Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone explain "restriction" to me?

Congratulations to the OP on overcoming the big 'C'.

At 19 years post-op my restriction is the same was it was at about 6 months post-op. The restriction is still a very active part of my life. It was never even hinted that the restriction was temporary or not a long term part of my solution. Being a binge eater, if my restriction eased I would have returned to binge eating. It hasn't and I haven't.

I don't know if I did or didn't do something right or wrong but I'm glad my surgery is still in full force and function. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Another aspect of restriction is that if one doesn't chew well, a chuck of food can get stuck which will result in pain and can compel retching until it is up and out. This is not as fun as it sounds. Chewing well enough was something I had to focus on for the first few months.

I had an open surgery which means I was cut from stem to stern and opened up. I ended up with a drain because they couldn't reach something related to removing my gallbladder, bile ducts IIRC, and some 30 odd staples neither of which were the joys one would expect. The vast majority of people then and more so now have laparoscopic surgeries which involve 3 small holes and rarely a drain.

Good luck,

Tek

11 hours ago, jacquiecdv said:

Yes, I heard. Actually the idea of the drain was worse than they actually were when I had my mastectomy. More than anything I was concerned that "restriction" was something like non-stop bowel distress or vomiting.

I did not have any drains after surgery. From what I understand, they are RARELY used for VSG - more common for RNY or SADI.

Well, I'll be getting one drain that will just be in overnight. It'll be unplugged the following morning. To prevent, my surgeon joked, my having to "slosh around,"

8 hours ago, Helen Bauzon said:

One of the biggest mis-understandings or hope to achieve post weight loss surgery, is that the surgery will force the individual to stop on a certain amount of food, or restrict the.

This is not the goal of surgery long term. Short term sure, swelling can provide false sense of restriction. However surgery has a stretch factor.

If it is helpful for you, I have created a 20min master class video comparing all surgeries and how to get the most out of each surgery regrading appetite and portion support control.

The following link will help you watch the video https://helen-bauzon1.aweb.page/p/776a1a9a-fd05-4851-a838-208a39db2975

Feel free to clarify any questions

Thank you. That video was very informative. One week till surgery, and I'm nervous but ultimately very excited.

10 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

This is not as fun as it sounds

I imagine not. (rueful laugh)

On 12/14/2022 at 6:47 AM, kcuster83 said:

I did NOT have drains after WLS.

Depends on the surgeon.

I didn’t have any either. I think maybe it depends on what happens during your surgery to warrant them.

On 12/13/2022 at 4:30 PM, Sunnyway said:

I hope you know that there will be a drain or drains following your bariatric surgery! I found them uncomfortable but bearable.

I did not have any drains after my surgery at all. I had the sleeve though i guess that may be a difference in the need for the drain(s)?

No drains for my sleeve either. I also work in an OR and do bariatric surgery and have never seen a drain have to be placed after. I’m in the US so maybe it varies in other countries or maybe even US states. But I’m my experience I haven’t seen them have to be placed.

On 12/14/2022 at 06:12, Sandra01C.Decker said:

But... how to avoid that?

You are very encouraged to chew your food until it is like applesauce. Also when in the different food stages sauces and a higher moisture content helps the food go down easily, especially if you are recovering from additional hiatal hernia surgery. I tend to weight and measure my food, but also work to eat slowly so that I hear and feel my body’s satisfied signals. Listening to my body is still something I’m learning about every day.

On 12/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, Sunnyway said:

I hope you know that there will be a drain or drains following your bariatric surgery! I found them uncomfortable but bearable.

I didn't have any drains

No drains here either (sleeve). Hope your surgery went well OP and you're out the other end now.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:12 AM, Sandra01C.Decker said:
On 12/13/2022 at 12:57 AM, jacquiecdv said:

Ok. So it's not necessarily eating one bite too much and projectile vomiting for an hour. Thank you. Sounds a bit more mellow than I imagined.

There should be no "projectile vomiting". The moment you have the merest inkling that you've had "enough", stop eating. This is a subjective feeling. If you feel your saliva increase, stop. If you feel a tightness in your chest (which is where the pouch is located, not lower in your belly), stop. Do not eat to "fullness". Immediately post-surgery is when you will learn how to eat differently. It's very important to take advantage of this.

If you feel plugged up, you can put your finger or the bowl of a spoon at the back of your throat and up-chuck into the kitchen sink. It's NOT projectile vomiting. It's not bulimic vomiting--it just clears out the overfull pouch that is causing the meal contents to back up into your esophogas. It's not vomiting at all--there is no bile. It's just the masticated food you last ingested. Deliberate up-chucking will give you relief. However, repeated up-chucking can stretch the pouch, so take heed and stop eating before you reach the point of discomfort.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:12 AM, Sandra01C.Decker said:

" Ok. So it's not necessarily eating one bite too much and projectile vomiting for an hour. Thank you. Sounds a bit more mellow than I imagined."

It's unlikely that you would ever projectile vomit. If you overeat and get uncomfortable you may make yourself up-chuck to bring it up. A finger or spoon at the back of your throat will trigger the gag reflex and help you bring it up.

Same as others I feel the chest tightness when I eat too much or more often too much, too quickly. Before surgery I imagined it would be a stuffed full feeling in my stomach like Thanksgiving dinner but instead it’s mild chest tightness like acid reflux.