Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you wished you would have packed for your hospital stay....

35 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

for after the hospital a walking cane helped a ton with getting around the house and especially getting up out of a chair.

Oh, I never thought of that!

Has anyone used an abdominal binder right after surgery?

11 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I agree that you may be awake. I wasn’t in a great deal of pain and asked to be taken off the pain meds so I was awake too. I am pretty easily occupied by my phone but if you prefer to read or crochet or something else, Bringing that is not a bad idea. If you have someone coming to visit they can always bring things too. The reason they say not to pack alot is that you are separated from your bag during surgery and recovery and I don’t even know where they keep it cause you don’t have a room until you leave recovery. I definitely wouldn’t bring anything you would be upset to lose but I do agree that you may want something to occupy your time.

They say I will be there for 2 nights, I am hoping that is the longest I am there. My husband will be staying at a hotel near the hospital and will be coming to visit me often :)

24 minutes ago, Lisa XO said:

I was awake a lot more than I was asleep, so I wish I had brought a book or my laptop. My phone just wasn't enough to keep me occupied for my wakeful recovery. I know a lot of people sleep but you never know if you may be the one who doesn't. With weight restraints, I would have brought a paperback book or kindle. I also would have brought a small bottle of mouthwash.

If I think of anything else, I will update. Just got home!

Edit to add what I brough and used or didn't:
cell phone bank charger (used it)
cell phone cable (used it)
cell phone stand to read without holding the phone, I had it on my tray. (used this, obv)
robe (didn't use)
button front pajama shirt and shorts (didn't use)
toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick, face wipes (used all of this)
hairbrush (used)
kept my hair in braids but it still managed to get very tangled
small notebook and pen (used)

Like others, I wore the same clothes to and from the hospital. I wore joggers, a tshirt, a zip front hoodie, socks and slip on sneakers.

Thank you Lisa! You are a trooper! It sounds like you are doing well after your procedure!

7 minutes ago, PNWgrandma said:

Has anyone used an Abdominal binder right after surgery?

I asked the doc if he does the binder and he said he doesn't usually but I could request it. I ended up not requesting and it was fine. However, if you are concerned about it, def ask for one. I can understand how they help.

Take your biggest comfiest pants. I wore sweatpants that fit just right but they suddenly were so tight after the surgery because of all the gas they pumped in. Take your loosest fitting ones!

Also, leave a throw pillow in the car. Compressing the incisions w it helped a TON while getting in & out of the car. Also using it at home helped a bunch. Makes moving around much easier

I also got my surgery done w Kaiser & it was a great experience. I hope yours goes well too!

Edited by bbykitty

On 12/28/2022 at 10:56, liveaboard15 said:

So i packed a bunch of stuff. After surgery i literally needed nothing other than my charger for my phone lol. I slept most of the time.

Same!

1 hour ago, PNWgrandma said:

They say I will be there for 2 nights, I am hoping that is the longest I am there. My husband will be staying at a hotel near the hospital and will be coming to visit me often :)

They told me two nights as well, but because I didn’t have any issues they let me go after one night. Fingers crossed. It will be the same for you.

2 hours ago, PNWgrandma said:

Has anyone used an Abdominal binder right after surgery?

they literally put one on me before i even woke up from the surgery. Told me to keep it on for several days post op.

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

They told me two nights as well, but because I didn’t have any issues they let me go after one night. Fingers crossed. It will be the same for you.

Me too! Thanks

33 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

they literally put one on me before i even woke up from the surgery. Told me to keep it on for several days post op.

I am contemplating buying one just in case. My friends said it was a life saver :)

58 minutes ago, jwonder said:

Heating blanket! Hospitals are always sooo cold.

I asked about this. This Kaiser has the solar blankets they pump heat into! I am excited about this :)

2 minutes ago, PNWgrandma said:

I am contemplating buying one just in case. My friends said it was a life saver :)

in the hospital after i woke up the binder was well tight and it was bothering me so i removed it when the nurses left and lets just say i regretted it,... That binder held in all the fat and prevented everything from moving. I had them put it back on lol

1 hour ago, bbykitty said:

Take your biggest comfiest pants. I wore sweatpants that fit just right but they suddenly were so tight after the surgery because of all the gas they pumped in. Take your loosest fitting ones!

Also, leave a throw pillow in the car. Compressing the incisions w it helped a TON while getting in & out of the car. Also using it at home helped a bunch. Makes moving around much easier

I also got my surgery done w Kaiser & it was a great experience. I hope yours goes well too!

Thanks for the advice. I am going to buy me a cozy pair of sweatpants after work. I never thought about a pillow, but it makes sense.

It has been a long process with Kaiser, let me tell you. I have been in the program well over a year. I have a super surgeon and the hospital I am going to is nice :)