Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regretting the surgery

I had my sleeve on Monday. They kept at the hospital 2 nights for nausea and pain. I am now home but still have constant nausea even though I'm on 3 different nausea meds and terrible gas pains (I'm on 2 meds for that as well). I am always up walkng. I keep dry heaving and actually threw up stomach acid last night. I regret doing this surgery so badly. I can't sleep due to the nausea and pain either. Anyone else go through this?

Sent from my SM-S115DL using BariatricPal mobile app

Everyone feels like this right after surgery. You won't regret it. Hang in there.

It's major surgery, and it hurts. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for a solid week.

That said, my nausea and pain medication did help. Call your team if you're not able to manage yours.

YES. The first week was one of the hardest things I've done. Trust me when I say it truly gets better! Your nausea will settle, your body will begin to heal & you will FEEL okay! Hang in there 💜

every single person goes thru this... Remember its a major surgery. Its going to take time to heal and get back to normal... The first week is the roughest. but you will get thru it.

i've had two WLS and regret was not felt...... uncertainty was..... I had a bad case of the "what ifs". I can say at 100% I am happy with where I am today.

My problem was not the SX but the pain meds they gave me.... I can't do Demorol....... I will throw my guts up. Just keep doing your best to walk. In my life i've had 8 SX's and have found that walking really does help the most.

I didn't have any pain with mine - just some nausea in the hospital which they "fixed" with Zofran in my IV line. That said, I did have "buyer's regret" the first couple of weeks. Once I got through that stage, I never regretted my surgery for a minute.

I think most of us regret the surgery at first - but once we're through that immediate post-surgery stage, the regret is long gone. Just hang in there...

Just remember a week or two of discomfort is worth a lifetime of health that you are gaining.

It was a major surgery, pain and adjustments should be expected.

I feel your pain OP, it's truly miserable. So many of us go though this. Hang in there, you will soon be through the horrible post-op stage and onto the 'OMG look how much I've lost now!' stage. 🤗

The first couple of months were terrible I had the bypass last Dec 2nd and had some complications so it took me longer to heal but by February I was feeling good. Was throwing up and in pain for what felt like firever. Now I'm doing great I hit my goal weight my surgeon gave me Halloween and my bmi went from 47 to now it's a 25

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had nausea and was throwing up in the hospital but it passed on the third day. Then I felt great. I am sorry they sent you home before it was under control. Hang in there.

As others have said, I think everyone goes through this. I have a dietician and Psychologist and I've been told it's a normal part of the process, we are mourning our old lives and it will be hard dealing with pain and nausea as well as adjusting to the new way we will have to eat, but it will be worth it in the long run.

6 months -1 year from now you'll look back and see how far you've come and you won't regret making a choice that will improve your health and life :) Hang in there, you're not alone. I've had moments I've cried, felt like I mutilated my body and even tried to convince myself that I had made the wrong decision but I haven't given it time yet. I'm just Grieving.

Make a list of all your future goals, each time you're feeling this way, look at those goals and just think, you'll be able to achieve those goals, just follow your surgeons/dieticians advice, and you'll make it.

You can do it! :D

Just wanted to update: My intestines were just taking their time to wake up after anesthesia. I could not get rid of the gas so there was a crazy amount of pressure on my stomach and insides. Friday night, things finally started moving (5 days after surgery). I felt like a new woman on Saturday. Limited nausea and pain. Today, I'm still doing well except for spasms after drinking fluids (still on all fluids). Doc said they normally go away after a week or so but of course my body is holding on. I'm also trying to navigate diarrhea and Constipation.

My doc, office staff, hospital staff, church, family, and husband (And of course you all) have been amazing supports. I pray I continue to improve and can say I no longer regret the surgery (eventhough I'm still super early into the post op process).

Thank you all for your kind words and letting me know I'm not alone. You've all truly been a blessing. [emoji173]

Sent from my SM-S115DL using BariatricPal mobile app

So glad to hear that things are looking up for you. Hang in there just a little while longer and you will feel like a new person. Keep us posted.