Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obsessed with food, cooking, feeding people

I I am about six months postop, VSG I’ve lost about 60 pounds. I have found myself becoming obsessed with cooking, learning new, cooking techniques and trying to prepare recipes from different cultures. I love feeding people, I love hearing how great the food is. I can spend a whole day cooking and only eat a teeny tiny bit, but somehow Its so worth it hearing how much people enjoyed it, my family and friends.

I don’t know if this is something I need to be worried about. I can make myself a serving of food, once I get full I can easily throw away the rest of my serving.
I just worry that my constant thinking about preparing meals might become an issue in the future. I don’t know if anyone has any insight into this.

I’ve made things I had never tried before, from scratch stroganoff, chili Verde, pork, lasagna, I want to try and make tamales for the first time. I love all of these foods, I eat a small amount of them. And I will eat leftovers for days.

I also have a really found an enjoyment from making things from scratch. Everything! It is so satisfying to make everything from scratch. I used to just pop open cans of sauce.

I cant see anything wrong with that. I have been like that my whole life. I love cooking and feeding people. Baking is my favorite. Im hoping that after my surgery I wont eat as much of what I loved to cook. I have hundreds of recipes and I still love making new recipes. As long as you are not eating large amounts your friends and family will be very lucky to be able to eat your cooking. Have fun!!

Sounds like a good hobby. I wouldn't worry about it! 😊

It will pass I went through the same lol

I don't imagine it being a problem. Especially when you are still eating the correct portion sizes.

Enjoy it!

Agree with others. As long as you are not overindulging (and it sounds like you have Portion Control under control) there is nothing wrong with this!

Have fun trying out new things!!

I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissension. That's fine, it won't be the first time!

While this is does not seem to be causing you any physical issues, I have to wonder about if there are psychological impacts? The words you chose to describe this " I have found myself becoming obsessed" have me worried about transfer addiction. Addiction in any form, even if you can't see the physical downside, is still addiction. Perhaps it was just an unfortunate choice of words on your part, but since transfer addiction is a real concern for all of us, I think it's worth being aware of this possibility.

Some signs you may want to seek help:

1. Inability to stop
  2. Always wanting more
  3. Participating in this behavior despite negative outcomes (Job, physical/mental health, relationships)
  4. Denying that there is any negative outcome, or trying to cover up negative outcomes
  5. Constantly thinking about this addiction

If any of those ring true, please seek out help. Otherwise, enjoy your new hobby!

@SpartanMaker brings up a really good point. I assumed (and perhaps should not have) that the obsession choice of words was hyperbole. If not, then they are right, it could be an issue. I'd just be mindful about some of the items flagged in case any of them ring true for you.

Edited by Queen ApisM
Adjusted pronouns because I was making some assumptions I shouldn't have!

*raises hand*

Same. Same. Same.

a few months into weight loss, everything about food began to fascinate me.

I started to love cooking, baking, researching recipes, watching cooking shows, reading restaurant reviews, smelling it, taking pictures of it, watching others eat it, everything except actually eating it myself.

one of my fave things to do is read a menu in its entirety at restaurants.

I’m 4 years post and I am still like this, with the exception that I can eat way more now than I could back then (for those keeping score, I remain below goal weight, so I didn’t end up imploding. So far, at least lol)

I used to worry about this behaviour of mine, but have long ago learned to just go with it.

I figured I was not suffering any angst about it, nor was it negatively impacting any aspect of daily life. So…yeah.

BUT…If a behaviour (any behaviour!) is limiting you in any way, or preventing you from being a functional member of society, or causing you mental anguish or physical harm, then maybe that is a sign you may want to get it addressed.

Good Luck!❤️

P.S. Full disclosure: I also smoke, so I probably have bigger fish to fry than my affinity for Top Chef et al.

Edited by ms.sss

Exploring food can be a good thing. Sounds like you have the eating portion in balance and are seeking new tastes with your new life. Cooking is an art and a science that brings joy with the act itself for some people

If you find the answer, let me know. My food storage is over-the-top. Luckily I don't have kids and family nearby otherwise maybe I'd do the same. My problem is I love to shop for food. I buy and buy and I have bins of food, and both freezers are stuffed with food. Help. :)

I completely get the need-to-cook thing as I've always loved cooking and baking. Post-op I would leap at the chance to cook because when it's just myself and my partner, I don't really do it like I used to and I love the whole process. I missed it so much I recently took a second job as a cafe cook, which is a job I haven't done in well over 10 years (and currently on hold after breaking my leg but that's another story). But it scratches the cooking itch!

I'm very much in the love-cooking-for-people-but-not-eating-it camp. If you're eating your efforts with strict Portion Control then I also don't see the problem. If you're grazing while cooking though, be careful there!

Omg! I have that issue. I have been cooking up a storm for my family. I have always loved to cook, but now I enjoy it even more. I just refuse to make Cookies. I am terrified I will forget and do a taste test.