Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, I had a VGS on 22nd Nov and now 4weeks PO. I’ve lost 22lbs so far (11lbs of this on the LRD pre surgery). I was hoping for a little more progress than where I’m at currently, I’ve been sitting at a loss of 22lbs for the last 2 weeks - I know of the 3 week stall period, just want to see if anyone had had similar losses to me in their first 4 weeks to see if I’m on track, as often posts I see it seems everyone has massive losses in the first month or so and mine seems a little low :( starting weight was 250lbs ans I’m 5ft 8in for reference - thank you

Hi there! I was just going to post about this very topic. Noticed your post and thought I would comment. I got the sleeve done on November 30th. It’s been 20 days and I’ve lost 14 lbs. it doesn’t seem like much to me! I don’t know I was expecting a little more.

You guys have to keep your expectations in check. (Not meant rudely)

14 lbs in 20 days is more than a half pound a day! That is at LEAST 15 lbs in a month! That is fantastic! That is not slow, very average if not above average.

It takes time, your body can only do so much but just keep following your plan and next thing you know you will suddenly be like "whoa when did I get so much smaller"

Hello and welcome in this forum. I weighed in, heavier than you. I lost 15lbs during my 3 week pre op. Then 27lbs in the first month. So you seem on track to me. What kind of foods are you eating and are you tracking your Proteins and calories ?

Everyone has a different weight loss journey and its not a great idea to compare with others. Medications, age, height and medical issues are different with each person. This leads to different weight loss. Also how much you can walk or exercise can benefit weight loss.

Thank you for the advice! Made me feel better you’re right I guess I shouldn’t be complaining.

Thanks everyone, I’m still pleased with what weight loss I’ve had already and I know everyone is different so shouldn’t compare to others but seems like everyone’s loss has been greater so just want to make sure it seems like I’m on track. Fully aware I won’t loose 60lbs overnight haha! only just moved onto soft food (no puree stage) been on liquid for 4 weeks. I’m tracking what I’ve started to eat on my fitness pal it’s still only circa 700/800 cals a day as portions and Snacks are small, getting my 60g Protein and Water intake as per my plan so everything seems on track for what I’m supposed to be doing. I feel great in myself - started to incorporate walking daily - I know I’m still early days so only time will tell 😊

I lost 16 lbs the first *month* and started at almost 400 lbs - so you are doing fine! I think a lot of people's expectations come from shows like "My 600 lb Life", but you have to keep in mind those people have starting weights of 600-900 lbs - so they are MUCH heavier than the average WLS patient. And starting weight is a big factor in how fast the weight is going to come off (or at least at first). The closer you are to a normal BMI, the slower it goes, unfortunately...(and at a starting weight of 250 - you're much closer to a normal BMI than I was - let alone a contestant on "My 600 lb Life"!)

anyway, hang in there. If you follow your program to a "T", the weight will come off. Your level of compliance is a MUCH greater indicator of your ultimate success than your rate of weight loss is.

Edited by catwoman7

I agree with everyone above, your progress is amazing!! I would recommend sticking to non-scale victories in the mean time because sometimes the number on the scale isn't the only indicator of progress (personally I feel more accomplished when I notice non-scale victories)

Make sure you track inches! I only lost 4lbs in my 2nd month (had a medication & hormone change) but I lost a whole pant size! Progress is more than the number on the scale 😊

I lost 19 pounds in the first month, but I was also almost 400 pounds. 11 pounds or 14 pounds in a month is very good (especially if you're starting under 300 pounds).

I think we can't help comparing ourselves to others, we're only human. If you stick to your programme post op you will surely lose weight and the more closely you stick to it the better you should do. Best of luck!

Edited to say I lost 17lbs in the first 6 weeks after my sleeve and I reached my goal weight about 10 months post surgery. Am still losing very lowly after 13 months.

Edited by Spinoza

On 12/20/2022 at 4:36 PM, murphygirl1 said:

Hey, I had a VGS on 22nd Nov and now 4weeks PO. I’ve lost 22lbs so far (11lbs of this on the LRD pre surgery). I was hoping for a little more progress than where I’m at currently, I’ve been sitting at a loss of 22lbs for the last 2 weeks - I know of the 3 week stall period, just want to see if anyone had had similar losses to me in their first 4 weeks to see if I’m on track, as often posts I see it seems everyone has massive losses in the first month or so and mine seems a little low :( starting weight was 250lbs ans I’m 5ft 8in for reference - thank you

I lost a little under 20 pounds in the first four weeks. We're the same height and my highest weight was 249 pounds, and I was 242 pounds on the day of the surgery.

Twelve weeks after WLS I'd lost almost 29 pounds after surgery and 35 pounds total. Today, it's been 20 weeks since surgery and I've lost 38 and a half pounds since surgery, and 45 pounds overall.

I've seen people who've lost more, but many of them have higher BMI than I have. I'm 20 weeks from surgery and already half way towards my goal, so I'm happy with that. We all lose at our own pace. I've already had two major stalls and that happens to anyone, I understand.

On 12/25/2022 at 12:06 PM, Spinoza said:

I think we can't help comparing ourselves to others, we're only human. If you stick to your programme post op you will surely lose weight and the more closely you stick to it the better you should do. Best of luck!

Edited to say I lost 17lbs in the first 6 weeks after my sleeve and I reached my goal weight about 10 months post surgery. Am still losing very lowly after 13 months.

Reaching your goal in 10 months is very good. I'm not expecting to reach my goal until 18 months after surgery. I've heard that the weight loss slows down after six months or so, Was that your experience too?