Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Trouble ?

Hi sleevers , I had my blood tests checked post operatively as is the norm .I received a phone call from my G.P. to tell me the liver ones had come back looking not within normal levels .He said he was writing to my Surgeon to ask what my pre-surgery levels were in comparison to the ones just done BUT if they were the same , I should never have had the operation .

He told me to take it easy , try not to worry and I have them retested tomorrow . Meantime the Surgeon hasn't replied to his request for the pre-op blood tests ,and I am a bit concerned .When I asked the surgeon what my liver looked like after the surgery (I knew I had a non alcoholic fatty liver ,it was discovered years ago and put down to all the meat I ate on the Atkins diet .I don't drink ) but the Surgeon said my liver was thin .No mention of rippling fat on it .I haven't got yellow skin or eyes , but on the dipstick wee test my leukocytes are off the chart , no bilirubin , but occasionally blood .I have a rash on both sides of my body , below my breasts and round to the side (not boob rash ).

Anyone got any thoughts ? or experiences ? many thanks X

What specific test came back out of normal range? because a liver panel has like 10 different test... I have one that recently came up high which is called biliruben and the surgeon had me sent out for a ultrasound and when that came back normal last Friday i had a HIDA scan which is a nuclear medicine test and that came back normal so nothing to worry about for now.

Hi liveaboard , I don't know .I was a bit shocked to get the call as it was past docs opening hours one evening .I couldn't take in much as I don't know much about the tests .Tomorrow I have a whole host of blood tests being done plus a urine test .It's good that you are AOK though .He put me on Iron tablets too because I was a bit low which is pretty normal I think .I just did my Leukocytes now and they are normal .Hopefully , all will have settled again , it's probably just the surgery .

After my first set of test i had to take extra Iron supplements because my levels were a little low. After taking it the next set of test 3 months later it came back normal. I typically always get my test results back before the doctor even calls me. My hospital has a portal where you can view all of your test. When i had my HIDA scan i got the results posted on my account before i could even get back home and that was last friday and i still have not gotten a call or anything from the surgeons team to let me know how it went lol. But yea let us know what test exactly came back out of range once you find out. I always get my own lab test done apart from what my surgeon does. i buy them online and go to a lab to get the blood drawn. I just went a few days ago and did another liver panel and the one result that was out of range was getting closer to being in range so thats good.

high liver enzyme values are not at all unusual during the rapid weight loss phase. Losing weight quickly is hard on livers. Unless there's something else going on here, your levels should stabilize once your weight loss slows way down. Your bariatric surgeon should know this. My PCP freaked when she saw my liver enzyme values that first year, too - but she was later told that this was fairly common. When we retested again a few months later, they were normal.

thanks Catwoman , I'm hoping it's just that x

Same thing happened to me. As @catwoman7 said this is pretty common with our weight loss. It’s tough on our liver & lots of hormones, triglycerides, etc. stored in your fat are released into your bloodstream as you lose weight. Always a good idea to keep watch on it but it’s likely once your weight stabilises your levels will revert to what they were before surgery or be better.

Thanks Arabesque , surely it will be that and not problems from the non alcoholic fatty liver disease .x

My latest results were much better BUT it has raised my awareness about Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease which is much more serious than I believed .I looked on the Britishlivertrust.org.uk at the stories and facts of NAFLD and realised it can take the same pattern as alcoholic fatty liver disease .I am so grateful my results were much improved , it is pretty scary reading .