Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nov 16 surgery date, bored of protein shakes

Let me start this off by saying I've never been a fan of milk and I don't like shakes (not even milkshakes from Culver's). I just don't like the chalky aftertaste and thick texture of the Protein Shakes. I'm not hungry, just bored (If that makes sense).

So here's what I'm doing and I would love for you all to help me. Please tell me what I can add to make it to the 16th.

-Chicken broth with Protein Powder mixed served warm and eaten with a spoon.

-A clear Jell-O

-1-2 Premier Protein shake (chocolate or vanilla)

-64 oz or more of Water

-Also just added Gatorade GZero last night (completely helped me with my muscle spasms)

Anything fun you all doing or did to help add variety to the full liquid phase?

Protein2o - the strawberry/watermelon flavor is pretty good. Not overly sweet or syrupy tasting.

I bought canned Soup and strained them, only drinking the broth. This really opened up the flavor window, they all taste different. Rather than plain boring broth. You can always add unflavored Protein powder to it too. I didn't so I wouldn't know how to do it.

Other people ate what was left of the soup so it didn't go to waste.

I was allowed yogurt, no chunks. You could add that if it is in your plan. Greek yogurt is high protein.

They have gatorade zero with protein now, (considered clear protein drinks). I tried a few different ones, gatorade was my favorite.

You could also try thinning out the Protein Shakes to change the consistency. Or get powder and make different mixtures.

For example, I used sugar free lemonade and mixed strawberry protein for a strawberry lemonade Protein Shake. BUT I would also add more like 10-12 OZ of lemonade to thin it out and it was more like a drink rather than a thick shake. I have heard of people getting crafty, like vanilla powder and rootbeer flavored water for a rootbeer float. Or orange flavor with vanilla protein for a creamsicle. You get the point. haha I haven't tried any of this except my strawberry lemonade one, so I don't have an opinion on how they taste.

Just a few suggestions, you got this!

I have the same issue with 90% of Protein Shakes. I found a company that I really like though and they have a lot of flavors. I Generally use them in my coffee.

Other than that I used Iso-Pure in my Soups too.

I can't add anything that others have not stated before me. We all suffered through it the best way we could, its brutal. You will do it with the end in your mind at all times. I believe we are all frightened to deviate because of the few people who have had their operations stopped mid surgery because their livers were still too large to do the surgery safely. It is your last week; the time will fly. Good luck

I find powder Protein Shakes to be a lot less chalky & thick than premade ones. I like the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Protein powder in Extreme chocolate Milk. It tastes like kids chocolate milk I would get at the school cafeteria. Its so much easier to drink!

Protein concentrates shots at Bariatricpal tastes good. I tried one over and liked it. Tiny bottles, 15g protein. All kinds of fruit flavors. Lemon, grapefruit, grape cranberry and more.

I am not a shake person either. During that time I just put unflavored protein powder in everything including my coffee.

During post op, all liquids counted as liquid. So, even my Protein Shakes were also counted towards my fluids. I made sure everything I drank had Protein except plain Water.

Once I went on to actual foods it got harder but I worked out a plan that worked for me, but it was non stop drinking and eating, at least it felt that way. haha

I woke up, drank 8 oz milk (protein and fluids) then a bottle of water, then ate something, then a bottle of water, then ate something, then a Protein Drink (gatorade zero with protein was my go to) then another water.

It is easier now, but at first it was a chore.

I am still/always allowed to count my shakes towards my fluids but I don't anymore and still drink at least 80 oz a day and of usually just plain water. I LOVE and have always been a HUGE water drinker so it is easy for me. I can also drink "normal" now. Some people struggle so you just have to find what works for you.

You got this!

I, too, LOVE Water. It just tastes so refreshing. I don't put anything in it, and it rocks. I love it. I do miss guzzling it. I accidentally gulped once while working on my computer and got so scared. I was like, "Uh-Oh, that gulp was too big!" I felt it too.

Thanks for the kind words.

1 hour ago, SageIce said:

I, too, LOVE Water. It just tastes so refreshing. I don't put anything in it, and it rocks. I love it. I do miss guzzling it. I accidentally gulped once while working on my computer and got so scared. I was like, "Uh-Oh, that gulp was too big!" I felt it too.

Thanks for the kind words.

I built up taking bigger sips as I went to see how I did and what my limit was. For me, it only was uncomfortable for maybe 30 seconds so it wasn't a big deal if I went to far at first. Now, I don't think I have a limit. I can chug about 1/3 or more of a bottle of Water at once although I do feel full for a few minutes after. But it passes within a few minutes.

I was worried about having to sip my life away so I was super relieved to get back to normal drinking.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:35 AM, summerseeker said:

I can't add anything that others have not stated before me. We all suffered through it the best way we could, its brutal. You will do it with the end in your mind at all times. I believe we are all frightened to deviate because of the few people who have had their operations stopped mid surgery because their livers were still too large to do the surgery safely. It is your last week; the time will fly. Good luck

I have not deviated at all from the liquid diet but i still have a fear that my liver is going to be to large. I wonder if that is even possible though. I am doing exactly what you have suggested keeping the end goal in mind which is better health! thank you for the post

As mentioned above straining real Soup opens up to more flavors. Try getting soup from restaurants and straining them. Just be sure to use a very fine strainer and get all the chunks out. They will have sooooo much more flavor than basic broth. They have panara Soups at Walmart by the deli and they have a Walmart brand that isn’t bad as well.