Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomiting food 10 weeks post op

Hey all

I seem to be vomiting up food after I try and eat anything solid , for example I tried a cheeseburger , ate 3 bites and vomited up the 3 bites. Is my stomach still ajusting to my sleeve ? For some reason I can eat crisps no problem cause they disintegrate into a small size I'm my mouth I also can eat fruit bananas or grapes but anything solid I seem to be getting sick

Sent from my LE2123 using BariatricPal mobile app

Have you tried leaner things like chicken or turkey? Or even lunch meats? Something "lighter" than beef in consistency? Could also try to cook meat in a slow cooker so it stays very moist. Sometimes the meat drying out is hard to digest also.

I was told beef is the hardest to digest after surgery and some people struggle with it for a while.

I didn't eat beef for almost 4 months and when I did I had 1 tiny bit of bit beef and it made me ill and vomit for hours. I didn't try again for another few months and now I am fine with it. I have tried all types of beef, with not issues now.

PS: I had bypass but these were tips I was given by my team when working back to solids.

Also, call your team and ask for help! May be something medical.

Im pre op so I dont have experience but my instructions say to not eat beef or pork for the first 6 months. Maybe its just too soon.

I was told my stomach wouldn't be able to tolerate beef for the first 6 months as it would be too hard to digest and if I had to, to have it in mince form with sauce. You could always try to make your own burgers at home but make the meat pulled pork or use mince like in sloppy joes and see how you go. All the best.

Many people have a hard time with red meat for a while. I agree with the suggestions to try some other forms of meat first and try again in a little while. Some people get lucky with what they can tolorate right away but others tummies are just a bit fussier for whatever reason.

Did you just eat the patty or the roll too? bread can be very filling & you may have taken a much too large bite resulting in you bringing up what you ate. Think a level teaspoon size bite. Are you eating slowly? Like a couple of minutes between the small bites?

A conversation with your dietician may be helpful as it sounds like you’re not making the best food choices (chips, burger). Focus on Protein only then a few vegetables if you are able. You may need to keep to softer Proteins for a little while longer too - we all heal differently & may struggle with certain foods for a couple of months.

Also contact your surgeon just to be sure there’s not another cause.

I dont think our bodies are meant to handle such heavy foods so soon. Cheeseburgers will definitely overwhelm our bodies! I suggest eating it Protein style first (lettuce wrapped) before trying it with bread!

@Arabesque said what I was thinking. Well-cooked anything at is point will not be your friend. Also, the bread is more likely your enemy right now. Try just the patty-cooked med. Cut into tiny bites like the size of your pinky nail. Take a bite, put the fork down, place your hands under your butt, chew at least 20 times, and swallow........ never never have any drink near you. Wait 20-30 min to drink after your last bite. Right now you should only be eating about 3 bites.

Also, try and keep your food log up to date. This way you can go back and see what is working and what is not.

I had a cheeseburger but only the patty. Maybe 1/4 of it. I cut it up and put in my 1/2 c container. Take them everywhere. Liked Jenni groundturkey taco or Italian seasoned. eggs with very small diced turkey sausage. Cottage cheese and yogurt for meal after a stomach issue.