Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So depressed about my hair

I'm just really depressed about my hair. I knew I would lose some hair but I just didn't expect to lose so much. Even a pixie cut (which I wanted) wouldn't look right. Only saving grace is that the Hair loss has slowed down. But not gonna lie I feel at a lost.

PXL_20221202_155839187.jpg

PXL_20221203_001344723.jpg

PXL_20221203_001354561.jpg

So sorry you’ve had such a dramatic reaction to the stress of the surgery & weight loss. It’s seems so unfair that some experience more severe reactions than others. Our bodies can react so differently & unexpectedly. But I’m very glad the loss is slowing for you now.

Losing your hair can be very demoralising. Would a hair piece or wig help until your new growth catches up for when you want to look & feel more confident?

It looks like you have a little peach fuzz happening which is your new Hair growth - yay! (Remember you’re still growing new hair while your losing hair at an accelerated rate.)

PS - Congratulations on your weight loss so far. That’s certainly something worth celebrating.

Losing hair is traumatic even if one prepares for it and that we know it'll come back. For many of us, it is the one thing that despite the weight, it was something we could be proud of. I lost hair too, and finally after many months, it has recently started growing back. Mine was more in the front, and a receding hairline just made me look older. I started wearing hair clip ons (they work pretty good and it's not noticable and they stayed in). I also used scarves, wide headbands... Etc. Many people here have good suggestions on how to deal with Hair loss. I am just responding to tell you that I feel you.

Hair loss definitely affects all of us who experience it. I was on the very cusp of covering my thinning hair up when leaving the house, but managed to make it work with a bleached pixie. Like Tomo, I feel you - I had to really work to keep my sense of humour up during my hair loss phase.

Have you looked into head coverings like turbans and head scarves? When looking for alternatives to hats, I found a number of websites that make lovely scarves and turbans for chemo patients and folks with alopecia. It's an alternative to wigs while your hair grows back.

Your weight loss so far is fantastic, though! Keep that in the front of your mind and remember that as depressing as it is when in the the midst of it, it's not forever.

I am so sorry you have lost so much hair, it's so scary isn't it. I hope you feel the new growth soon. The tips on using hair bands and clip in are so good. It's hat season here so it's not much of a problem for me. If you can afford it, go see a wig maker or an extension hairdresser for help and tips.

I lost hair and started wearing chemo caps and headscarves and finally bought a wig. Then I made a new friend who is utterly bald due to alopecia. Her courage in going hairless has been inspirational and I have become much less self-conscious about my thin hair. My hair has started growing back (but is still very thin). My head gets cold so I do wear baseball caps and knit stocking caps but I'm no longer embarrassed to go bare-headed inside.

1375737571_ScreenShot2022-05-19at8_58_37PM.png.c091da28412c05feb0f4ff6004168146.png

Hair loss is probably the number one distressing appearance-related side effect of rapid weight loss (honourable mentions to loose skin, of course).

Most, if not all, of us suffer from it. Some suffer more than others. Like the others above, I want to offer re-assurance that its mostly temporary. Little chicken hairs will start to sprout up and then in a year or two those chicken hairs will be down to your shoulders. Im my case (and some others I have read), it actually came back thicker...but i think this is also due to the fact that my overall health is better than it was before.

BUT, in the meantime, here are few couple tips to get you through this annoying stage (choose what you feel comfortable with...or none at all :) )

1) cut your hair shorter (i did a pixie cut at 3 months). the carpets of hair accumulating on the floor and catching in the shower drain will appear less. shorter hair theoretically will weigh less, so it will be less likely to pull down flat against your scalp and show larger swatches of said scalp. and when the chicken hairs start coming in they are less noticeable and blend in better with the rest of your shorter hair and not look so thin on the ends.

2) keep your hair clean. greasy hair will flatten and mat against your scalp which will show more of it (BUT don't Shampoo too much...and that's for everyone, not just those losing their hair!)

3) I think I see what looks like a braid in your hair in one of the pics above? if you can, maybe save the braids for later as the style will pull on the hair you have and possibly come out at an even faster rate.

4) there are these hair fibre "powders" that you can buy that temporarily camouflages the scalp. its basically hair coloured powder that you sprinkle on your hair to give the appearance of fullness until you wash it out later. Best results on darker hair with enough existing hair for the fibres to adhere too.

5) and for the truly brave, there is SMP (scalp micro pigmentation)..its a process whereby a tech tattoos hundreds (thousands?) of tiny little dots on your scalp to mimic hair follicles and create the illusion of fuller hair. I had this done last year because I have had the same side part in my hair since I was like 8 years old, and as the years have gone by its was noticeably thinner in that section. Full disclosure: it effing hurts. but I'm happy with the results, lol.

6) and lastly, at least for me, Vitamins, creams, lotions did nothing to stop or slow down the hair loss. i know lots of folks have sworn by some or all of these methods, so ymmv.

Good Luck, and hang it there! ❤️

P.s. sorry this was so long.

I hope this reaches all the Hair loss patients. I’m 8 years post operative and lost 70% of all body hair. It was extremely difficult to have so much gone on my head. I started taking Blood Builder by Mega food. Problem solved!

Update: It's been a month since I posted the photo of my Hair loss last spring. This morning I noticed a lot of 1-2" long hairs on top of my head. I can actually part my hair and the scalp is not so prevalent. I lost most of the hair in June, so it's taken 6+ months for it to noticeably grow in.

unnamed.jpg.38a980c88aba5b9edd67b7ce5354bdc2.jpg

I'm almost 9 months post op and my hair FINALLY slowed down with the shedding. I used to have really thick hair, but now it's so thin you can see my scalp. So I've had to get creative with how I wear it so it's not as noticeable. I was hoping it would start growing back soon, but I just found out I'm going to have to have a revision from sleeve to bypass, so I'm guessing it's going to start all over again. I may be bald by the time this is all over.

My mother had male pattern baldness, you could see her pink scalp through her dark hair all over. Then she got leukemia and went through chemotherapy. You know what she did? She said, “let’s go shopping!” And we went on this crazy wig shopping extravaganza and had an absolute ball, and peed our pants laughing. Day to day afterwards, no one knew what color hair or style or length she would where. I still say I want to be like her when I grow up. Best tip, measure your head for a proper fit, and have a hairdresser trim it to look good on you (like a tailor for clothing). Bring a friend for laughs, or search online Zia Zia Gabor wigs, Wendy Williams…

I'm almost 9 months post op and my hair FINALLY slowed down with the shedding. I used to have really thick hair, but now it's so thin you can see my scalp. So I've had to get creative with how I wear it so it's not as noticeable. I was hoping it would start growing back soon, but I just found out I'm going to have to have a revision from sleeve to bypass, so I'm guessing it's going to start all over again. I may be bald by the time this is all over.
You may have Hair loss but you are looking amazing.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J606F using BariatricPal mobile app

57 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

You may have Hair loss but you are looking amazing.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J606F using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you!!! :)