Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A year ago, I did gastric sleeve. My weight was originally 230 pounds. Now, it's 117 pounds. I feel pretty ecstatic that my weight has gone down. However, that's where the happy list ends.

I'm concerned with the direction my life is heading after the surgery. I suffer from the following problems:

1. Chronic Constipation.< /strong> I must take Dulcolax laxative every day for relief. Miralax powder doesn't work. My GI doctor performed a colonoscopy, but nothing malign was found. It's debilitating not to be able to get the relief I desperately need, and to feel dependent on medications when I thought this would be temporary.
  2. Increased appetite. It's becoming more difficult to control my eating habits. I'm constantly hungry.
  3. Excess skin and fat. It's impossible to look at myself naked without judging my body.

Has anyone else been going through these problems? What has worked well and not so well for you?

First of all, I'm so sorry you are struggling. Know that you are not alone and that many folks experience some wonderful things after WLS as well as some more difficult things. That is just part of the process; its definitely not always sunshine and roses.

1- Constipation is VERY common. Are you taking an Iron supplement? They are notorious for exacerbating constipation. If you're taking any additional iron, it may be worth getting your labs checked - if they are normal, maybe you can drop that? Another option would be to add a Prebiotic Fiber supplement. I take about 15g of Just Better Fiber daily and it is a HUGE help. Make sure you are well hydrated, especially when taking laxatives, stool softeners, etc. Lastly, are you getting in any fiber in your food? This goes with #2....

2- The return of hunger is normal and expected. Your body is doing EXACTLY what its supposed to do. It may be helpful to start introducing more fruits & veggies, which will help you feel fuller longer and help with constipation. Also, are you hitting your Protein goals? If not, definitely focus on getting that protein in. If you're hitting your goals, adding in nutrient rich fruits & veggies, and STILL feeling uncontrollably hungry, then it may be time to consult with a bariatric dietitian. Hunger is normal, feeling miserable is not.

3- I think a LOT of us struggle with body image before and after surgery. There is a trade off that happens - we lose the weight and are healthy, but it can make the physical effects of a lifetime obesity more obvious to us. Therapy therapy therapy. I can't encourage it strongly enough. Learning to cope with those feelings, learning to be kind to our new bodies, learning to love ourselves well, THAT is the hard work of weight loss and it is truly a lifelong process. Get help, and keep getting help. Outside of that - buy clothes that make you feel good, as much as you can focus on what you LIKE about your body instead of what you don't, if its practical for you, you can always look into plastic surgery, and of course, you could just refrain from looking in the mirror naked. I know, easier said than done, but if its causing your harm emotionally, then maybe hold off for now.

You aren't alone and you aren't crazy. WLS is hard work and there is a lot that comes with it that doesn't get talked about much. We are rooting for you.

Edited by Sleeve_Me_Alone

Sleeve me alone covered a lot. Gave some really Great advice. I just want to add congratulations on your loss!! It sounds like you are keeping it off too in spite of your hunger coming back. I am a year and a half out and struggling a bit with regain so I know that is not an easy task. Also, 113 pounds is a pretty significant loss, if the extra skin is bad (as in causing you medical issues) your insurance may cover some plastic surgery as medically necessary. I’m not certain because you have to meet certain criteria based on your insurance but if you didn’t know it’s possible it could be covered in some instances. If you are interested in that option you may want to ask your team if you would qualify. From what I understand for some insurance you have to document it rubbing and rashes and stuff but with others it just has to hang down a certain amount to qualify as medically necessary.

I am 6-7 months out. I do not have Constipation but the hunger is back and i am constantly hungry. I try to have "Healthy" stuff to snack on. Even those bags of precooked chicken strips i find in the cheese isle. I eat a couple strips and i am full again and its not that much calories either. as for the loose skin that is something i expected way before i had my surgery and i knew it was coming. Just something we gotta learn to deal with it for those of us who cant or dont want surgery to remove that all.

6 hours ago, Hannah_Johnson said:

A year ago, I did gastric sleeve. My weight was originally 230 pounds. Now, it's 117 pounds. I feel pretty ecstatic that my weight has gone down. However, that's where the happy list ends.

I'm concerned with the direction my life is heading after the surgery. I suffer from the following problems:

1. Chronic constipation.< /strong> I must take Dulcolax laxative every day for relief. Miralax powder doesn't work. My GI doctor performed a colonoscopy, but nothing malign was found. It's debilitating not to be able to get the relief I desperately need, and to feel dependent on medications when I thought this would be temporary.
  2. Increased appetite. It's becoming more difficult to control my eating habits. I'm constantly hungry.
  3. Excess skin and fat. It's impossible to look at myself naked without judging my body.

Has anyone else been going through these problems? What has worked well and not so well for you?

1. I’ve confirmed with my team that taking laxatives long term is not an issue.

2. Absolutely! I have a “normal” appetite. I can get really hungry but also I can wait to eat better than before surgery so this is a huge improvement. Also there are exciting new medicines on the market (and in trials for weight loss) that targets appetite suppression (wegovy, Ozempic and mounjaro) so there’s more hope.

3. Yes. A million times yes. It was hard for me to see the finished product of what I worked for until I had plastic surgery. That route is not *necessary* or even desirable for everyone, but it is a solution for those who want to explore it.

Good luck and never give up ❤️

Edited by GreenTealael

I agree 100% with everything Sleeve_Me_Alone said. All of those issues are very common.

9 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

I am 6-7 months out. I do not have constipation but the hunger is back and i am constantly hungry. I try to have "Healthy" stuff to snack on. Even those bags of precooked chicken strips i find in the cheese isle. I eat a couple strips and i am full again and its not that much calories either. as for the loose skin that is something i expected way before i had my surgery and i knew it was coming. Just something we gotta learn to deal with it for those of us who cant or dont want surgery to remove that all.

Pre cooked chicken strips? Like the Tyson brand ones? I like this idea

17 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

3. Yes. A million times yes. It was hard for me to see the finished product of what I worked for until I had plastic surgery. That route is not *necessary* or even desirable for everyone, but it is a solution for those who want to explore it.

Skin removal surgery is a huge game changer when it comes to body image. Excess skin is an incredibly awful mind f*ck.

14 hours ago, bbykitty said:

Pre cooked chicken strips? Like the Tyson brand ones? I like this idea

Yup. These are the ones i get. They heat up in the microwave so its a nice quick Protein source to get you full quick

chicken.png

Edited by liveaboard15