Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 years POST OP bypass, had gallbladder removed and still in pain

Going on 3, maybe 4 yrs post-op. Wow, never thought there'd come a day when I didn't remember. For past 2 yrs I've endured right sided pain. At first I thought it was ovarian but got that checked (was fine) and was a bit high for ovarian. During scans of ovaries/abdomen, it was consistently noted my gallbladder was 'distended'. Sometimes I'd have attacks of pain that would last for hours. I was always stunned when scans would say no 'sludge, no stones, nada' so I thought great, another medical mystery.

Finally when I ended up in ER over Christmas 'sludge' and stones were finally noted so they decided to remove it. I was in so much pain that even getting to ER is a blur (husband drove). I do know surgeon said that while gallbladder removal surgery was technically not a big surgery, the fact that I had gastric bypass did mean surgery may take a bit longer as they had less room to maneuver since abdominal area was 'segmented'. That I remember. I came to, according to my husband, hours later and I wondered wow, why did it take so long?

Has anyone had gallbladder removal post weight loss surgery and experience same thing (procedure took longer, etc.) MAIN reason I'm back here after few yrs of absence is there are no other people I can go to that can give me at least comparative experiences (i.e. they've not had weight loss surgery so we are anatomically "different"). Honestly, my gastric bypass was a CAKEWALK compared to getting gallbladder out. Is this normal or have I become a weenie in 3 yrs? It literally still HURTS. I am now roughly 21 days post op and I still have right sided pain almost like my gallbladder was never removed. I mean, I know it has been but WHY does it feel like something is still just 'not right'?

I figured I was just having a slow recovery and going to hospital/ER is never fun, especially during holidays. Maybe I should have gone back by now as no urgent care place will see me on this. Primary dr not available until tomorrow but what is he going to do besides refer me? Kind of kicking myself for not going back to ER but am always dreading that 'we don't see anything wrong' type conversations...although about 70% of the times I've gone to an ER, there has literally been a legit issue.

My right side hurts...and honestly one area feels like it is burning/on fire. I have no fever. No yellowing of the eyes or skin...so I'm just sitting here in wait mode trying to decide what makes the most sense. Symptoms I am having besides ongoing pain and the burning sensation, is hot flashes/heat waves like NO TOMORROW! (is that from the anesthesia??)...clammy all the time...cold sweats throughout the day, nausea...sometimes brief chills..when I walk I'm having to do the same compression/pain compensation that I had after bypass surgery (although honestly I don't recall constantly feeling like I had to hold my abdomen after bypass surgery. I've done cold packs, heating pads, etc. trying to find some home remedies. I've used up the entire prescription of the muscle relaxer which was the one thing, more than the Tramadol which seemed to give some very very brief relief. Sometimes I feel like my insides are tying themselves in a knot. Only thing I can think of is I'm having abdominal spasming and that..it will abate at some point?

I can't keep having this interfere with work which is another whole issue. When you tell your workplace you are having issues after gallbladder surgery...well, you know how you get that feeling especially from others who have had something like gallbladder removed where it truly was no big deal and they are wondering...why are you struggling? Some know I had gastric bypass surgery but I really don't want to have to spell it out for others..ya know?

Curious to know if anyone else had similar struggles, did it go away...what did you do? Am I an idiot for not already going back to ER to get checked out instead of just continuing to be in pain or does it indeed just take us longer to recover. Interesting side note, if you ever get online access to your medical records from a hospital/doctor, sign up as I was able to read my freaking surgical notes!! Oooh, another sore point - they noted in my surgical notes my gallbladder or some part of it had grown into/adhered to something else it shouldn't have so they had to 'cut it away'...and they also noted a bile leakage they wanted to fix but could not do the preferred 'solution' as they could not maneuver so they went with a Plan 'B' (my wording). I mean...how about you tell me this stuff after the surgery so I don't have to read about it? My husband said I was gone for literal hours - longer than my bypass surgery by far.

Any input even if you sailed through your gallbladder removal is welcome.

Edited by KarenLR75
trying to shorten

I had my gall bladder removed years before bypass. My Surgery was extended as my rotted gallbladder ate my bile ducts so they gad to create and replace them. I don't remember much pain after 10 days. Maybe you should make a visit to the surgeon or at least family doctor.

Have you had an MRI of the area? I would honestly make enough noise that your doctor has a second look. Sometimes you really need to stress to them that you are truly in considerable pain - and that your medical history will prove you're not a hypochondriac or opioid addict.

I haven't had exactly what you describe, but I will say that with my own experience, gallbladders and their removal aren't simple or even cure the issue. I had my gallbladder removed in 2015, years before my WLS. I had a terrible gallstone attack that landed me in ER. Since then, I have had, on and off, gallstone-like attacks despite no longer having a gallbladder. Same sensation. Same building pressure that can bad enough that I have to lie down and just groan the pain out (I live in fear of it happening while driving). I get very sore right under my right rib where my liver is. Then it goes away again within a few minutes, sometimes less, depending on the severity. My gallbladder surgeon was also my WLS surgeon, so I've been able to tell him about it the last couple of times I've seen him. We're keeping an eye on it, and if it gets worse we'll have to talk options, however he's warned me that the "cure" can sometimes cause even worse issues, so I'm unlikely to choose a surgical fix. Apparently what I have can happen - sorry I don't recall the details (I was talking to him right before he did a gastroscopy on me so I was dopey), but from memory, some people can continue to have "attacks" because of new issues with the bile duct leading from the liver.

Anyway, that's a long winded way of saying "chase this up because post-gallbladder-removal issues absolutely happen".

Go back to the surgeon who removed your gall or back to emergency sooner rather than later. You shouldn’t still be experiencing pain & the other symptoms three weeks out. I wonder if you may have an infection.

I had my sleeve surgery about 2 months before you had your bypass. I had my gall removed in June 2021 so 2 yrs later. Gall stones are pretty common after weight loss. I’m surprised no one picked it up or explored the possibility more deeply sooner & you had to experience gall attacks for so long. They picked up my single gall stone about 8 months after my sleeve during a ultra sound of my liver to check it was okay. I had no symptoms. When I had my first attack (yes, it was horrendous too) I I knew what it likely was. Saw my GP, got a referral back to my bariatric surgeon & he removed my gall about 2 weeks after that first attack. Yes the recovery was a little worse than my sleeve but not much - had gas pain which I didn’t with my sleeve & a little more general discomfort for a week or so. I wonder if your surgery & recovery has been longer & more arduous because your gall wasn’t in the best way (lots of inflammation, the adherences, etc.) But definitely seek medical advice.

I was going to say the same thing in fact I will, go back to the ER and or the surgeon who did the surgery sounds like you have an infection and that is serious

I had my gallbladder out 17 years ago, a month after my daughter was born and I still experience pain like that. I call it the phantom gallbladder and one GI doctor said that I wasn't wrong.

After I had my weight loss surgery I mentioned the pain to my surgeon and she said it's possible there could be something wrong with the sphincter.

I have a follow up with my primary today but am fully ready to be sent to ER or go to ER if not directed to. Luckily I've been with this primary for more than a decade...heck...maybe almost 20 years and he knows 1) I am no pain weenie 2) I'm not a hypochondriac 3) I don't seek out pain meds and honestly most don't seem to be worth much HOWEVER when I'm in excruciating pain these days, I'm ready to try anything almost to get even a moment's relief

The pain, as many stated, is almost like before removal. I can be in general discomfort, great discomfort or 'curl into a fetal position and try to breath thru it discomfort'. They don't warn you/inform you that having your gallbladder out is not a magic fix and also I wish I had known more about the downsides of not having a gallbladder, not that this would have changed me getting it removed or not but I sure would have been more mentally prepared.

I have some of the 'follow up if you get these symptoms' type things going on but NOT the heavy hitter ones like jaundice (yellow eyes/skin) nor high fever. I've had blips of a few low grade temps, whatever they call it these days - 99.4, 99.2, 99.8. My daughters and I are odd as our normal body temps almost never show 98.6, we are all 3 about 95% of the time shown as 97.X. I don't know why and if that is even significant or just normal for many ppl.

The discomfort/pain is 'alive' for sure over here (oof, and the bouts of nausea and 'flushing'/redness/clammy-soaked skin). Now I also have a continued burning sensation where..I guess my gallbladder used to be? My stomach gets very bloated/distended. I did a video the other night because I kid you not, I looked like I was 4 or 5 months pregnant. I was a bit taken a back as I'm used to seeing my saggy/deflated stomach and alarmed as I thought...OMG...how much weight have I gained over the holidays...!! (Answer - 8 pounds)...I do know in the past 2 days I've become very constipated so I just know that this is going to end up being a big focus if any scans are done. Yeah, I know...there is a lot of 'stuff' in there.

The Constipation is due to some unwise food choices and the fact that I'm not eating as much Fiber as normal and I tend to have 'cycles' of constipation even when my diet is steady, predictable, relatively low in fat and high in fiber. I've taken stool softeners for past few days and just took a laxative.

Anyone know if 2 to 4 years post surgery, can you have SO much constipation that you look VERY pregnant? For the ongoing pain/discomfort/burning I've tried: Not eating for most/90% of the day, drinking broth, doing a day of Protein Shakes, eating very little, eating a lot (not planned but it happened)..and none of this has impacted/alleviated the discomfort so I'm honestly..puzzled.

Dang, I remember the bypass post op months when sometimes things didn't feel right - in hindsight I had some struggles with abdominal spasms and I'd get scanned and they'd be like 'nope, everything is ok'. I guess I should remember it is OK to go in and be seen and get verified that 'everything is ok' I guess that is why i honestly cringe at the thought of going to ER's, etc. Obviously I mentally know at this point that 'not going' is not a solution either.

My appt with primary is in roughly 2 hours, I'll be mentally prepared to go wherever he feels is best if he does want me to go be 'seen/scanned', etc. TY to all who have taken time to comment. Hopefully for those who have not had their gallbladder removed you now know to do a bit more research/ask questions. Not saying this should change a recommendation to get a gallbladder removed but there are things you may need to do to make adjustments to your 'diet' post removal that did not get mentioned, nor was I fully aware of the gallbladder's role in our bodies and the fact that nothing else that I'm aware of 'leaps' in to take over that role. I SHOULD have done my homework. I've had 2 years of warning that my gallbladder was NOT Happy. I could have been better prepared. Blah..

Will let y'all know what I find out today and spread what my experience shows me/informs me/clarifies for me in the hope it may help someone else out down the road.

Sorry you are going through all of this. I hope they figure it out and get it resolved soon.

Wishing you the best.

Ugh, I did some of my usual minimizing stuff. Dr running some blood tests as my liver enzymes were out of whack when they were checked the day of my surgery.

I'm also very very constipated which I had taken meds to resolve. That will hopefully resolve tonight but I know..I just know that the pain I'm having has nothing to do with that.

He did talk about getting me referred to a gastroenterologist quickly and getting some scans done but I was so out of it while I was there I didn't pin him down on are we doing this as an ASAP thing or ???

I hate when I don't stick to a plan. He did agree that I should not be feeling worse as the days go on....

I’m had mine taken out 3 months after my DS. I felt immediately better after the surgery. It was quick, maybe an hour or less and done by the same surgeon.

I still had “gall bladder” attacks for maybe 2 months after surgery probably because I ate too much fat before I was adapted to life without a gallbladder. But nothing so painful as what you are describing. My liver numbers were also too high but that started before the surgery and is unrelated.

I was back at work 3 days post op and felt it was a very easy surgery to recover from.

I think something is wrong and I hope that you are able to get your doc to take it seriously. I’m sorry you are in so much pain.

Hi, I too am about 2.5 years out from my sleeve surgery, and a search brought me to this thread. For the past month or two, not every time, but a couple of times while in the middle of a Pilates session, I've gotten a sharp pain about 2 inches above and to the right of my belly button. It feels like a strained muscle, and its sharp enough to take my breath away. Usually, If I give the pain a few seconds, it subsides. The night before last, I was sitting up in my bed, and turned at the waist (not awkwardly or forcefully enough to pull a muscle) and it sent such a sharp pain shooting through that area that it shot me out of bed and actually pulsated for a minute or two. Now, I still have a dull, aching pain. I WebMD'd it, and all I could find were gall bladder, pancreas, or hernia. From what I understand about gall bladder pain, its unbearable. This isn't unbearable, just uncomfortable. Just curious as to if your symptoms sounded similar to this or if anyone might have an idea as to whether or not it could be surgery related? Unfortunately, my surgeon had some personal problems and has been on hiatus a few months, and his nurse just quit, so I am not even sure who to reach out to. Thanks for any input!

11 hours ago, LAJOSPA said:

This isn't unbearable, just uncomfortable. Just curious as to if your symptoms sounded similar to this or if anyone might have an idea as to whether or not it could be surgery related? Unfortunately, my surgeon had some personal problems and has been on hiatus a few months, and his nurse just quit, so I am not even sure who to reach out to. Thanks for any input!

My symptoms (both with my gallbladder and post-gallbladder removal) when I have an attack is a gradual (usually within two minutes) increase in pressure just under the ribcage on my right side, right where my gallbladder used to be. It's not sharp, or instant like yours is, but It IS unbearable once it's in full swing, and I'm usually rolling around on the bed or the floor groaning, swearing and breathing it out until it mercifully goes away. So what you're describing sounds different to a gall attack, or like in my case : a post-gallbladder removal duct blockage that lasts around a minute or two. Does your surgeon's office have someone they can pass you on to until your surgeon returns?