Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2023 surgery dates!

On 2/14/2023 at 7:22 AM, nums said:

Today is the day! I’m so nervous. Keep me in your prayers. 2/14/23

Hope your surgery went well! Let us know how you are doing when you get home!

Sleeve scheduled for 2/21/23. The day my life will change forever - I just know it. Day 8 of liver shrinking diet and feeling like my stomach is eating itself some days. I'm sick of Jello and cucumbers, and these Protein Shakes are just too freaking sweet. Why do they make them so sweet, don't they know that we're trying to change our taste buds?

Has anyone else found the Premier Protein clear "juice" drinks? How does your provider feel about them? I think I'll talk to my dietician about these.

I have been ordering Protein shakes by the case to stock up in preparation of this journey - for anyone post-op, how many shakes did you go through before you transitioned back to soft and solid foods?

I have so many questions! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

1 hour ago, Victoria_Faith said:

Sleeve scheduled for 2/21/23. The day my life will change forever - I just know it. Day 8 of liver shrinking diet and feeling like my stomach is eating itself some days. I'm sick of Jello and cucumbers, and these Protein Shakes are just too freaking sweet. Why do they make them so sweet, don't they know that we're trying to change our taste buds?

Has anyone else found the Premier Protein clear "juice" drinks? How does your provider feel about them? I think I'll talk to my dietician about these.

I have been ordering Protein shakes by the case to stock up in preparation of this journey - for anyone post-op, how many shakes did you go through before you transitioned back to soft and solid foods?

I have so many questions! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

So my clinic says to try to get 3 Protein Shakes a day for the first 14 days post surgery before moving to a pureed diet. Personally, I found the collagen Protein Fruit Drinks easier to get down then a lot of the ready to drink or protein powders I already had on hand. Most were either too thick or sweet, I got samples of Braictric fusion which only uses 4-6 oz and those were also a good one as it has 27g of protein and the smaller volume. I ended up ordering some of them last night. 😆

On 2/14/2023 at 3:48 AM, DrinkMoreRadium said:

@gingermem0rialHow are you doing? Yesterday (surgery date) was pretty rough for me and even over night I'm barely getting more than an hours 2 of sleep at a time. Doesn't help that my foley cath isn't draining on its own so i have to alert the nurses everytime I feel full so they can manipulate the tube to drain. The first time I got up to walk, I got the sweats, super hot, and nauseous. The second time was better.

Hope yours is better!

Sorry to hear your recovery hasn’t been the smoothest @DrinkMoreRadium Are you feeling better today? I felt pretty good yesterday and was doing laps in the hall without any help. Thankfully I never had a foley, I can’t imagine that’s very fun. I got discharged yesterday afternoon after trying and keeping down some yogurt in addition to all the Water. Today is another story though. I feel like I can’t get anything in because I feel so full. I hope you’re doing better!

15 minutes ago, gingermem0rial said:

Sorry to hear your recovery hasn’t been the smoothest @DrinkMoreRadium Are you feeling better today? I felt pretty good yesterday and was doing laps in the hall without any help. Thankfully I never had a foley, I can’t imagine that’s very fun. I got discharged yesterday afternoon after trying and keeping down some yogurt in addition to all the Water. Today is another story though. I feel like I can’t get anything in because I feel so full. I hope you’re doing better!

Thankfully I didn't have a Foley either, that would be miserable. I accepted to have one but was quite relieved I didn't get one. I too had a rough night the first night, had pain crisis and trouble sleeping but after my pain was under control things got better. Hopefully things get better for you soon.

@gingermem0rial sounds like your doing pretty good. I just got discharged about 30 min ago. I have only had Water, nothing else. I was doing laps in the hallway as well but the pain is still an issue. Every time i drink hardly enough water to even swallow, my stomach cramps. So I'm already behind on hydration.

6 hours ago, DrinkMoreRadium said:

@gingermem0rial sounds like your doing pretty good. I just got discharged about 30 min ago. I have only had Water, nothing else. I was doing laps in the hallway as well but the pain is still an issue. Every time i drink hardly enough Water to even swallow, my stomach cramps. So I'm already behind on hydration.

I had dry heaves after coming home and was not meeting my hydration goal. Definitely let your medical team know. The nurse upped my nausea medication, and I am slowly getting to where I should be. I found warm liquids caused less cramping. Have you tried broth yet?

41 minutes ago, Rdy4Change said:
7 hours ago, DrinkMoreRadium said:

@gingermem0rial sounds like your doing pretty good. I just got discharged about 30 min ago. I have only had Water, nothing else. I was doing laps in the hallway as well but the pain is still an issue. Every time i drink hardly enough Water to even swallow, my stomach cramps. So I'm already behind on hydration.

I had dry heaves after coming home and was not meeting my hydration goal. Definitely let your medical team know. The nurse upped my nausea medication, and I am slowly getting to where I should be. I found warm liquids caused less cramping. Have you tried broth yet?

Oh I couldn't imagine being nauseous and heaving! That sounds horrible. I'm glad to hear you're doing better. I tried broth at the hospital and that was an immediate no after 1 sip. Lukewarm Water is definitely the least painful option. Hopefully as inflammation starts to go down, the cramps will lessen.

12 hours ago, DrinkMoreRadium said:

I ha dthat issue at first, I found that room temperature or warm not hot water or fluids are better, they tend to not cause the cramping. I had that issue in the hospital because they would bring ice water and it cramped and made I painful to try to drink but if I let it sit out and like eat the ice while I waited for the water to get room temp it was way better. Hope that helps for you too.

Conversion to bypass surgery scheduled for 2/28 due to extreme GERD. Anyone else? Already on day 3 of my pre-op diet.

I have a surgery date of 2/22. I just spoke to my surgeon for my final pre op appointment. I am to eat protien heavy meals with some veg up until 2pm Tuesday then itsnclear liquid after that. Plus I have to drink 32 oz of normal Gatorade before bed and 8 oz the morning of surgery.

I'm so nervous and anxious.

7 hours ago, Teu said:

I have a surgery date of 2/22. I just spoke to my surgeon for my final pre op appointment. I am to eat protien heavy meals with some veg up until 2pm Tuesday then itsnclear liquid after that. Plus I have to drink 32 oz of normal Gatorade before bed and 8 oz the morning of surgery.

I'm so nervous and anxious.

I was NPO after midnight for my surgery. I would just avoid anything red closer to surgery. And the longer you can do the clear liquid fast the better for liver shrinkage it will be. But of course whatever your doctor says is their procedure. You'll do fine, I was nervous and anxious too but don't regret it one bit.

So today has been. A struggle for me. Part of it could be my incisions pain because the way the ab muscles were stitched it pulls when I'm moving or upright. Some of it could be cooking for my family while I get to enjoy Jello, broth and yogurt. But today I have been on a roller coster emotionally.

I went in to get the final clearance for my sleeve on 2/22 and was told I need to get an echo cardio gram. Has this happened to anyone else? Doc says I have a slight heart murmur

I am 3 days post op driving myself crazy trying to understand and make sure I meet these goals! My biggest issue is trying to get these pills down. I have lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia. Along with other chronic illnesses. By the time I get down all these pills I can’t stomach any more Water or Protein. I take 9 pills in the morning (a few I have to open) and 6 pills at night. Any advice I’d truly appreciate it.