Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's kinda vague, but what has WLS done to your hormones? I read about increased fertility (even giving post-menopausal women a period) and acne issues...what else?

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Lindsay,

I have PCOS and a Pituitary Adenoma, so I have experienced my fair share of crazy hormones!

Prior to WLS, I would go sometimes 4-6 months without a period. Now I get one about every 35-50 days or so. Not normal by any means, but MUCH better than before. I have experienced more issues with some acne around my chin at times ( a pimple here or there, nothing major). The one drawback however, is I have noticed the hair on my head has decreased, while the hair everywhere else (my entire body) has increased in thickness.

Edited by Ellebronwyn

I'm still relatively new to post op, but in 2022 I only had my period at the beginning of the year, after March no period whatsoever. I started spotting a few days before surgery, probably due to the idea of the surgery itself, and 30 days after surgery I had my first period, 14 days later, had my period again. Not sure when I will have another period but I'm glad I actually had one after 9 months without one.

Estrogen is stored in your fat so as you lose weight that estrogen is released into your blood stream. This estrogen flush can make you more fertile (many surgeons suggest doubling down on contraceptives), longer/shorter/heavier/lighter periods, more or fewer PMS symptoms, acne, headaches, etc. In my case my menopausal symptoms disappeared for a while (came back though ☹️).

The surgery & weight loss can also cause other seemingly unusual effects For example, many see their cholesterol &/or bilirubin levels rise, liver function to be off, etc. It can even cause gall stones to develop.

These are all temporary effects & will eventually decrease until your weight loss stabilises or slows & they disappear. Of course if the persist or seem extreme, contact your doctor.

My first period post surgery was the most intense I've ever had. I got crazy cramps & a very heavy period. I never experienced hardcore cramps before the surgery. I can't say what exactly is happening but you definitely feel a difference

Sounds like fun. I had an endometrial ablation, so I don't have a period, but I do cycle. Curious about what the increased estrogen will do with that. Thank you for your input.

I had RNY when I was 29, and I’m 38 now. I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 20 (my mother also had it) and took Loestrin for years to regulate my cycle. After my RNY, I stopped talking the oral birth control; I started having regular periods again quite quickly actually. In 2015, I had the Paragard IUD placed, but my body expelled it after 10 months. I then started taking Yaz, and was on it for 7 years, until recently, when my husband had a vasectomy. I personally noticed over the last couple of years that my PMS symptoms increased tremendously, instead of decreasing as they do for some women on BC. I also never had one single pregnancy scare on oral contraceptives; my OB GYN knew I had RNY and said it was totally fine for me to take them for the length of time I did. I’ve been off the Yaz for close to 3 months now, and have had regular cycles again already. 😊

Edited by BAA624