Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just some advise from someone 2 years out of Sleeve Surgery

I had the gastric Sleeve surgery almost 2 years ago … was 260 and now about 160 … lowest weight 155.
1. You will have regrets within 6 months of surgery for emotional reasons like not soothing yourself with food - you will need to break up with food and see it only has a way to keep u alive and once in a while eat something really good but only have a little or u will pay dearly in nausea and pain. U will start Turing to food with more flavor because u can only eat so much so u will want to enjoy it. Naturally thin people do not look to food a friend.

2. Start weight training as soon as u are ready - I started 1.5 months after surgery. I got a personal trainer because I’ve always been afraid of the gym but I was more afraid of loose skin. Although I do have some loose skin I’m in my 40’s - I look pretty good for loosing 100 pounds. I didn’t start cardio until after I lost most of my weight because I feel like I eat more with cardio.

3. If you start loosing your hair - don’t panic. I had my entire hand filled with hair for several weeks of showering. I thought I was going to die. It started 4 months from surgery. As a fat women - I ALWAYS had awesome hair so loosing it was HARD. I paid a lot of money for different fixes but it probably wasn’t worth anything. It slowed down and after a year and a half - it’s better - not back to 100% but I’m a good 90% normal. Try to embrace it and maybe cut it off to start a new you.

4. Would I do it again? HELL YES! Is it hard, yes. You can no longer count on food as a friend. You cannot eat and drink at the same time (makes me feel sick). I miss taking advil when I had live a pain. You have to watch your alcohol intake. If you over eat - u will pay and u want to die.
However, I no longer will like I embarrass my family with my size, I can ride on rides at any amusement parks, I can climb stairs without stopping, I am seen by people without the look of pity, i don’t feel uncomfortable all the time, the list could go on for hours. You start a whole new chapter of your life.
Best of luck

Really good for those of us earlier in our weight loss journey to hear your story - thank you.

Would it be possible for you to fill out your stats?

I had no regrets at any stage but I guess that's just different experiences - ditto for hair loss!

Edited by Spinoza

Thank you for sharing this. So helpful for someone going in this Friday for Gastric Bypass surgery. Like you, I have long, thick, natural hair. I love my hair and I'm sure will hate to see any hairloss. I'm hoping that mine will be minimal, but definitely will make sure to take my Biotin either way. Thanks for the tips.

2 hours ago, cookiecutter said:

Thank you for sharing this. So helpful for someone going in this Friday for Gastric Bypass surgery. Like you, I have long, thick, natural hair. I love my hair and I'm sure will hate to see any hairloss. I'm hoping that mine will be minimal, but definitely will make sure to take my Biotin either way. Thanks for the tips.

I didn't lose much hair at all I barely noticed it, let alone anyone else (I didn't take anything for it - i just kept on top of my Protein and vitamins). You may be lucky as well...

I had the gastric Sleeve surgery almost 2 years ago … was 260 and now about 160 … lowest weight 155.
1. You will have regrets within 6 months of surgery for emotional reasons like not soothing yourself with food - you will need to break up with food and see it only has a way to keep u alive and once in a while eat something really good but only have a little or u will pay dearly in nausea and pain. U will start Turing to food with more flavor because u can only eat so much so u will want to enjoy it. Naturally thin people do not look to food a friend.

2. Start weight training as soon as u are ready - I started 1.5 months after surgery. I got a personal trainer because I’ve always been afraid of the gym but I was more afraid of loose skin. Although I do have some loose skin I’m in my 40’s - I look pretty good for loosing 100 pounds. I didn’t start cardio until after I lost most of my weight because I feel like I eat more with cardio.

3. If you start loosing your hair - don’t panic. I had my entire hand filled with hair for several weeks of showering. I thought I was going to die. It started 4 months from surgery. As a fat women - I ALWAYS had awesome hair so loosing it was HARD. I paid a lot of money for different fixes but it probably wasn’t worth anything. It slowed down and after a year and a half - it’s better - not back to 100% but I’m a good 90% normal. Try to embrace it and maybe cut it off to start a new you.

4. Would I do it again? HELL YES! Is it hard, yes. You can no longer count on food as a friend. You cannot eat and drink at the same time (makes me feel sick). I miss taking advil when I had live a pain. You have to watch your alcohol intake. If you over eat - u will pay and u want to die.
However, I no longer will like I embarrass my family with my size, I can ride on rides at any amusement parks, I can climb stairs without stopping, I am seen by people without the look of pity, i don’t feel uncomfortable all the time, the list could go on for hours. You start a whole new chapter of your life.
Best of luck
Its been 8 months for me ,lost 105 pd have 52 more pds to go, my goal weight is between 185-195. Im tall and dont want to look like a crackhead

Sent from my SM-A326U using BariatricPal mobile app

Its been 8 months for me ,lost 105 pd have 52 more pds to go, my goal weight is between 185-195. Im tall and dont want to look like a crackhead

Sent from my SM-A326U using BariatricPal mobile app

How tall are you? I lost lots of weight years ago and at 5ft 8 and 170s-180s people were telling me i looked sick. I'm 5ft8 and nervous that this will happen again with my surgery. I like a little thickness lol

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using BariatricPal mobile app