Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2023 surgery dates!

On 2/7/2023 at 10:06 PM, Erin18 said:

How does everyone plan out their meals for the day?

I might do tomorrow differently somehow.

What I did was I mainly focused on making sure I got my fluids in. I started my pre-surgery diet 14 days prior, with 3 shakes if I could remember to get them all in and 1 sensible meal (they gave me a list of approved foods) but mainly focused on Water or Protein waters (collagen peptides).

The main reason and idea behind the diet is to help your liver use up its stores of glucagon and fat, so when you go in for surgery your liver will be nice, healthy, and tight tissue instead of being a bit on the softer side which can cause issues not only with visual fields but bleeding if the liver is not tight enough. Not that this is usually too big of an issue but the better you can do pre-surgery the easier the surgery and better recovery will be.

As much of a challenge as pre-surgery diet is, post surgery can be just as challenging. I had surgery on February 6th 2023 and it's been a struggle finding a rhythm to my "eating" which is still mainly liquids.

Good luck 🤞

Doing laundry and putting away clothes I realize I may not ever wear some of these again. It’s a weird feeling.

I have sufficient clothes I think for the first 50 lbs of weight loss, just from prior weight loss. My clothes from when I weighed less are from almost 20 years ago. Maybe they’ll come back in style?

18 hours ago, Rdy4Change said:

I've heard so much about head hunger on this site. So far, I'm just not interested in food at all. It's been hard to meet the calorie and Protein goals.

I am 5 days post-op, anyone into the pureed stage? When did you really start wanting food?

I am one week post op and head hunger has been driving me crazy. Been watching a lot of TV and every time I see a commercial for fast food or something it makes me want to eat.

I just had my gastric sleeve on 2/8/23 and I wish I would have known how good I would feel. I was so scared. Starting on day 3 I just keep feeling a sense of happiness that is amazing! I feel really good- no restriction with fluids, still on clear liquid.

I’ve had no issues, no vomiting, no heartburn, no issues drinking or getting my fluids and Protein in, I feel so freaking good, so happy, it’s as if the surgery just instantly reset my hormones LOL! Not one shred of buyers remorse.

I hope you all have an easy recovery with no pain or issues just as I am having.

Edited by Nikkic53

9 hours ago, nums said:

Today is the day! I’m so nervous. Keep me in your prayers. 2/14/23

Wishing you all the best! The first day was definitely the worse for me, the next day was so much better! Rooting for you!

2 hours ago, Rdy4Change said:

Wishing you all the best! The first day was definitely the worse for me, the next day was so much better! Rooting for you!

The first day or 2 were the worst for me, mostly because I didn't want to take the extra pain meds and ended up in a pain crisis. So don't be afraid to take your pain meds, use them so you can get better quicker. Wish you luck, your gonna do great.

I'm scheduled for the sleeve on Feb 23rd As nervous as I am I'm ready to get this done and over!

10 hours ago, JFreeman said:

I am one week post op and head hunger has been driving me crazy. Been watching a lot of TV and every time I see a commercial for fast food or something it makes me want to eat.

I honestly hate how much they push those food ads. I mean I know that it's not good food and that's part of it but most of my food cravings aren't for fast food, it's things like cheesy scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes with gravy or cheese sauce right now. Lol I think I just want cheese sauce honestly lol

12 hours ago, SirKat said:

Doing laundry and putting away clothes I realize I may not ever wear some of these again. It’s a weird feeling.

I have sufficient clothes I think for the first 50 lbs of weight loss, just from prior weight loss. My clothes from when I weighed less are from almost 20 years ago. Maybe they’ll come back in style?

Yes everything old is new again lol. But I honestly did this prior to surgery, I went through my closet and cleared out about half of my clothes that were getting too big or I knew I wasn't going to wear after. I could have gotten rid of more but wasn't quite ready to part with some things yet. But I know most if not all of my closet is going to have to go. I'm only about a week out from surgery and already almost 10lbs down.

1 hour ago, Ttwaweru said:

How long did it take to get a surgery date? I just started today by submitting my papers for a consultation.

For me it was quite a journey, as I started this journey almost 10 years ago in 2012 with my old doctors and through changes with doctors, insurance and locations it took me that long. This time because my insurance was giving me a bit of a hard time with approval to get my surgery I had 18 months of diet before I got my approval and date. But then I got a bit anxious and switched my surgeon, a decision I don't regret, and got rescheduled. For my insurance they prefer 12 months with at least 6 months of consecutive weight loss.

11 hours ago, Ttwaweru said:

How long did it take to get a surgery date? I just started today by submitting my papers for a consultation.

Mine took just short of 4 months

I started in August 2022. So really 6 months? From day 1, I wanted surgery after 1/1/23 so I had fresh FSA money for deductibles and oop, so the pacing was based on that.

17 hours ago, Nikkic53 said:

I just had my gastric sleeve on 2/8/23 and I wish I would have known how good I would feel. I was so scared. Starting on day 3 I just keep feeling a sense of happiness that is amazing! I feel really good- no restriction with fluids, still on clear liquid.

I’ve had no issues, no vomiting, no heartburn, no issues drinking or getting my fluids and Protein in, I feel so freaking good, so happy, it’s as if the surgery just instantly reset my hormones LOL! Not one shred of buyers remorse.

I hope you all have an easy recovery with no pain or issues just as I am having.

Sounds like you are doing fantastic! I too have been feeling great! Just had my first follow up yesterday and I have had little pain and only get tired in the evenings.