Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Straws, bariatric fusion vitamins, testing day after, soups, showers

Hey guys, so, I have a few questions and I will ask my surgeon as well at my upcoming pre surgery appointment.

1. Are straws allowed while drinking anything? I swear I was told that you can

2. I'm thinking about getting the Bariatric Fusion Vitamins. The nurse at the bariatrics office tells me that she recommends them over getting the vitamins separately. Do I still need other vitamins on top of those?

3. So, I was wondering if we get tested the day after surgery to see if everything is working the way they're supposed to? Or is every surgeon different? (Like I said I will be asking my surgeon all of these questions)

4. Soups...we can use the broth in any Soup? Probably the lower sodium Soups right?

5. Last, but not least. Do they usually let you take a shower after surgery or do you have to wait awhile? I would really like to shower before I come home. Surgery is getting closer and closer...ahh!

2 Bonus question, what is or did everyone pack for surgery?

Is their going to be a drain placed?

Nurse told me to make a list of any questions I may have.

I'm so nervous and my insides are going to be strange lol

1) There is some disagreement about this, but I have used straws since 1 month post-op, and I haven't had the slightest problem.

2) I used the Bariatric fusion Multivitamin, and it worked for me. My Vitamin levels are normal.

3) What do you mean when you say "tested"?

4) N/A

5) I can't imagine showering after surgery. Too sore, incisions still healing. I think I waited about a week.

Bonus: do a search here. That question is asked often.

No drain placed for sleeve.

-In regards to the straws, some doctors say yes, some say no. It's honestly just to avoid any extra gas in your stomach. I'm 3 months out & I finally started drinking with straws again, but small sips to avoid any extra air. I would avoid it during the first couple of months

-In terms of 'testing' it seems standard that you recieve a small Water cup, broth & Jello for your first meal post op. If you have any negative reactions, tell your nurses! However a lot of the time most discomfort or nausea you feel is normal.

-Broth. Your doctor should give you a sheet or at least inform you of all the options you have during the liquid stage but yeah, my program reccomended everything to be low sodium!

-For your bonus, take your biggest comfiest pj pants for when you leave. I took pj pants that fit just right & they were suddenly too tight when I was being discharged because of the gas they pumped in. It made the car ride home uncomfortable, don't make the same mistake I made!

Edited by bbykitty

You will get so many different answers as each surgeon has their own set of rules.

1-Straws: I wasn't allowed right after surgery but they said if it doesn't bother me further out then it doesn't matter.

2-Vitamins: I just take a bariatric multi Vitamin and Calcium each day. This could change and everyone is different based on blood work results and possibly deficiencies

3-My surgeon did a "leak test" by pushing some die through my digestive tract to make sure everything was good.

4- My surgeon didn't specify, I bought and drank the broth from Soups. I hated plain broth and Bone Broth was worse. So, I bought different soups and strained them and just drank the broth. Other people ate the rest of the Soup so it wasn't wasted.

5- I was allowed to get a shower the next day but was told to keep my back to the blasting Water. It was ok to get the incisions wet, but don't let the water blast on them.

6- I did not have drains, but I know some people do. Depends on the surgeon.

I only packed my phone and charger and chapstick. haha I was out of it and nothing I brought would have mattered. I was in the hospital for 2 days, but on discharge day my wife brought me clean clothes and helped me get a shower before I left the hospital.

Good luck!

1. I had not restriction on Straws. Used them without any problems right from day one in hospital

2. I got an adult dose of Vitamins from the supermarket, Dieticians recommendation. Changed to ones without Iron because of nausea. I take Calcium tablets. Every 3 months I have a Vitamin B12 injection which really helps with my energy levels.

3.I was tested for swelling of my incisions but nor leaks

4. Sodium is never an issue in the UK. I could have broth

5. I could not have a shower until my staple were taken out at about 10 days. They didnt want the dressings getting wet. [ strangely I was given new dressings for after showers, so I ignored the first set of instructions and showered]

Pack a blanket if its cold outside, I was freezing. Take a pillow to hug in the car ride home. You can put it under the seat belt. Bumpy roads are the norm over here and a pillow did help. Lip balm and Biotin was very useful

I was told no at first and then that changed, the issue is people suck too much air or drink too fast.

2. I'm thinking about getting the Bariatric Fusion Vitamins. The nurse at the bariatrics office tells me that she recommends them over getting the Vitamins separately. Do I still need other vitamins on top of those?

Bariatric fusion multivitamin chews are so gross, super chalky. I get my B-50 from them, but I use the one a day Multi with Iron and also my Calcium NOW® Cal-Mag DK from ProCare Health and I love it. I get B-12 from the store.

3. So, I was wondering if we get tested the day after surgery to see if everything is working the way they're supposed to? Or is every surgeon different? (Like I said I will be asking my surgeon all of these questions)

I was tested the day after, that was it. they had me drink contrast and they scan you.

4. Soups...we can use the broth in any Soup? Probably the lower sodium Soups right?

Yes, Bone Broth is good

5. Last, but not least. Do they usually let you take a shower after surgery or do you have to wait awhile? I would really like to shower before I come home. Surgery is getting closer and closer...ahh!

I was able to shower the day after I got home, 2.5 days after surgery. The Glue held fine, no issues

Lose comfortable clothes, a robe, sandals or slippers for walking, basic toiletries and something to do while in the hospital for a day.

No drain

Edited by SuziDavis

1. Surgeon said no to straws at the beginning but then you can use I think 3 months out

2. I use those Vitamins with Iron the regular one and they have been good, no side effect. If you are doing chewables those are worse. Different surgeons have different requirements, I take Calcium, B12 and B Complex aside from those vitamins and gall bladder medicine.

3. I had the barium swallow test to check for leaks, but they do blood work in the mornings, and I got those posted in my account to use as reference later on

4. I was able to use broth, used the low sodium.

5. My surgery was Tuesday and I was able to shower Wednesday. I did not let the pressure hit the incisions and pat them dry.

Bonus: I took a robe (didn't use), charger, chapstick, wallet (self-pay). Left the hospital with the same clothes I went in with. No drain for me.

16 hours ago, Erin18 said:

Hey guys, so, I have a few questions and I will ask my surgeon as well at my upcoming pre surgery appointment.

2. I'm thinking about getting the Bariatric Fusion Vitamins. The nurse at the bariatrics office tells me that she recommends them over getting the Vitamins separately. Do I still need other vitamins on top of those?

I had RnY gastric bypass on October 18, 2022.

I was told that straws were allowed, as long as they didn't cause gas. So, I've been using straws since the day I came home.

If you get the bariatric vitamins, then you'll only need to supplement some Calcium. You can buy them separately, but if you do that then you're going to be taking a handful of pills, multiple times a day. And it's really not anymore expensive to just buy the bariatric ones. I got the chewables.

The Soups you can use are going to depend on your stage. If you're on Clear Liquids, then you won't be able to have cream soups. Once you're on full liquids, then you can have cream soups - you'll just need to strain them.

I was allowed to shower the day after getting home - so on my second day post op.

I packed an extra long phone charger (didn't need it), a heating pad (didn't need it), an abdominal binder (I didn't use it in the hospital, but I did use it for a couple of days after I got home), an old pair of slippers that I planned to just throw away (I did use them when walking the halls in the hospital) and a robe (I did use it when walking the halls in the hospital). Other than that, I just wore home the same clothes that I wore to the hospital. I knew that I was only going to be staying one night, so I didn't bring any toiletries.

I did not have a drain placed, thanks be to God. I've heard those are unpleasant to have removed.

21 hours ago, Erin18 said:

Every surgeon is different. And it is always best to follow your surgeon’s requirements. Of course you could negotiate with them but if they say no it’s no.

1. I wasn’t told I could or couldn’t use straws. I used them at times as they helped me sip more carefully.
  2. Vitamins can be a challenge - taste, being able to swallow them or not, etc. Buy a single bottle at a time as you may have to purchase another brand or format. Your surgeon should advise which vitamins you’ll need to take. Subsequent blood test will inform what vitamins you need or don’t need to take
  3. Some do. I wasn’t tested.
  4. As long as the Soup is lump free your fine. Think team Soups, broths, consommés. Invest in a small strainer (I used a tea strainer) to ensure the soup was completely smooth. You could also strain the broth from wonton soups, ramen noodles, or meat & vegetable soups - just be careful
  5. I showered the next day (felt so good). It was also one of the hospital tests to ensure I was able to go home.
  6. Spare knickers & pjs (nicer to wear your own after surgery), basic toiletries, phone, iPad, chargers, lip balm.
  7. I didn’t have a drain.

You’ll probably sleep a lot after the surgery. I couldn’t concentrate to read or watch a streamed program for days after. All the best with your surgery.

On 1/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, Erin18 said:

My surgeon told me that straws are something that come later and to think of myself like a newborn baby learning how to do everything again. I think this really helped me put things into perspective. I'm only 4 days post op but I'm having good time in my opinion.

Vitamins - I was reccomended an all-in-one I'm going to be having Centrum (?) I'd have to go grab my paperwork but I just took my antibiotic pill and it's made me not want to stand for a moment haha.

I think every surgeon is different, I was in hospital for 4 days total. I had many tests and checks and honestly, I didn't even have bandages on any incision except for my drain. They are already looking to be healing nicely.

As for soups... Where I am I was told that my blood pressure will get too low as I had an 88% reduction with my sleeve. They reccomended that I added a spoon of salt to my broths/soups. Then gain I am only having 200ml of broth each day.

For me I can shower as I feel, I had a really big surgery a month before my sleeve so the recovery has been an absolute walk in the park. I showed with my back to the Water, wash myself with a mild unscented soap, pat dry with a clean towel and i have moisturized a little with vaseline (not a lot, barely visible on the tip of my finger). Only one incision is dressed (where my drain was as it has no stitches) and I still clean this one daily with Iodine & redress it. Although I feel the drain varies from country/surgeon.

For my surgery as I was going to be in hospital for 4 days I packed a lot I guess haha:

• Slippers - You have to get up and walk CONSTANTLY, bring yourself some comfy slippers.
  • Really large tshirts, 4 of them. - I bought the biggest I could find, a nightie would work too but at one point I did not want to wear pants because my compression socks would fall in my sleep and I'd have to take them off and fix it... Bending down in the first day or so is really painful.
  • I took my softest and blanket - Hospital blankets just aren't nice for me, I wanted to be super comfy.
  • Laptop - I work from home, spent some time working because I got really bored.
  • Portable phone charger & long phone charger wire. - Depending on your room, it might be hard to reach the outlet, it's better to be prepared.
  • LIP BALM!!!!!!!!!! - You will be so dry
  • Unscented Moisturizer, unscented soap, and a comfort smelling body mist.
    - Moisturizer because you'll just feel so dry, cream your hands, your face anywhere!
    - Unscented soap, I don't know about anyone else but for me everything just smelt like I wanted to throw up, the unscented soap was so that there was really nothing bad in the air haha.
    - The body mist is really light I just would spray one spray on the otherside of my room and let it just sit, hospital smell yuck and if you have a longer stay like I did then it can help to make it feel more comfortable.
  • A pillow - Journey home it's a godsend for the tight seatbelt and also hospital pillows are just not the same haha.
  • Large Sweatpants & Large Hoody - As in bigger than I would ever wear haha, it's the ultimate comfort when you're leaving, you really want nothing at all restricting or just laying on your stomach.

Hopefully I gave you a little insight haha, but it's good that you have questions I just kinda went with the flow and over prepared myself.

On 1/19/2023 at 6:10 PM, Jeanniebug said:

I had RnY gastric bypass on October 18, 2022.

I was told that straws were allowed, as long as they didn't cause gas. So, I've been using straws since the day I came home.

If you get the bariatric Vitamins, then you'll only need to supplement some Calcium. You can buy them separately, but if you do that then you're going to be taking a handful of pills, multiple times a day. And it's really not anymore expensive to just buy the bariatric ones. I got the chewables.

The Soups you can use are going to depend on your stage. If you're on Clear Liquids, then you won't be able to have cream Soups. Once you're on full liquids, then you can have cream soups - you'll just need to strain them.

I was allowed to shower the day after getting home - so on my second day post op.

I packed an extra long phone charger (didn't need it), a heating pad (didn't need it), an Abdominal binder (I didn't use it in the hospital, but I did use it for a couple of days after I got home), an old pair of slippers that I planned to just throw away (I did use them when walking the halls in the hospital) and a robe (I did use it when walking the halls in the hospital). Other than that, I just wore home the same clothes that I wore to the hospital. I knew that I was only going to be staying one night, so I didn't bring any toiletries.

I did not have a drain placed, thanks be to God. I've heard those are unpleasant to have removed.

Yeah the nurse told me I'd have to double up on vitamins if I bought them separately. She also told me the regular pill form of Multivitamins don't absorb as well so she'd recommend the capsule form or the chewables. Which is what I'm going for and I really want the orange flavored ones first. I'd be spending more if I bought them all separately. Told me to not get it with Iron and my surgeon is prescribing iron after surgery.

My surgeon has his patients stay 3 days.

When I had an abscess in my stomach, I had a drain and it was so uncomfortable when they pulled it out!. I had a feeding tube in my stomach as well and that one felt so weird when they pulled that one out!

Girly question. If you get your time of month just before surgery, what do you do??

1 hour ago, Erin18 said:

Girly question. If you get your time of month just before surgery, what do you do??

Let the staff at the hospital know. They have provisions in place.

15 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

Let the staff at the hospital know. They have provisions in place.

So it's okay if you have it? Lol

7 minutes ago, Erin18 said:

So it's okay if you have it? Lol

Yes. They will likely put something under you, or put you in a diaper.