Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I had my sleeve, I was excited for it. I wasn’t overjoyed - I’d rather have never been obese in the first place 😅 - but I wanted to have it, took it very seriously, made all sorts of commitments to myself that were destined to fail (I’ll never have a cookie again - yeah, sure buddy). I was in the right mindset to succeed.

I’ve regained some weight, but what’s really motivating my revision is GERD. All I can think about is that I didn’t want a bypass the first time around for some specific reasons (dumping, flatulence, nutritional deficits).

I’m not excited for this. I’m not eager to make certain lifestyle changes. In short, I’m not in the right mindset.

Who else went through this? How did you prepare yourself?

At my initial appointment with the surgeon I was 100% sleeve ready.

We discussed my health, history, medications and personal goals. During which my severe GERD obviously came up. I was on 2 prescriptions and still always had TUMS on had. It was miserable and NOT controlled by the meds. This was a big concern for him (my surgeon) as sleeve patients already have a higher risk of developing GERD or is worsening. There was NO way I could deal with it getting worse. Honestly, I don't even know how it could. I was up a night vomiting fire, so bad my voice would be hoarse for the next few days.

With that and the amount of weight I am aiming to loose he highly recommended bypass. I was scared, (to me) this was much more of a surgery. More risks, the whole Vitamin thing.. etc. He said it was totally my choice, he would do either surgery but that was his recommendation. He provided some additional information and told me to think about it and next time we talk I could let him know.

I read, and read, and read everything. Weighing the pros and cons.

I decided that the GERD part alone was enough to make me move forward with bypass.

Right away I stopped 1 of my GERD meds, I had to stay on the other one as directed by the surgeon to help heal and reduce the risk of ulcers. No issues with stopping 1 and didn't need TUMS. One the surgeon allowed me to stop the second medication (2 months post-op) I did. And still ALL GOOD! I am off all medications and have had NO sign of any acid reflux related problems!

NO REGRETS!

I don't know how to get you into the mindset, do research. Looking forward to the relief of GERD alone would get me there.

I think you're worrying too much about bypass issues. I never hear much about flatulence issues. I suppose some people have trouble with that, but I don't think it's super common. Same with dumping - happens to about 30% of bypassers, and if you're one who dumps, you can control it by limiting how much sugar you eat at one sitting (or fat - a minority of dumpers dump on fat). Nutritional deficiencies can be avoided if you keep on top of your supplements.

2 hours ago, ryan_86 said:

When I had my sleeve, I was excited for it. I wasn’t overjoyed - I’d rather have never been obese in the first place 😅 - but I wanted to have it, took it very seriously, made all sorts of commitments to myself that were destined to fail (I’ll never have a cookie again - yeah, sure buddy). I was in the right mindset to succeed.

I’ve regained some weight, but what’s really motivating my revision is GERD. All I can think about is that I didn’t want a bypass the first time around for some specific reasons (dumping, flatulence, nutritional deficits).

I’m not excited for this. I’m not eager to make certain lifestyle changes. In short, I’m not in the right mindset.

First I asked about getting the MGB before I got my revision to RNY for gerd, I was told that there are recent studies that MGB is linked to bile reflux. Because I was in the minority groups of VSG that got severe reflux (I think it's 15-20% of VSG), there is no way I was going to risk getting bile reflux. Also, my surgeon cautioned me against the MGB and told me to go RNY to help with my gerd. So, I was apprehensive like everyone else. I just suffered so bad and so long from gerd, I was actually looking forward to sleeping and no fake gnawing feelings of hunger that gerd gave me, or burning throat all day long... Etc.

So 15 months since my revision, and no severe gerd. I also do not have any side effects like dumping, fluctuance, and am getting great post-op blood tests. I am feeling so normal (pre WLS op normal) but the only difference is I eat very little comparatively speaking. It has been an incredibly smooth ride.

Edited by Tomo
typo

4 hours ago, ryan_86 said:

I wasn’t particularly excited to be converted from VSG to RNY either but I knew I needed to do it. I was eating specifically to avoid GERD flare ups towards the end. Surprisingly my lifestyle is nearly identical between the surgeries except I’m super careful with (known) dumping triggers. There was a small adjustment period but other than that not much of a difference EXCEPT GERD has been gone for 3 yrs and counting.

Good Luck!

These comments are encouraging. I’m revising from my VSG (2015) to RNY in 8 days and I have SOMUCH anxiety about it! I’ve lost more weight this year than I did post VSG thanks to a combination of severe GERD, aerophagia from my CPAP, and Ozempic. It’s worth it if it resolves the GERD and aerophagia (maybe sleep apnea altogether but I won’t hold my breath 😜). I’m just worried I’m trading one set of problems for another.
One specific thing I’m worried about is immediately post op. I still can feel viscerally the heaving/gagging in PACU once I was extubated and they were trying to wake me up. It felt like I could breathe due to those dry heaves! I’m scared of going through that again!

I wasn’t particularly excited to be converted from VSG to RNY either but I knew I needed to do it. I was eating specifically to avoid GERD flare ups towards the end. Surprisingly my lifestyle is nearly identical between the surgeries except I’m super careful with (known) dumping triggers. There was a small adjustment period but other than that not much of a difference EXCEPT GERD has been gone for 3 yrs and counting.

Good Luck!
Did you lose weight after revision, (if yes) how much and how long did it take? Thanks so much!

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

39 minutes ago, SeattleLady said:

Did you lose weight after revision, (if yes) how much and how long did it take? Thanks so much!

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m not a good reference for weighloss after revision because I had the revision when I was at goal but the preop and stress of surgery led me to lose 10-15lbs. (I worked to regain that weight as my surgeon did not want me to lose any additional weight)