Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Energy post-surgery

Hello. I’ve read post and comments on these forums that state that many have low energy and fatigue post surgery. Is there anything that we can take to have more energy? I’m hearing the coffee is a no for some doctors and it’s ok for others. Anything else to help bring up your energy? Also, does this subside after a while? My surgery is 12/2 and when I return to work, I want to make sure I’m not feeling tired and can’t perform

I was tired the 1st few weeks but that is to be expected after what my body just went through plus not eating very much those weeks too. But after my body adjusted to all of it I had more energy then I knew what to do with!
Everyone is gonna be different & don’t NOT get the surgery because of what anyone says.
Just make sure to follow your Drs instructions, you will find those very a lot too!

On 11/29/2022 at 10:27, toodlerue said:

I was tired the 1st few weeks but that is to be expected after what my body just went through plus not eating very much those weeks too. But after my body adjusted to all of it I had more energy then I knew what to do with!

Everyone is gonna be different & don’t NOT get the surgery because of what anyone says.

Just make sure to follow your Drs instructions, you will find those very a lot too!

Thanks - this is helpful. Yes, everyone will be different. Hoping to have lots of energy like you🙂 Thanks

I found B12 supplements were critical a couple months post op. First I got them from my WLS surgeon during follow ups. Then I switched to sublingual pills once a week

it took about two months before my energy had COMPLETELY returned, but of course, it does get better and better every day. Most people are back at work after about two weeks. I didn't have trouble working (I had a desk job) - although I got pretty tired in the afternoons the first few weeks. It didn't keep me from performing, though.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:16, sillykitty said:

I found B12 supplements were critical a couple months post op. First I got them from my WLS surgeon during follow ups. Then I switched to sublingual pills once a week

Perfect - Thanks for sharing

First 4-5 days were rest & recuperation time for me. But by the 2nd week I felt a lot better and even cut my yard (although my Sugeon didn't want to hear that). My 3rd week I am still a little tired but able to carry out my daily activities with no problem including washing my cars. Not quite ready to run a marathon but as my metabolism adjusts, my energy seems to be increasing.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:19, Old Salt said:

First 4-5 days were rest & recuperation time for me. But by the 2nd week I felt a lot better and even cut my yard (although my Sugeon didn't want to hear that). My 3rd week I am still a little tired but able to carry out my daily activities with no problem including washing my cars. Not quite ready to run a marathon but as my metabolism adjusts, my energy seems to be increasing.

Oh wow - cutting the grass in week 2. Nice. Glad to hear you have energy. Very encouraging

On 11/29/2022 at 12:17, catwoman7 said:

it took about two months before my energy had COMPLETELY returned, but of course, it does get better and better every day. Most people are back at work after about two weeks. I didn't have trouble working (I had a desk job) - although I got pretty tired in the afternoons the first few weeks. It didn't keep me from performing, though.

I took one week off but I work from home. Thanks for sharing

You’ve just had pretty major surgery. A lot of the tiredness & low energy, is just your body telling you to rest so it can heal & recover from the surgery. Listen to it.

Of course some days you just have to get things done & don’t have time to have a nana nap or take things more slowly. I found an electrolyte drink would give me a bit of a boost. Many taste very sweet though so maybe ask your dietician for a suggestion. I diluted mine (doubled the water) & sipped it through the day with my other fluids.

My first probably 4 weeks I was super low energy, frustrated and losing my mind. Lol But after that hump, I was feeling much better physically and emotionally. It took about 8 weeks for me to feel like I had all my energy back.

On 11/29/2022 at 21:32, Arabesque said:

You’ve just had pretty major surgery. A lot of the tiredness & low energy, is just your body telling you to rest so it can heal & recover from the surgery. Listen to it.

Of course some days you just have to get things done & don’t have time to have a nana nap or take things more slowly. I found an electrolyte drink would give me a bit of a boost. Many taste very sweet though so maybe ask your dietician for a suggestion. I diluted mine (doubled the water) & sipped it through the day with my other fluids.

Thanks for the tips. My surgery is Friday

On 11/30/2022 at 11:31, HealthyVibes said:

My first probably 4 weeks I was super low energy, frustrated and losing my mind. Lol But after that hump, I was feeling much better physically and emotionally. It took about 8 weeks for me to feel like I had all my energy back.

Thanks for sharing