Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling

Oh yeah it happens. You know the old wanting something even more when you can’t have it. Plus not everyone loses their hunger or desire to eat after surgery. Try to find things to distract you. Go for a short walk, read, watch a show or movie, play a game, craft, check your social media or this forum. Anything that takes your mind off food at least for a little while. Even having a warm drink (like herbal or green tea) can help.

I hope these next weeks are better for you. It does really get easier.

Nothing will really help, but brush your teeth--it helps.

I had the shiniest mouth in the galaxy!! 😂

7 hours ago, oldandtired said:

… but brush your teeth--it helps.

I had the shiniest mouth in the galaxy!! 😂

I forgot that. I used to do it too until recently. First to get rid of the horrid grainy taste & coating on my teeth from the shakes & then I found the minty taste refreshing. Plus I was reluctant to eat if I’d just cleaned my teeth.

Edited by Arabesque

On 10/31/2022 at 4:52 PM, kimb59 said:

2nd week in and I didn't do well last week. I'm struggling and thinking about food all the time. Is this normal?

Sent from my SM-A505U using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh yeah. I'm 2 weeks out, today. I could kill for a cheeseburger, right now. LOL! I start purees on Thursday and I'm just dreaming about everything.

I really struggled during my 2nd week. I did something that I'm not proud of (chew & spit) because I found my liquid & puree stage to be very difficult. All I wanted was REAL food. However once I was able to switch to soft foods those thoughts started to go away & I felt much more content with what I was eating. the soft food stage brought back the normalcy I needed. I hope that helps you too. Just keep pushing!

43 minutes ago, bbykitty said:

I did something that I'm not proud of (chew & spit) because I found my liquid & puree stage to be very difficult.

This is actually quite common. I heard about doing it, before I had my surgery.

I talked to my husband about it and we both agreed, if it's what someone needs to do, then do it.

If I'm really wanting beef, but it isn't going to sit well in my tummy, then I'll be chewing and spitting, too.

I remember telling my husband about two weeks post-op, that I didn't feel like I was losing weight, I felt like I was wasting away. It WILL get better, it is very common for people at your stage of the diet to feel not-great and even regret the surgery. One day soon that will change.

1 hour ago, cindyleonn said:

The thought of my Protein Shakes and electrolytes makes me sick. Even just looking at them. I know I need to get my Protein in as well as liquids but idk how. I can tolerate brother and Water but I get nauseous just thinking of Protein shakes.

You have to just keep reminding yourself that it's temporary. Plug your nose while you drink it, you won't taste it as much. Have you tried adding unflavored Protein Powder to your broth?

I’m at 1 week post op and on purées. I’m finding my cramps are absolutely unbearable! I am so hungry! But I am super active and nothing is cutting my need to eat. I am so frustrated because I truly have no clue what my body is telling me it needs or wants. But I can tell you I know when I let the desire of my eating before, win out…I pay for the entire day! I think I am going back to the liquid stage for a day or two and then going to progress a little at a time! We all got this! I hate journaling, but I am finding the necessity of it too!