Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 2 weeks post op on a sleeve to bypass revision. Sleeve was 10 years ago. Never wanted this bypass but reflux was persistent and my doc said, “we’re going to have to do this eventually might as well do it now while your young (52) and healthy.” I had a complication 5 days after surgery with a bowel obstruction at the Juijnem site because of post op swelling was in hospital on only IV fluids for 3 days. It cleared up and now at least my bowels are doing what bowels do on a daily basis. That’s all good, I’ve even lost 16 lbs post op (pound a day). BUT I’m really mourning food in general, solid food in particular and just variety. I’m on full fluids and next week I get to add thinned cottage cheese, ricotta and and oatmeal (all thinned). But I just did the math and it won’t be till April that I can eat solid food. Yes I’m talking to a therapist but I’m just really regretting all of this. I was basically happy with my weight preop (could have worked harder to lose 15 lbs. but I didn’t really care). Now I’m down 35 from before the two week preop Optifast and I just want my life back. I feel like I’ll never be able to enjoy food again, have sushi roll, eat popcorn, a hot dog at a ballgame. One by one I don’t care about any of those menu items but taken together and it’s a normal lifestyle that is now gone and never coming back. This really gets me down.

Hugs. The liquid stage truly took a toll on my mental health, it's so much more tough than one would think so I fully sympathize with you right now. I'm sorry you're finding this hard, but I'm glad this is gonna help your reflux! I hope it will be worth it for you in the end 💜

3 hours ago, Dan1131 said:

I’m 2 weeks post op on a sleeve to bypass revision. Sleeve was 10 years ago. Never wanted this bypass but reflux was persistent and my doc said, “we’re going to have to do this eventually might as well do it now while your young (52) and healthy.” I had a complication 5 days after surgery with a bowel obstruction at the Juijnem site because of post op swelling was in hospital on only IV fluids for 3 days. It cleared up and now at least my bowels are doing what bowels do on a daily basis. That’s all good, I’ve even lost 16 lbs post op (pound a day). BUT I’m really mourning food in general, solid food in particular and just variety. I’m on full fluids and next week I get to add thinned cottage cheese, ricotta and and oatmeal (all thinned). But I just did the math and it won’t be till April that I can eat solid food. Yes I’m talking to a therapist but I’m just really regretting all of this. I was basically happy with my weight preop (could have worked harder to lose 15 lbs. but I didn’t really care). Now I’m down 35 from before the two week preop Optifast and I just want my life back. I feel like I’ll never be able to enjoy food again, have sushi roll, eat popcorn, a hot dog at a ballgame. One by one I don’t care about any of those menu items but taken together and it’s a normal lifestyle that is now gone and never coming back. This really gets me down.

Did your surgeon permanently remove those listed foods from your diet or for a short period? Week by week things will get better and you will eventually return to a normal routine but I understand completely. It is very hard giving up foods you like even for short periods of time. Hang in there!
Glad you are doing well and recovering after the complications ❤️

Edited by GreenTealael

I presume your prolonged restricted diet is due to your complication & is to support a longer healing time. Remember this is temporary and as the weeks pass you’ll be able to eat a more varied range of foods & textures. After all you’ve been thorough though feeling down is to be expected.

Certain foods are best avoided while you’re losing (rice & bread because they swell in your tummy, popcorn because it’s a slider, hotdog because of the bread & fatty sausage) but once you’ve stabilised you can eat these foods again with just frequency & portion size a consideration. Unless of course there’s an issue with you eating them. Like I still can’t eat bread, rice & Pasta as they sit too heavily in my tummy - don’t miss them & I used to eat them a lot. There are always alternatives.

this is all temporary. You'll eventually be able to eat most of the foods you love again. I assume you have to wait until April before eating solid foods because of the bowel obstruction, not the bypass. My mother-in-law had surgery for a bowel obstruction a year or so ago (she never had weight loss surgery, though - it just happened), and she was on fluids and purees for quite awhile, too, as I recall.

you've been in a very down mood for quite awhile now - since weeks before your surgery. I hope you'll start feeling better soon emotionally, too. If not, does your clinic have a therapist? You might find it helpful.

Just like when you had the sleeve, in the beginning it's difficult to eat certain types of foods. Later you'll be able to eat the same things. The two surgeries are extremely similar that way.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. That’s really helpful to hear. My doc is very conservative I guess as the no solid food till 12 weeks post op is standard for their patients independent of the bowel obstruction complication. Plus pretty rigid on the 15 minutes between 1-2oz bites or sips (haven’t bitten anything is 4+ weeks!). It’s just a lot to accept but I know at this point I have no choice. Just hopeful things will normalize in a few months. One day at a time as they say.