Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bari things that give you the ick

On 1/7/2023 at 6:46 PM, ms.sss said:

"journey"

"3 week stall"

"only x lbs" (in a dismissive way in referring to lbs lost)

and, similar to @Tomo, i have a pet peeve about the ANGST folks unnecessarily put upon themselves when comparing their own results to others without CONTEXT.

Yes, Sally may drop 30 lbs the first month because she started off at 350 lbs, vs Jane who lost "only" 10 and started off at 200. And yes, Joe, who is also 350 lbs lost 50 lbs, but he is like 8 inches shorter than Sally and is a dude. and there is brenda who lost 5 lbs cuz she has a medical condition and hasn't yet learned how to adjust her lifestyle around it.

we all have the same goal: to lose weight. in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter sh*t if i lost faster/slower more/less than some random stranger on the internet.

*rant over*

I see so much "I only lost x in y time, is that okay????" in tiktok comments and it's so exhausting. Sure you "only" lost 20 lbs in 3 months... how much would you have lost if you didn't have the surgery??

On 1/6/2023 at 10:40 AM, summerset said:

I also hate the word "obese". High cringe factor for whatever reason.

Yes! It's used by hospital support personnel much too often. I feel it's a form of degrading, bullying by people who have no understanding or compassion over patients physical struggles. Instead they hold judgement over those patients and have a word they can use without the possibility of being accused of bullying because it's an accepted term.

1 hour ago, Herstorian said:

Yes! It's used by hospital support personnel much too often. I feel it's a form of degrading, bullying by people who have no understanding or compassion over patients physical struggles. Instead they hold judgement over those patients and have a word they can use without the possibility of being accused of bullying because it's an accepted term.

i feel like any word used as a synonym for "fat" and even more so, "very fat" is often construed as offensive and/or mean. especially by those who are. or were.

a young daughter of a friend of mine maintains that "fat" is a bad word.

i suppose alot of it has to do with how the word fat (or obese or heavy or bigger or overweight or large, etc) is used. but the intended use and the eventual receipt of the word(s) is highly subjective.

given that we are a demographic that is very familiar with all these words, i wonder what word everyone would prefer be used? specifically by medical personnel?

p.s. on another note, now that i am on the other side of things (for now, at least), i bristle when people refer to me as "stick" or "nothing" or, my all time (not) favourite: "skinny b***h". i mean, really. 🙄

Edited by ms.sss

2 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

i feel like any word used as a synonym for "fat" and even more so, "very fat" is often construed as offensive and/or mean. especially by those who are. or were.

i suppose alot of it has to do with how the word fat (or obese or heavy or bigger or overweight or large, etc) is used. but the intended use and the eventual receipt of the word(s) is highly subjective.

given that we are a demographic that is very familiar with all these words, i wonder what word everyone would prefer be used? specifically by medical personnel?

p.s. on another note, now that i am on the other side of things (for now, at least), i bristle when people refer to me as "stick" or "nothing" or, my all time (not) favourite: "skinny b***h". i mean, really. 🙄

Funny story about 'obese,' to get approved I had to prove 5 years of morbid obesity. Since I had spent years avoiding cameras I had no photos, and since every physical issues I had was blamed on my weight I rarely went to the doctor. However, on a whim and grasping at straws I got my medical records from our PCP and it turned out I had seen her every year or so and at each appointment she noted I was "Super morbidly obese."

It was the one and only time I've ever been so happy to see myself described that way. It got me my surgery in about 2 months. :)

Good luck,

Tek

11 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I like the word Portly 😂

On 1/7/2023 at 12:20 AM, Smanky said:

100% the word "pouch". It's up there with "moist" for me.

I won't use it. "Smaller stomach" or just plain old "stomach" work fine for me, since I still actually have one despite it's reduced size.

Everything else I'm completely neutral on.

I thought I was the only one who cringes at the word "moist." 🤣

I once heard someone use ‘corporation’ as in that man’s shirt is straining across his corporation. 🤷🏻‍♀️😁

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

I once heard someone use ‘corporation’ as in that man’s shirt is straining across his corporation. 🤷🏻‍♀️😁

well that the first time i heard that one!

On 1/10/2023 at 8:14 AM, ms.sss said:

^This. All this. Especially the bolded.

I get that confronting your own weight isn't nice, I get it. It's not nice to hear you're obese. But certain people on social media trying to insist it's a "slur" just makes me livid. I have NEVER had people yell "Eat a salad OBESEY!" or yell "OBESE!!!" at me from a passing car. It's a medical term. What hand-holding gently-gently kid gloves term is permissible now that everyone's offended by everything?

Had to rant. It really really gets on my wick.

Edited by Smanky

1 hour ago, Smanky said:

"Eat a salad OBESEY!"

ok...i know this wasn't meant to be funny, but it totally was to me! and just the ridiculousness of it said out loud had me and Mr. laughing (i laughed when i read it, he asked whats so funny, i said "eat a salad obesey!", hilarity ensued...)

but yeah, jokes aside, it is very challenging sometimes to navigate around lots of people's real feelings.

maybe the answer would be for a doctor to ask what word(s) a given patient prefers to use to describe their "condition". highly unlikely to be implemented, im sure, but it would sure make for some funny conversations.

ME: please use the word luscious instead of obese.

DOC writes in records: "patient is morbidly luscious".

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

ok...i know this wasn't meant to be funny, but it totally was to me! and just the ridiculousness of it said out loud had me and Mr. laughing (i laughed when i read it, he asked whats so funny, i said "eat a salad obesey!", hilarity ensued...)

but yeah, jokes aside, it is very challenging sometimes to navigate around lots of people's real feelings.

maybe the answer would be for a doctor to ask what word(s) a given patient prefers to use to describe their "condition". highly unlikely to be implemented, im sure, but it would sure make for some funny conversations.

ME: please use the word luscious instead of obese.

DOC writes in records: "patient is morbidly luscious".

It was totally meant to be funny - I can't help myself, even when I'm attempting a serious point! Maybe "obesey" will catch on.

And I love "morbidly luscious". I think that needs to be adopted immediately.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:46 PM, Blessd1 said:

I thought I was the only one who cringes at the word "moist." 🤣

literally the worst word there is. closely followed by panties. 🤢

I definitely get a lot of ick seeing diet culture words and phrases slung around on these message boards as well as sentiments I recognize from folks with eating disorders. Things in the same vein/tone as to “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels…etc” Having had a severe ED in the past and otherwise socialize in diet culture for most of my life I can’t help but cringe in seeing people would have made the choice to grow healthy through weight loss surgery choice to clinging to some of the most problematic diet culture undertones.

I also get major ick seeing people put down their past selves and bodies. I think it’s amazing to feel and confident in your own skin, but there are so many factors that contribute to weight gain and so many ways fat people are misunderstood, treated unfairly and undermined in our society - something most of us have personally experienced to some degree, I hate to see people acting in ways that contribute negative societal construct.