Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband to Gastric Bypass after 12 years with band

Hello My name is Jenny.

I had my lapband inserted in August of 2010. I was 23 at the time and the lapband was popular at that time. Plus my mother was a big influence on me choosing the lapband over the gastric bypass at that time. I just recently been feeling a burning sensation where the band is located near the head of the stomach and pain when during my torso. The pain is gone now but lasted for about 2 months now the area is numb. I went to my original surgeon 2 months ago and we scheduled an endoscopy which will be done on December 15th, 2022. When we were talking he brought up that in the 12 years that I've had the lapband that research showed that the lapband was only temporary and leave in time was only 10 years and so is suggestion, whether the endoscopy shows erosion or slippage is to take out the lapband altogether. However, he suggested converting to a gastric bypass. I'm deathly afraid of a gastric bypass and suggested a gastric sleeve (in my mind, it's safer) but he said that with my health (BMI: 36, high blood pressure, metabolic syndrome, PCOS, high cholesterol, diabetes type II) that the gastric bypass will give me better results than the sleeve.

I did not have any success with the lapband. After my one week checkup post-op, I had gained 7 pounds which was due to swelling and the doctor (same surgeon I'm still seeing today) accused me of eating hamburgers and pizza and drinking soda at night when everyone was asleep. I remember my mother was in the room with me and he turned to her and asked "well let me ask you ma'am? does she have her own room?" and my mother replied "well of course she does?" and he asked her "do you go to sleep before her and she stays up late?" and my mother replied "yeah, she's 23. She goes to sleep a little later than me." and he told her while was in the room "well, there you go. she has no one to monitor her at night. she's eating pizza, burgers, drinking soda." When the reality was I couldn't even get down a medicine 30 mls of liquid post surgery. So I never went back and so my post care suffered since I never sought after care from him or his facility. I don't think he remembers what he said all those years ago though and as I've grown older, I've gotten over it and want to start anew.

Thing is I'm for converting to the gastric bypass but I have PCOS and my hormones are all over the place and it's very hard for me to lose weight when I do try. When I change my eating habits, my blood work gets better (H1C decreases, blood pressure decreases, sugar levels normalize) but my weight does not budge. My question is.....

Has anyone had the same experience with the lapband and failed with it due to PCOS or any other hormonal imbalance. I've had my thyroid checked 10 times and it always comes back normal. But i've been told I have metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance and assume I have PCOS. Did those that had gastric bypass have success with weight loss even when they had PCOS. I don't think I can handle another failure especially when i'm willing to go under the knife to have my insides permanently and voluntarily re-arranged.

Lap-Band has become a lot less popular over the last decade or so; not eliminating the ghrelin producing tissue means that you're far more likely to regain or have difficulty losing and complications. I think your story is more typical than not; everyone I've ever known who had a lap-band is bigger now than they were before they got it and many have had them removed.

Get a second opinion.

Why are you afraid of a by pass?

More afraid of getting it done and then having the same rate of success I had with the lapband. And just afraid of major surgery in general and having stomach rerouted instead of just banded.

I didn't have any of those issues, but I had bypass and love it. I'd make the same choice if I had to choose today. Bypass is typically a bit better at improving some of those things you mentioned - like insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes.

I’d be afraid that if your surgeon wasn’t supportive 12yrs ago that they won’t be supportive now. Criticising you for gaining weight 1week post surgery is appalling. When they do the surgery, they pump you full of gas so they can see the surgical field & they pump you full of Fluid to keep you hydrated afterwards. It’s very common for people to weigh more when they come out of hospital than they did when they went in. Many are advised not to weigh themselves for at least a week post surgery because of this. Maybe look into another surgeon if you’re able. Also find out if you really have PCOS or not so you know if that needs to be managed & supported.

Weight loss surgery will improve insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome & other comorbidities. There are numerous people on this forum who had these conditions & PCOS before surgery. It seems those with PCOS do tend to lose more slowly. But I’m sure some will share their experiences.

My doctor used to check my thyroid (there is a family history) often but it was always fine too. I often skipped meals & did it from my teenage years through to my early 50s. So my metabolism was crap - I’d struggle to lose weight eating less than 900 calories. Plus I think hormones were a contributing factor as well - my weight issues began at puberty & worsened with menopause. The surgery boosted my metabolism & evened put some of my hormones.

Ask your surgeon lots of questions about how the surgery may work for you & what you may expect with your existing conditions. Even ask for stats about his patients. Then when you will feel more confident about your decision.

I was banded Sept. 2010 and I am in the process of getting an RNY revision approved. I hate this band and it is time for it to come out. I had no success in losing weight and I am back up to where I was when I had surgery. I’m nervous but excited to be healthier. Good luck!

I had lapband in 2005 and switched to gastric bypass in 2010 for complications with the band, it slipped and shut off my esophagus. I did very well with the bypass, except I became an alcoholic. Something I was unaware of being a side effect of the gastric bypass. Please research this, if your doctor has not mentioned it. I don't want to scare you, as I have been sober for over 5 years and now work as a substance abuse counselor. All that being said, I do not regret having the bypass surgery and would still do it again if I was obese as I once was. I have found freedom with having the bypass that I did not have with the band. I do not have the food issues that I did with the band, or the vomiting issues that I had with the band. I had the band for five years and it was tiresome, I don't feel that way now at even having the issues I did with alcohol. I still consider having the gastric bypass a life change for the better.

I hope you get approved,

Best of luck,

Tammi J