Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can’t keep water or food down 3 weeks post op

Hi all, I’m 3 weeks post op after gastric bypass surgery and the last week I haven’t been able to keep anything down. I’m constantly sipping on Water but no matter what I do it comes back up again. Last weekend I made a stupid mistake of having a bite out of a toasted chicken wrap thinking if I chewed it well it wouldn’t do me any harm. I felt absolutely fine afterwards but the following day is when this stage I’m at started. Really worried I’ve done some damage now and don’t know what to do??

Please call your surgeon’s office. If you can’t keep Water down, you will quickly get dehydrated and that can be very serious. Eating solid food too soon may or may not be the cause, but don’t let that stop you from getting medical attention.

Agreed, you gotta go to your doctor. Dehydration & vomiting can lead to hospitalization. I was told to avoid solids during this stage because food bits can get stuck in the stomach staples & you get sick. It's rare that this happens but it's best to get checked out just in case

Sounds like you may have a stricture. I would call your doctor asap or go to the ER. I hope as I am writing this, you are better.

I agree with the above comment - sounds like it might be a stricture. If you were only not able to keep food down, then a call to your clinic to schedule a upper endoscopy would be fine - but since you can't even keep Water down, I'd go to urgent care or the ER. People can live for awhile without food - but not fluids.

I had two strictures - one at four weeks out and another at eight weeks out. Easy fix, and you'll feel better immediately if that's what it is. They almost always occur between 1-3 months out (that is, if you have one - happens to about 5% of bypass patients). They've very rare once you get over 3 months out. I know you're only three weeks out, but I think it's possible that is what's going on. I would definitely get it checked out.

Hi everyone thanks for your help I’m going to go to my emergency room and see what they can do to help me. @catwoman7 do you know if you could take medications while you had the stricture? I haven’t had a problem taking my omeprazole or paracetamol it’s mostly liquids. Thanks

6 hours ago, Murk11 said:

Hi everyone thanks for your help I’m going to go to my emergency room and see what they can do to help me. @catwoman7 do you know if you could take medications while you had the stricture? I haven’t had a problem taking my omeprazole or paracetamol it’s mostly liquids. Thanks

It's been several years (I'm 7.5 years out), but I don't think mine got to the point where I couldn't keep fluids down, so I was probably able to take my pills. I went for a few days without being able to keep food down, so I called my clinic and they scheduled an upper endoscopy for me. If I'd have waited longer, at some point I wouldnt' have been able to keep fluids down, either..

Do you feel any better?

On 11/20/2022 at 3:11 AM, catwoman7 said:

It's been several years (I'm 7.5 years out), but I don't think mine got to the point where I couldn't keep fluids down, so I was probably able to take my pills. I went for a few days without being able to keep food down, so I called my clinic and they scheduled an upper endoscopy for me. If I'd have waited longer, at some point I wouldnt' have been able to keep fluids down, either..

Hi you were right I had a stricture which has narrowed my digestive passage and is not letting any food or Water pass through. I had an endoscope yesterday but they said it would be too painful to dilate unless they put me to sleep so they are doing that today. He said it could take a few tries so please send your thoughts that it’s only going to take one I’m fed up of not being able to eat or drink 😟

10 hours ago, Murk11 said:

Hi you were right I had a stricture which has narrowed my digestive passage and is not letting any food or Water pass through. I had an endoscope yesterday but they said it would be too painful to dilate unless they put me to sleep so they are doing that today. He said it could take a few tries so please send your thoughts that it’s only going to take one I’m fed up of not being able to eat or drink 😟

Oh my God 😢😢 GOOD LUCK!! I hope this is able to get situated for you

On 11/24/2022 at 12:33 AM, Murk11 said:

How did it go? Thinking about you.

11 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

How did it go? Thinking about you.

Hi, all went well he was able to dilate the passage and they’ve put a feeding tube in to make sure I’m getting enough nutrients. They’re going to dilate it again in a few days just to be sure but I’m tolerating food and liquids now thank god! Feeding tube is uncomfortable but small price to pay