Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose your goal weight?

I never chose a goal weight. At 1/4 ton overweight I would have killed to get within 100 pounds of an overweight BMI. Anything better was too far beyond reason in my mind. As it turns out I shot past a normal BMI before I managed to get back up.

I had 16 pounds removed during my abdominoplasty.

Good luck,

Tek

I changed mine a few times. When I first started the program, I told them 200 lbs. I was so shocked when they said that was entirely possible, since weighing 200 lbs was a pipe dream for me at the time. When I got down to about 220, I told the dietitian I wanted to shoot for about 170. She said if I worked really hard at it, I might be able to make it. When I got down there, I said now I wanted to shoot for 150. They told me that was pretty unrealistic, because only about 10-15% of their patients get to a normal BMI (150 is in the normal BMI range for my height). Not only did I hit that, but I kept going until I hit 138 (I've since gained back about 20 lbs - but I was more-or-less expecting that since I know most people do have a 10-20 lb rebound after hitting bottom)

Edited by catwoman7

1 hour ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

My surgeon's office said that most people who reach their goal weight are carrying around 5-10 pounds of excess skin.

Waking up 5-10lbs lighter at a low weight sounds like a dream lol. I hope I can get mine removed eventually!

I picked mine as the weight I'd been at various times in my adult life and had been happy with. Turns out my body had slightly different plans - am going with it as far as I can. Happy to lose a *little* more to provide a buffer for regain somewhere down the line. Twice in the last week people close to me have told me I don't "need" to lose any more weight. Pi**es me off mightily that folks need to comment in that way. My BMI is now within the 'normal' range. Who would say that to anyone else ever?

My initial goal was 159, which brought me to a normal BMI. Once I achieved that, I revised my goal to 150, just because. Now that I achieved 150, I have sent a tentative new goal of 145, which is my Ideal Body Weight. I'm in no rush to to get there, though, and I feel like I might be starting to look too thin. Overall, I am beyond thrilled with how much I have lost... so much more than I thought was possible!

I picked 75kg, because I vaguely remembered that being my weight back in 1998 when I was at my thinnest and wearing a size US 8/ AUS 12. I set that as my goal, as I felt confident at that weight. My surgeon's goal for me was 80kg, but I was just fixated on being the 1998 size again. I've well surpassed his, and even slipped under mine. Beyond this I'd like to get to 73kg for that bit of wiggle room, but I don't want to lose too much more as I'm already quite skinny looking.

My goal of 140 lbs. was set for a normal BMI classification for someone 5'3". I began maintenance at 140 but continued to lose while trying to find the magic calorie maintenance number. As long as I don't enter the medically underweight (or overweight) category, then I will just keep doing what I am doing.

Not every one reaches their goal weight. The average is a loss of about 65% of the weight you have to lose to be in a healthy range at around the three year mark for sleeve or bypass. This takes in the common 3rd year regain, compliance, lifestyle, etc. of course some exceed this & some don’t reach it.

Love it or hate it BMI can be a good guide or starting point. If you’ve a larger frame look to the higher end of your BMI range. A small frame then the lower end of the range. Medications, age, general health, etc. can all influence what a healthy weight is for you as well the weight you feel most comfortable. Then there is your body’s new set point - a gift of the surgery. This is the weight your body is happiest at. It may not be the weight you wanted but it will be a weight that will be easier to maintain.

I chose a weight which had been the weight I’d be able to get down to in the past (always bounced between 60-75 kgs) & my surgeon agreed it was an appropriate & realistic goal (interestingly it would have been 75% of what I did lose). My body had a different idea & I lost more. My set point put me at a weight lower than my goal. For years I was told I had a larger frame. But when the weight went the truth was I have a smaller frame & my lower weight is fine for me.

I haven’t had any skin removal because I felt I didn’t have that much & it wouldn’t be worth the surgery, recovery & scaring. But that’s me. They’d probably remove less than 1kilogram of lose skin from all over my body.

Depends on the goal weight you're talking about.

The one I tell my team to prove that I have a realistic understanding of what my surgical outcome is likely to be? I punched in my numbers to an online outcome calculator, rounded down so that they had the opportunity to gently adjust my expectations. I don't remember what this number is, because I could not care less about it.

The one I use for my usual calculations and plans at this stage?

I used an ideal body weight calculator (there are a number of different equations) and picked the highest version to be realistic.

The secret one that I rarely admit or factor into planning?

It's the one above, minus 10% of the amount of weight I would have lost at that body weight to buffer against expected weight gain. I doubt I'll reach this one, it depends on how I feel and whether plastic surgeons have a minimum weight requirement.

I dunno, it doesn't really matter all that much at this point. I have no idea how much weight will come off from plastics and top surgery, how much weight I'm stuck with because it's extra bone or organ tissue that supported my fat body, and how my transition would realistically affect those calculations anyway.

My goal weight was decided between my Medical Weight Loss provider and myself.

She asked me what I thought. I told her that I thought 145 would be good, because that's where I was after having 2 kids and not losing the weight.

She told me that because of my age, 155 would be a better weight for me. So, I split the difference and came up with 150.

My surgeon said that he believed I would be at 163, in my first year. And really, I think I would be super happy with that, even.

So, my declared goal is 150. But, I think somewhere between 150 and 160 would be fine. :)

My team has never mentioned goal weight but has spoken about the average weight loss with the surgery.

I originally picked 180 but figured if I'm making this change, I was going all in to 160, this was my weight since from 11 to 28, and I felt comfortable, just needed to tone.

I ran into a video that said your goal weight should be 20 lbs above your normal weight which ended up being 160 so that worked out. I know there is a possibility I will not hit it but I will be okay with 180.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am going with the weight of my original goal from when I first started WW.

Back then WW (I think they still do) had a strict number you had to stick to. All according to your sex, height, age and BMI. Which for me was like 125lbs. When I was discussing this with my doctor at the time, she said I would probably look sick and malnourished, due to my body type. So, we went with 150-160lbs. She said when I get there, we can look at the numbers again.

On 12/14/2022 at 12:53 AM, Smanky said:

I picked 75kg, because I vaguely remembered that being my weight back in 1998 when I was at my thinnest and wearing a size US 8/ AUS 12. I set that as my goal, as I felt confident at that weight. My surgeon's goal for me was 80kg, but I was just fixated on being the 1998 size again. I've well surpassed his, and even slipped under mine. Beyond this I'd like to get to 73kg for that bit of wiggle room, but I don't want to lose too much more as I'm already quite skinny looking.

We are almost the same height and have a similar goal weight. I will be at normal BMI at 75 kilos based on most calculators, but I wanted a little wiggle room, so that's how I chose 74 kilos. Secretly, I'd like to be 73 kilos, since that would be 40 kilos even from my highest weight.

Ironically, when I was 72-74 kilos in my twenties, I wanted to be under 70 kilos. I had friends who were 60 something or even 50 something kilos, and I envied them, but I didn't factor in that they were shorter than me.

Edited by Sunnyer

I chose 118-120 lbs because that’s what I weighed when I worked out regularly and ate right back when my son was little. I’m still 15 lbs away but taking it slowly so I can enjoy wine🍷 in the process