Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All, introducing myself

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and finally joined today. I have gotten a tentative approval for VSG. Final approval is dependent on heart health clearance via results of echocardiogram, which is scheduled mid-February. Hopefully, I can set up my surgery in March. I view Gastric Sleeve and all bariatric procedures, as tools to help, not as a sure fix....it is not the easy way out as some would claim!

I have been severely hypothyroid since I was 20 years old after having most of my thyroid removed because of Graves' Disease (autoimmune hyperthyroid). Although, I take thyroid replacement, synthetic drugs do not work as well as your own natural hormones. For the past 40 years, my weight issues have been cyclical "hills and valleys". I would normally stay slim about 12 years and then would go into a gaining pattern but never topping more than 163, lasting 6 to 7 years before dropping the excess weight again. In 2012, I suffered a head injury and my weight exploded. I went from 117 to 212 in 8 months! The medical community is now starting to study the relationship of TBI's (traumatic brain injury) and weight gain. I can relate a definitive change in my food cravings and appetite. This time, I couldn't get the weight off even though I had a history of successful dieting. My resolve was as strong as ever but something had changed with the head injury. What this proves is the path to losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight is rockier and steeper for some than others through no fault of their own.

The adverse changes to my health was the catalyst that motivated me to look into VSG. I recently had to start on HBP meds and have a been experiencing knee issues. I have always enjoyed an active lifestyle but the extra weight has elevated my fears of a stroke or heart attack due to heart palpitations and shortness of breath with even the slightest exertion.

I am certain I will be asking lots of questions and am grateful for such a knowledgeable and supportive group.

Edited by hills&valleys

Welcome! Its interesting that you say there may be a corallation between TBI and weight gain. My son in law was always slim until he fell and had a severe head injury. He gained a huge amount of weight and developed diabetes because of it. We just thought it was because he wasnt able to be as active and because he sleep eats in the middle of the night. He is also looking into WLS. Good luck to you. I hope you get to have your surgery soon. I am also just waiting for my Echo and my EGD and hopefully will have a date too.

Welcome! Where are you going in CO for your surgery?

42 minutes ago, Merida said:

Welcome! Where are you going in CO for your surgery?

My insurance does not cover bariatric surgery so I am self pay. I am pre-approved with Endobariatric with Dr. Alvarez in Mexico. Dr. Alvarez's fees are double the fees of most of the other bariatric groups in Mexico but his reputation and accreditations were the deciding factor. He is an active member of ASMBS – American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery & IFSO – International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders. He is a sought after speaker within the international medical community focusing on metabolic disorders and bariatric surgery. I am not criticizing other surgeons in Mexico but; I did my research and found the surgeon I felt best fit my criteria for surgery outside of the US.

I see that you are also in CO and recently had your VSG. I would love to hear of your experience and any tips ior wisdom you can impart!

Gotcha. I had a super experience with Dr Weaver at Denver Bariatrics. The best part was only one day liquid diet! My surgery went smoothly and I had very little pain. I'm still a tiny bit tender but it's never been actual pain. I only had very minor gas pains that went away by discharge from the hospital. So far everything has been smooth sailing and no issues at all, but of course I'm only 8DPO so that's not a very good sample time.