Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not feeling my restriction

I had my sleeve done on 11/11 and I am in the last few days of the pureed/soft food stage right now. I feel like after I moved from liquids to purees (and all of the gas from the procedure was out of my system) I either haven't really felt my restriction or I'm still just terrible at recognizing it. Everything I've read seems to say ~2oz is a normal portion size for this stage, but I can usually eat 3oz (esp. of refried beans) and I haven't really had the nausea/runny nose/sneezing fullness cues from my literature. I do get a feeling of tightness in my sternum sometimes, but it will usually go away if I pause and wait a few minutes before continuing to eat. I'm worried I'm overeating and potentially (beginning to) stretch my stomach - should I be stopping as soon as I feel the chest tightness and consider the meal over? Is the kind of restriction I've read about more common once I've moved on to soft foods? How did you learn what your fullness cues were and does anyone have good resources for recognizing your restriction/not overeating?

I just had dinner and it was 1/3 a cup egg whites with 1 tbs of ricotta + Frank's sauce and I managed to finish the whole thing, and it was only the last couple of bites that I felt anything in my chest which is now lingering. Did I overeat? What should I change for next time?

Edited to add I have lost ~10lbs post-op.

Edited by kbsleeved

I didn't really feel restriction until I moved on to regular food. It takes a while for your nerves to regenerate - plus soft foods move through your stomach faster than the solid ones. At this point, just eat according to your program because your fullness queues are probably not there yet. And once they start up, as you've been reading, they're likely to be different than they were pre-surgery. I don't feel full the way I did before surgery. Now I feel sort of a tightness or discomfort in my chest (hard to describe it). I know if I don't stop, I'm going to be sorry...

Yep, that tightness across your sternum is your restriction. Mine always makes me want to slap my chest to relieve it not that it works. It’s a sign to stop eating now.

Not everyone gets the runny nose or sneezing full signals - I don’t. And it will take time for you to feel & recognise your full or had enough signals. The signs may be more subtle to begin. Remember all those nerves they cut during your surgery.

This is why it’s important to stick to your portion size recommendations. You should aim to stop eating before you feel your restriction or you feel full. Stop when you’ve had enough. I still ask myself 3.5yrs on do I need this next bite or just want it. Nothing wrong about stopping before you eat all your portion either. It can be easy to eat around your restriction & your smaller tummy if you just wait a bit until you don't feel any discomfort & eat again so be careful.

There are lots of things to learn & to discover how things work for you. You’ll get there.

I didn't truly feel my restriction till I moved on to solids, like chicken. I had small signals during my puree stage but you start feeling your regular pre-op type of fullness once you go back to normal foods, even though NOW I stop before before I feel fullness. Aiming for that satisfied feeling is better imo.

Also, I watched a 'VSG fail' video on YouTube & she mentioned one of the reasons she failed was because she knew "waiting 10mins will allow her to eat more" & she now weighs as much as she did pre-op. PLEASE stick to your reccomended portions, you will find you'll still feel satisfied!

Yes, once you feel that tightness - that's your restriction. Meals should not take more than 30 minutes to consume and not be more than 2 ounces in portion. I was forcing myself to eat a full cup of yogurt around 3 weeks because I was trying to get all my Protein in and my nutritionist strongly advised that was way too much (a cup of yogurt is typically about 5 oz) But you lose the most weight in the beginning and also don't have that hungry feeling so take advantage of it! Stay disciplined through the beginning and it will pay off! The first 4 weeks is the hardest but it gets better! Good luck!

12 minutes ago, chelsea325 said:

Yes, once you feel that tightness - that's your restriction. Meals should not take more than 30 minutes to consume and not be more than 2 ounces in portion. I was forcing myself to eat a full cup of yogurt around 3 weeks because I was trying to get all my Protein in and my nutritionist strongly advised that was way too much (a cup of yogurt is typically about 5 oz) But you lose the most weight in the beginning and also don't have that hungry feeling so take advantage of it! Stay disciplined through the beginning and it will pay off! The first 4 weeks is the hardest but it gets better! Good luck!

That's absolutely my motivation as well - trying to meet my Protein goals! I have my first post-op meeting with my nutritionist tomorrow (kind of wish it had been earlier...) but I will do better about sticking to the recommended portions. This morning I had 1/4 c of oatmeal as outlined in my meal plan and didn't get the tightness at all.

1 hour ago, bbykitty said:

I didn't truly feel my restriction till I moved on to solids, like chicken. I had small signals during my puree stage but you start feeling your regular pre-op type of fullness once you go back to normal foods, even though NOW I stop before before I feel fullness. Aiming for that satisfied feeling is better imo.

Also, I watched a 'VSG fail' video on YouTube & she mentioned one of the reasons she failed was because she knew "waiting 10mins will allow her to eat more" & she now weighs as much as she did pre-op. PLEASE stick to your reccomended portions, you will find you'll still feel satisfied!

That's really good to know! I was thinking more "it's important for me to finish this so I meet my Protein goals so I should wait to I can eat everything" but I will stick to the recommended portions/no more than 30 minutes from now on.