Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night time and my fat brain wants to eat.

I'm eating at night again. My fat brain is winning. I feel so disgusted with myself at this moment and feel I'm slipping. I am 8 weeks post op and should be transitioning to more solid foods but I'm mostly still pureeing . This way I can have more volume of foods. I need to contact my surgery team and see if they can help. I just feel defeated at this moment.

I'm reading your post as it's about 2:30 AM where I live... and I'm eating lol. My nutritionist knows that I have f-ed up sleep patterns due to my health issues and although it's not really the best choice to eat at night it's not the be all and end all if you're hungry and not just snacking to snack. If it's a bad habit of yours to eat at night just to snack and not due to actual hunger then yeah I'd consult someone, but we're only human. We can fall off sometimes, but the point is that you recognize that it's a problem and are will to work on it. Don't stress yourself out! Admitting a fault is the first step in correcting a problem and that doesn't make you a failure at all. If it's a problem then work on it. Get help if you need to. We are only human, thus mistakes can and will happen. You got this!

I'm eating at night again. My fat brain is winning. I feel so disgusted with myself at this moment and feel I'm slipping. I am 8 weeks post op and should be transitioning to more solid foods but I'm mostly still pureeing . This way I can have more volume of foods. I need to contact my surgery team and see if they can help. I just feel defeated at this moment.

You have taken the first step to recognize what you are doing wrong. It is a journey and some days will not be as good as the previous one, concentrate on doing better tomorrow, start your solids and keep your Protein and Water intake.

Workout if there is head hunger or some emotional trigger that makes you want to eat at night and remember why you started this journey, and how far you have come.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am snacking too, nightshift with not much on is always dangerous for me and then at home watching TV :( some habits are really hard to break :(

Account for it--I usually leave myself around 200 calories for "evening snacks", and it's worked out very well for me. Never eat out of the bag/box unless it's single-serving. Measure EVERYTHING and only put the amount you are comfortable eating in front of you. Depending on the nature of your snacking it also may help to pre-prepare a few "safe" things for in the evening (sliced vegetables, maybe some kind of low carb "snack box" if you're extra like that).

14 minutes ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

Account for it--I usually leave myself around 200 calories for "evening snacks", and it's worked out very well for me. Never eat out of the bag/box unless it's single-serving. Measure EVERYTHING and only put the amount you are comfortable eating in front of you. Depending on the nature of your snacking it also may help to pre-prepare a few "safe" things for in the evening (sliced vegetables, maybe some kind of low carb "snack box" if you're extra like that).

I do this too! I am not so much a "night" eater. But tend to have more an a urge to eat later in the day. I never used to eat Breakfast and wouldn't eat at all till lunch at 12.. so I guess my body was trained to eat all the calories in the late afternoon/evening so now naturally I still want to even though I eat breakfast now. (well drink a shake)

Before I was hungry, now I am not hungry but rather just want to eat. So yea, like you I adjust my day for it and stay within my limits too. Been working great for me.

I sometimes do this. I have a chart on my fridge and I list what I eat, when I eat it, the calories and carbs I eat (did this because I noticed that I was paying way more attention to carb consumption and not calories, and I was having WAY too many calories per day, so now I can track it easier and make better choices). I have 3 meals and a snack per day, but I always allow for a 2nd snack in the evening if I really need/want it. If I don't, then those budgeted calories/carbs go uneaten for the day. If I do, it was already budgeted in and I'm still within my limits. Sometimes it's all about playing head games with yourself....and winning lol

I don't know what you're eating and when from your post but I just wanted to let you know that I have never, EVER been able to go to bed hungry, so if this is your problem I feel you. No matter what crackpot diet I was on throughout my life, I needed to save calories to eat for supper. I still do. Normally something filling but not calorific like porridge (oatmeal) with fruit, or even sometimes Soup.

Don't punish yourself for feeling what you feel - PLAN FOR IT would be my advice. Good luck on the rest of your journey. 😍

1 hour ago, Spinoza said:

I don't know what you're eating and when from your post but I just wanted to let you know that I have never, EVER been able to go to bed hungry, so if this is your problem I feel you. No matter what crackpot diet I was on throughout my life, I needed to save calories to eat for supper. I still do. Normally something filling but not calorific like porridge (oatmeal) with fruit, or even sometimes Soup.

Don't punish yourself for feeling what you feel - PLAN FOR IT would be my advice. Good luck on the rest of your journey. 😍

I don't think it's about going to bed hungry as I am sure all of us night time / afternoon snackers will agree we aren't hungry we just have this urge to put something in our mouths 😔 and something that tastes yummy. It's a struggle 😪

On 11/15/2022 at 4:22 AM, Leo segovia said:

You have head hunger! Maybe it’s time to find a hobby or distractive activity to do when you feel hungry at night…. (Reading, Netflix, knitting, drawing, journaling) Since you can eat now your body wants a return to normal habits and you need to retrain the brain.. it can take about a month to retrain yourself but the good news is it gets a little easier each day you do it….

but yes. Talk to your team! I will say that journaling has been my success key… writing out why I had issues with eating and what I was feeling… the more I worked through the emotional issues that made me fat the easier it was to be in control… still not perfect and still feel things but I am able to cope better

I think recognizing that this is an issue & you want to put a stop to it early is an incredible step. So many people don't discover this until it's too late. Maybe telling someone in your support system about this can help you, having someone in real life to help hold you accountable can be very helpful

If not, talking to your bariatric team is good. those 'late night snacking when not hungry' sessions isn't about finding healthier alternatives, but about stopping it at the source. Hopefully they're able to help you find something to replace those urges with.

Edited by bbykitty

On 11/15/2022 at 4:22 AM, Leo segovia said:

weeks

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful prospective and advice. I am better this morning and I have restarted to journal my thoughts even just randomly bable. Getting it out of my head helps me view it from a different angle. There are some great ideas given to me and it will make a difference. Regrouping and setting realistic goals again. I I do track very carefully my nutrition and calories carefully. I'm going to try to leave a few 100 for my later on snack. . Thank you again for your suggestions and positive thoughts. I am greatfull to be part of this community. Forward with the journey!!

I can relate so much to eating at night. With my old eating habits, it was normal for me to wake up in the middle of the night and eat. I would sometimes eat a whole meal from leftovers. Currently I am 59 days out ( 8 weeks ), and that fat monkey on my shoulder is trying so hard to get me back into old habits. I find myself eating at night again, but thankfully I can't eat much anymore. But still, it's always been a horrible habit of mine. I do try most times to grab something smarter than dinner leftovers, like a banana, or a Protein Shake.

I was surprised to see you were still on pureed food. But I know every doc is different. My doc said post surgery diet was to be 3 days clear liquid, 3 days full liquid, 3 days pureed, then solids as tolerated. I started slow with the solids. At 8 weeks now, there isn't much I haven't eaten ( no junk foods, sweets, or sugary sodas ). But now it's getting scary. I mean, I can only eat so much, but like I heard someone else say, my fat brain wants to eat when I'm not hungry. Eating just because something tastes good. Horrible old habits. I am losing weight ( 33 lbs in 59 days ), but I feel like I can do better. I must somehow convince myself that we should eat to live, not live to eat. I know I am addicted to food and the battlefield is in my brain. It's a daily struggle, but I know I can do this, and so can you !

Yes . It is harder then I thought it would be to change that habit of late night eating. So I now have resolved myself to saving about 200 calories to my late night snacking. I have also returned to making sugar free Jello and having that as a snack or having a banana . I have also reduced my portions to 250- 300 g . It was eating puree just so I could eat larger portions. While also not pureeing my foods anymore. It is helping and starting to embrace and modify my old habit. Work with it and not let it become my burdin. Also this week I am now back to loosing weight again. I'm entering my 10 week post op.

Pre op 2 week before 265bls

Surgery day 250 lbs

Current weight 225 lbs

That's 40 lbs. In 21/2 months and I am happy and healthier and looking forward to continue on my journey to better health and weight loss .

On 11/15/2022 at 3:40 AM, NP_WIP said:

You have taken the first step to recognize what you are doing wrong. It is a journey and some days will not be as good as the previous one, concentrate on doing better tomorrow, start your solids and keep your Protein and Water intake.

Workout if there is head hunger or some emotional trigger that makes you want to eat at night and remember why you started this journey, and how far you have come.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

6 weeks. When I went to soft foods, measuring every thing to 1/2 cup. 1/3 cup Protein, 1/8 cup veggie and 1/8 cup carb. I'm filling more satiety of food and this new life. Found Jenni ground turkey taco seasoned, scrambled eggs with turkey sausage patties diced. I have a few puree meals still frozen as backup if my new food not agreeing with me. But this is also a noticeable hunger that hasn't been there for last 6 weeks.