Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food after sleeve surgery

I know some may think I am crazy but it is 10 days after surgery and I can't stomach Protein Shakes since surgery so I have had no Protein until today. I had some steak tips today and cut it to shreds and seems like my stomach had no issues. Many I heard wait months before they try steak. I had to because I was feeling so weak. Has anyone else ate things earlier than they were suppose to? Thanks.

First, yes the shakes can be awful after surgery. Usually because our taste buds temporarily change. Sometimes changing brands or trying different flavours help. But if you still can’t tolerate them, don’t forget you can have Bone Broth, consommés, cream Soups, milk. Even the Protein waters are an option. I’d forgotten how awful shakes were (didn’t do them pre surgery) but I’d grit my teeth, dilute it & have one for Breakfast each day (literally sipped it over a couple of hours). Then I’d have Soup for my other meals. I actually found using warm/hot Water with my chocolate flavoured shake a bit easier - more like a grainy hot chocolate. You’ll be on purées in a couple of days.

Secondly, remember the staged return to eating is in place to protect & not put stress on your healing tummy. Remember all those sutures & staples holding your tummy together. Also lots of nerves were cut during your surgery so you may not actually be able to tell if you strained your tummy eating steak this soon. I always say all because you can doesn’t mean you should. You may get away with it once but do you want to push your luck?

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

Very true. I only did it to get some food and Protein in me. I did not eat much. Thanks for the input. Started at 290 and down to 264 with pre op and 10 days after surgery.

There are plenty of other choices for Protein other than Protein Shakes that won't rip your sutures or injure your staple line. Lots of pureed foods and soft foods like cottage cheese, Beans, ricotta cheese, greek yogurt, hummus and more that are high protein. Steak after 10 days post-op is simply dangerous. A piece of steak won't make up for 10 days of having no protein at all. It is about safety. Give your stomach 6 to 8 weeks to heal. I hope your doctor explained all this to you.

Others had very good ideas for alternatives to shakes for Protein but if you feel you just can’t do it your better off to talk to your team about progressing to the next step (purées) a bit sooner than skipping ahead as far as steak. At this point it’s not just like you’re cheating on a diet and may gain a little weight. Not to be an Alarmist but You can seriously hurt yourself with just that little bit of steak. Thankfully it sounds like you’re okay this time but that doesn’t mean it will go so well if you did it again. If you tell your team you are tolerating the liquids and all that well and your struggling with the shakes they may give you the okay to advance to the next stage a little sooner. Just try to remember this won’t last forever. And congrats on your loss so far.

I don't think I would have risked that.

You might want to try adding the flavorless Iso-Pure to your Soups and yogurts. You can get your Protein and skip the shakes

Oh wow! I don't even eat steak yet and I was cleared to eat whatever I wanted 2 weeks ago! Everyone has already talked about why you shouldn't have it yet, so I won't go in to that.

I wanted to tell you that while I LOVED Protein Shakes before surgery, they were just fine for my pre-op prep. I HATED them after, it wasn't even the taste, my stomach started reacting poorly. Fortunately, I have access to Fairlife milk and Fairlife is easy on your tummy because its lactose free AND it has higher Protein per serving than regular milk, its a great Protein Shake replacement if you are still in a mostly liquids stage and need to get your protein in! I was drinking three 8-10 oz glasses of Fairlife Lowfat milk a day, until just recently because I can now have Protein Bars and other solid forms of protein. The shakes or the milk are SUPER important to make sure your body gets enough protein until you are cleared for solid foods.

When I was in the pureed stage my go-tos were refried Beans with a little cheese and taco sauce on them (still eat that now!), cottage cheese, low fat/low sugar greek yogurt, Protein 2 O (its a protein water!), and Fairlife milk.

Good job on your progress, take care of your new little tummy!

Yea-scrambled egg, yogurt, refried Beans, all ways to get some of the Protein in you.

But tell your doc, though...

Well I got 2 more days and I can eat a lot more things but I had steak again today but small bites and chewed well. I see no danger but they tell people that for precaution. Only thing other than eggs I am eating. I will.let you know how it goes. Trying lean ground beef in a few days.

Well I got 2 more days and I can eat a lot more things but I had steak again today but small bites and chewed well. I see no danger but they tell people that for precaution. Only thing other than eggs I am eating. I will.let you know how it goes. Trying lean ground beef in a few days.

If you can't stay on plan now, even if it is for your own safety, you should talk to your team so they can help you.

I am fine now. I can start having eggs, lean deli meat and lean ground beef and seedless watermelon and canned peaches. That lasts 14 days and then I am open to a regular diet. The steak tips got me through this is all I am saying. Of jotbfor them I may have been a complete mess.

I think you might just have been lucky! Having read a lot here before my surgery I wouldn't have risked it.

Good luck with the other stages of your post-op diet. 👍