Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving 🦃

What’s everyone going to be eating for thanksgiving? This is my first year post op and I’m not really sure what I should eat any ideas?

How far post-op are you? What restrictions do you still have from your surgeon?

I am pretty disciplined about avoiding carbs during my day to day life, but I do make an exception for Thanksgiving. I will have turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. But instead of creating a heaping plate (and then going back for more), I'll have a plate that looks like it will feed a 4-year old.

We are having our usual large family gathering and will make our traditional meal: Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn pudding, fruit salad, deviled eggs, homemade cranberry sauce and a variety of pies: pumpkin, pecan, lemon chess, buttermilk, mincemeat, cherry, apple...

I plan to have at least a bite of all of my Thanksgiving favorites!

I am going to try to have just turkey with a bit of gravy & a small portion of ham. I still want to keep my Protein intake high! I'm only being 1mo out means I don't have much space for the fun carbs yet. buuuut I do hope to find a bit of space for some pie later in the night!

I plan to do what I did last year: try (taste) everything I'm excited about, and then based on how good it tastes, decide which ones get some of my precious tummy space. Last Thanksgiving I had just transitioned to solid foods and this was also my approach. It worked great. Obviously if you are not on solids yet that changes the equation quite a bit. No meal is worth potentially affecting the healing process.

Honestly the only things I care about at Thanksgiving are stuffing and pumpkin pie. So, planning for some of each. And already scheming about how to keep active while visiting not so active family members.

Edited by Queen ApisM
Cleaned up bad grammar and add a point. Too early and not enough sleep!

Reasonably sized portions of anything that will agree with me, basically. I'm 14 months post op, and about the only things my sleeve doesn't seem to tolerate is potatoes, Pasta, bread, and rice (and apples...WTH).

I'm probably going to mainly have turkey but a small spoonful of stuffing will be hard to resist.

I'll be 6.5 weeks post-op for Thanksgiving. My sleeve is still fresh and very restrictive so I don't anticipate getting down much. My goal is to start with turkey and have maybe a bite of my favorite sides. I'll be bringing mini low carb/low sugar cheesecakes for dessert.