Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5K

So, once you've finished the program (for those that have finished) do you find yourself running because you like it? Or have you gone back to whatever you were doing before?

So, once you've finished the program (for those that have finished) do you find yourself running because you like it? Or have you gone back to whatever you were doing before?

yes I love it. I will probably keep up with it forever! losingjus inspired me to want to run in a marathon.

Is there another program to increase speed or distance after the C25K? I don't want to stop once we finished this.

Day 1 of Week 2 last night - woohoo!! I was achy last night but I feel great today. I can already see a difference in my leg tone :P

wombat,

it was suggested to me to just keep running. if you like running the long distances, do that and just gradually add distance (no more than 10% a week is a good guideline)

Is there another program to increase speed or distance after the C25K? I don't want to stop once we finished this.

Day 1 of Week 2 last night - woohoo!! I was achy last night but I feel great today. I can already see a difference in my leg tone :P

I believe coolrunning also has another program to do afterward to increase your running to 1 hour.

Thanks LJM and Babygrl!! I will check out cool running for their next work out plan :) I don't think I want to go past an hour so I like the idea of adding 10%. Would that be a week or each run?

Do y'all know if it's ok to do leg exercises on the same days you run? It's not weights - more like squats and things to tone.

hi wombat

its not time, it's distance ... so get that endurance up then start going for speed ... 10% a week.

not sure about squats, i dont think it would be a big deal...

So ive been running now for 3 months in the gym now every other day sometimes 3 day in a row.

Today one of those experianced runners walks by sees me as he has seen me many times before and gives me the ol nod....

What an encouragement that was! weird... so if your an expercianced runner gives us newbies a nod!

I know some of you ladies here get the nod from men alot but this is different

LOL Daddy..I love it! It must feel pretty cool to get an acknowledgement from that elite group! Enjoy it.

I am finishing up week 3 tomorrow. I don't think I have ever done week 4, I usually have something that throws me off track by now. I am really excited and feeling great. I am looking forward to running my first 5K which is scheduled March 30th. I may be repeating this info, if so, sorry...just really excited!

Sweet-wtg on the continuing running. I bought a runners handbook yesterday online..hopefully it will ship soon. I think that will motivate me to increase my endurance and speed correctly when I am done with the C25K. I will let you know how it is when I get it.

Travel-I love what you said about what you are doing now being a lot more than what you were doing last year. That is so true and a great perspective. I love it! And next year we will be looking back and saying the same thing as we are running our marathons...one can dream right?

Well.... you all have inspired me!

I started the Couch to 5K program today. I am siked! I did 1.2 miles today. Half walking, half jogging. I was pooped when I came home. lol

cheer2.gifTo help really motivate myself, I registered for the Run Down Crime 5K they are holding in Tucson for the Tucson Police Association. thumb.gif

The run is in September so I have LOTS of time to get ready! This is my main exercise goal for the year. I MUST do this! No failing allowed. biggrin1.gif

I am doubling up the program sice I am SOOOO out of shape. So I am stretching it to 18 weeks. :D

Meh. I'm going to have to convince myself somehow to get up in the morning and do this, instead of going by my plan to do it in the evenings. So far EVERY evening this week, something has come up to keep me from doing this. I'm SO not a morning person, so this is one of my biggest challenges, and one of the reasons I'm not farther along in my journey. I can't seem to stay motivated to exercise, and I have an awful time making myself get up in the morning to do it.

travelgirl,

i feel you ... i just cannot physically push myself in the afternoons like i can in the mornings.

that being said, i havent worked out in the early morning all week long. i just cannot bring myself out of bed at 410am to do it. lazy lazy lazy me... :)

Ok did Week 2 Day 2 yesterday :) Much easier than Day 1!! I peeked at Week 3 and that has me a little nervous trying to run 3 min straight! EEGADS!!!

I must be sick - I'm really starting to enjoy this and I look forward to my jogging day!! (no stones please - I bruise easily :eek:)

wombat

You guys keep it up

Welcome LA! Glad we got you going.

Dont be nervous! i got nervous everytime it was a new week but you will get through it and be stoked with yourself.

TOday i ran for 35 mins and walked 5 min to hit 5k (im slow) so 40 mins to hit 5k or 3 miles. Who would of thought i could do it!

whosya! I am right there with you! Today I also ran 35 mins and walked 5. I ran 3.20 miles. So i ran the 3 and walked the 2.0. I officially run 5Ks. Yup, I'm a runner. I only hope to get the "runner's nod" like you!

Kay- yeah, tell me how that book is, I am interested. I don't know if i will ever be an outdoor runner. I have now injured my knee somehow. I noticed it hurting in Rome, we walked and walked and walked some more, and it went away over christmas and now today it started bothering me again. it's on the outside of it, almost feels as if something is catching in there. I hope I don't have a torn maniscus(sp?). My husband has that in both knees, and has had one clipped so far and needs the other done, and it's a very painful recovery.

LA- Thats a great idea to double up. In the first few weeks you may surprise yourself and not need to double up. That's awsome that you signed up for the 5k!

Wombat- I do do leg exercises the same day that I run. I do get injured a lot it seems so I'm not sure if it's good to work out your legs after running. I have a problem with shin splints a lot and now my right knee is killing me.