Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3.5 weeks PO Gastric Sleeve DUMPING?!

I have been super paranoid and careful with my food progression and choices. I am 3.5 weeks post op and my plan allows for soft or pureed foods starting at 2 weeks PO. Yesterday I had one hardboiled eggs (mashed up really well) with low fat mayo for lunch and within 45 minutes I was in the bathroom for the next two hours with things coming out at both ends. I had NEVER been this sick in my entire life. It was violent and non stop. I don't get it, I ate extremely slowly, took about 35 minutes to finish one egg, I've eaten eggs before (soft scrambled) and mayo (with tuna) before with no issues whatsoever. Now I am legit terrified to eat anything as I don't trust my body. Please tell me what your experience is with dumping after sleeve surgery and does the risk of it happening lessen as you heal more?

Yes, I am eating very slowly, eating small amounts, not drinking during meals, etc. All the rules that I was taught to prevent the risk of dumping.

Some foods just don't agree with you at first. eggs and beef are big ones that a lot of people struggle with.

I wouldn't say this is dumping as it is VERY unlikely for sleeve patients anyway. I think your tummy just didn't like the egg.

unfortunately it is just trial and error until you figure it out. Try again in a few weeks or month.

I hope you feel better soon!

2 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

Some foods just don't agree with you at first. eggs and beef are big ones that a lot of people struggle with.

I wouldn't say this is dumping as it is VERY unlikely for sleeve patients anyway. I think your tummy just didn't like the egg.

unfortunately it is just trial and error until you figure it out. Try again in a few weeks or month.

I hope you feel better soon!

I have eaten eggs multiple times before this episode without any issue whatsoever. I spoke with the surgeon's office and they said its definitely dumping and that food is going to be trial and error for a while, which is scary as heck.

on an unrelated note. Where i work we sell cold hard boiled eggs and two days ago i had someone put them in the microwave i guess to warm them up. The moment he took them out both eggs exploded in spectacular fashion right in his face. Eggs everywhere from the floor to the ceiling. He was in shock like "What just happened" i was like "Dude... you dont put boiled eggs in a microwave"... lol

59 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

on an unrelated note. Where i work we sell cold hard boiled eggs and two days ago i had someone put them in the microwave i guess to warm them up. The moment he took them out both eggs exploded in spectacular fashion right in his face. Eggs everywhere from the floor to the ceiling. He was in shock like "What just happened" i was like "Dude... you dont put boiled eggs in a microwave"... lol

My mum once put a tinned steak pie in the oven without taking the lid off. The pie had a puff pastry lid that swelled in cooking. As soon as she put a tin opener in it, every bit of that pie landed on the ceiling. As a child I thought it was a magic trick that I wanted to see over and over again. It still makes me smile almost 60 years later

3 hours ago, nhskigal said:

I have been super paranoid and careful with my food progression and choices. I am 3.5 weeks post op and my plan allows for soft or pureed foods starting at 2 weeks PO. Yesterday I had one hardboiled eggs (mashed up really well) with low fat mayo for lunch and within 45 minutes I was in the bathroom for the next two hours with things coming out at both ends. I had NEVER been this sick in my entire life. It was violent and non stop. I don't get it, I ate extremely slowly, took about 35 minutes to finish one egg, I've eaten eggs before (soft scrambled) and mayo (with tuna) before with no issues whatsoever. Now I am legit terrified to eat anything as I don't trust my body. Please tell me what your experience is with dumping after sleeve surgery and does the risk of it happening lessen as you heal more?

Yes, I am eating very slowly, eating small amounts, not drinking during meals, etc. All the rules that I was taught to prevent the risk of dumping.

Our new tummies have attitudes like toddlers. Every so often it will throw the toys out of the pram. There has been no reason for mine to act up one day and not another. Its eggs, chicken, lamb and salmon that I have issues with. I don't dump but I get the foamies. One day this week we had roast lamb, and it was fine. The day after I had problems for hours which I ended with vomiting.

I keep trying these foods every month. One day I will be ok.

I had loose bm yesterday and diarrhea (once) so far today. Should I be worried?

Scared but excited.

kinda sounds like food poisoning… might have had some bacteria that you reacted to

dumping is pretty uncommon in sleeve patients, and that doesn't sound like it. A lot of people have trouble with eggs the first few months, so I'm guessing it's that.

EDITED to add that I just read what you responded to someone else above. I'm not sure I agree with what your clinic told you, but then I'm not an expert...

Edited by catwoman7

I described my tummy as a petulant, tantrum throwing two year old. An angel one day & a demon the next. eggs can be too rich for some plus the mayo & your tummy may have just said hell no. Well at least not yet.

Dumping is rather severe: cold sweats, heart palpitations, bloating, dizziness, light headedness, nausea, cramping, etc. can last for a few hours. It will knock you about for a while too. They say you won’t forget it once you’ve experienced it.

I can’t do eggs now and I miss them as a quick easy source of Protein

I was told to start on eggs at week 3, but i just get painful cramps and liquid poop and that's just from eating a teaspoon or 2. They also said avocados and bananas might be too tough, but with my ninja blender, it's perfectly puree and those 2 things i can eat all of within about 90 mins and feel great after. Puree beef with gravy is also fine for me, but i can only eat a few teaspoons over an hour.

Might be your body saying "This isnt a food i'm ready for yet" if that's the case, maybe skip it and try another food.