stated that this is one of the possible side effects of VSG as well as extreme stress, and offered revision to do the RNY and a hiatal Hermia repair. All went well, and at first, I seemed to have recovered well. But now, here I am in 2023 and I have slowly gained over 30lbs in the last 2.5 years, going from my lowest post-bariatric weight of 174 lbs to now at about 207.7 lbs. Not really sure if it was a result of surgery, or poor eating habits (or both), because from the moment I woke up from surgery and in each phase of my bariatric diet, I felt as though my "pouch" or new stomach was no longer feeling restrictive, and I was able to eat much larger portions than before. "

I know 30 lbs may not seem like " a lot" to most, but to me it is a big deal and has been stressing me out a lot. Lately, I have been considering seeing either my old surgeon or possibly a new one for a check up to see if there is something "wrong" with the size/my surgery failed. Or perhaps, maybe this is hormonal, stress-related, etc. One thing I would like to add is that the majority of this weight regain started the moment I started taking SSRI medication (which I am still on for anxiety and depression). Looking for advice on what to do....as I have been trying to motivate myself to get back on track...

that medication you started the side affect listed on it is possible weight gain. But lets start there at your food habits... Are you still eating healthy? making sure to limit carbs and sugars? or are you just eating whatever? I am only 9 months out and i dont feel the restriction i did 5 months ago. I can eat much larger portions than before. The goal tho is to limit those portions regardless. The goal is not to eat until you cant anymore. Its to eat until you are satisfied. not full but good. Not sure what else you can do with surgery. you already had the sleeve and then bypass which is what most people go to when they gain too much weight after sleeve or have GERD issues.

The side effect of my medication is weight gain; for example my younger brother at one time took this same medication and gained over 60 pounds in 3 years (prior to that he was always skinny). I have def noticed an increased appetite with it. I have never eaten to feel "full" or uncomfortable since surgery, I have always been good about stopping and eating small portions at a time (half plate of food). However, I think my main issue is feeling hungry again soon after eating and then snacking. The only thing I can think to do is to measure every single thing I eat for a period of time and see if that helps, and to cut out snacking completely. My diet is average at best. I still make sure to get 60-80 grams of Protein a day, and enjoy lots of veg and some fruits, however I do not stick to low carb or low fat options all the time--this may be another issue.

Well, you could revise to a duodenal switch or loop duodenal switch surgery. The biggest problem, of course, would be finding a surgeon who would do it in the first place, and also one who would be comfortable doing a RNY revision to DS or Loop DS. The DS is the most aggressive surgery and one of the biggest downsides is having to take more Vitamins. Also, if you wait too long in between eating... your bowels will decide to empty everything in them after taking about two to three bites of food and you'll be in and out of the bathroom for an hour or more, so if you do decide to do the surgery keep something like a granola bar or something next to your bed. I had the Loop DS 3 years ago and am incredibly happy with my surgery choice.

7 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

Well, you could revise to a duodenal switch or loop duodenal switch surgery. The biggest problem, of course, would be finding a surgeon who would do it in the first place, and also one who would be comfortable doing a RNY revision to DS or Loop DS. The DS is the most aggressive surgery and one of the biggest downsides is having to take more Vitamins. Also, if you wait too long in between eating... your bowels will decide to empty everything in them after taking about two to three bites of food and you'll be in and out of the bathroom for an hour or more, so if you do decide to do the surgery keep something like a granola bar or something next to your bed. I had the Loop DS 3 years ago and am incredibly happy with my surgery choice.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with the Loop DS. This is one surgery I have heard about but never really researched as much. Hoping I wont have to go this route; just trying to identify ways to stay fuller longer without snacking too much.