Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to clarify something here for those that are following along at home. A random blood sugar test can be used to indicate diabetes, but just because your blood sugar is less than 200 mg/dL, does not mean that you don't have diabetes.

An analogy would be this: if you weigh over 600 pounds, you are definitely obese. Just because you weigh less than 600 pounds does not mean you are not obese.

I'm diabetic, but my blood sugar was never over 200 mg/dL any time I checked.

As I mentioned, it's much more common to use A1C and fasting blood glucose tests to diagnose diabetes. Fasting is good because blood sugar fluctuates throughout the day. It should be at its lowest point after an 8 to 10 hour fast, so for most people, this is first thing in the morning. The other common test most diabetics are asked to do is "postprandial". This means after a meal. Now timing after that meal is subject to some debate, but typically 2 hours after eating is used as the "standard" for diabetics. For everyone, even non-diabetics, your blood sugar will start going up roughly 10 minutes after starting to eat. While this is heavily dependent on what and how much you ate, in a non-diabetic, your postprandial blood sugar should peak within about an hour of eating and should be back to normal in 2 to 3 hours.

For diabetics, this normally does not happen as fast, so the peak blood sugar concentration is typically closer to 2 hours after eating. In short, most type 2 diabetics are asked to take a postprandial reading 2 hours after eating.

Both fasting and postprandial readings are used to determine how well the disease is managed. For example, a high fasting blood glucose test might indicate that your diabetes medication needs to be adjusted. Another example might be if the post prandial reading is actually lower than the fasting number. If this is a consistent trend, it might indicate reactive hypoglycemia.

5 hours ago, SpartanMaker said:

I want to clarify something here for those that are following along at home. A random blood sugar test can be used to indicate diabetes, but just because your blood sugar is less than 200 mg/dL, does not mean that you don't have diabetes.

An analogy would be this: if you weigh over 600 pounds, you are definitely obese. Just because you weigh less than 600 pounds does not mean you are not obese.

As I mentioned, it's much more common to use A1C and fasting blood glucose tests to diagnose diabetes. Fasting is good because blood sugar fluctuates throughout the day. It should be at its lowest point after an 8 to 10 hour fast, so for most people, this is first thing in the morning. The other common test most diabetics are asked to do is "postprandial". This means after a meal. Now timing after that meal is subject to some debate, but typically 2 hours after eating is used as the "standard" for diabetics. For everyone, even non-diabetics, your blood sugar will start going up roughly 10 minutes after starting to eat. While this is heavily dependent on what and how much you ate, in a non-diabetic, your postprandial blood sugar should peak within about an hour of eating and should be back to normal in 2 to 3 hours.

For diabetics, this normally does not happen as fast, so the peak blood sugar concentration is typically closer to 2 hours after eating. In short, most type 2 diabetics are asked to take a postprandial reading 2 hours after eating.

Both fasting and postprandial readings are used to determine how well the disease is managed. For example, a high fasting blood glucose test might indicate that your diabetes medication needs to be adjusted. Another example might be if the post prandial reading is actually lower than the fasting number. If this is a consistent trend, it might indicate reactive hypoglycemia.

Wow. I get lost in all the details of all that. I am thankful that it’s not something I urgently need to totally understand. Thank you for all your responses though. I am at least starting to get it thanks to you.

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 10/25/2022 at 4:56 PM, ShoppGirl said:

Okay I have been gaining weight post sleeve so I asked my family dr about my hormones. He ordered some thyroid labs but says he also wants me to come get my blood sugar checked two hours after a big meal. He also said that my psyc meds can cause diabetes and I should be doing this test every 4-6 months as long as I’m on them. i thought he was suggesting this as a possibility for why I’m gaining weight but when I got home and googled it I see that weight loss is actually a symptom so I am confused. I drink about a gallon a day so I guess I may check the excessive thirst box and of course I pee a lot with all that Water. Also, did tell him that I always feel hungry but I’m gaining not losing. Am I misunderstanding. I know nothing about diabetes.

did he test your a1c?

with weight loss you often have to readjust down many meds including psych meds. If your meds are inducing diabetes you may want to taper or change meds if possible.

type 2 diabetes (nearly all adults who get it are that) usually gain weight due to insulin resistance due to stress on pancreas and other biochemical issues due to excess weight. there is a small contingent of adults who develop a latent autoimmune diabetes which is really a different disorder with same result of pancreas not working (my dad has it) and there isn’t as much you can do)

it will settle out and you will learn no matter what! we got your back

14 hours ago, KimA-GA said:

did he test your a1c?

with weight loss you often have to readjust down many meds including psych meds. If your meds are inducing diabetes you may want to taper or change meds if possible.

type 2 diabetes (nearly all adults who get it are that) usually gain weight due to insulin resistance due to stress on pancreas and other biochemical issues due to excess weight. there is a small contingent of adults who develop a latent autoimmune diabetes which is really a different disorder with same result of pancreas not working (my dad has it) and there isn’t as much you can do)

it will settle out and you will learn no matter what! we got your back

Thanks!!

I was diabetic pre surgery and my blood sugar never went over 160 after a meal, but my A1c was 7.4. Type 2 diabetes causes weight gain among other issues. Psych meds definitely cause weight gain, and hormonal imbalances (particularly PCOS, which I have) definitely cause weight gain and slow down or stop weight loss.

Well I got my thyroid labs back and only one of them was slightly elevated. I think it was the T4 (I was driving and didn’t write it down) but the family dr said since all the other thyroid tests were normal he is inclined to think it’s a fluke and my issues must be with my meds. I asked the nurse if I should keep my appointment with the endocrinologist and she said she would. She said there are more tests that they can run and she was another example of someone who’s labs kept coming back normal for years and finally she has a diagnosis from the endo that explains it (she didn’t say what). My appointment is December 6. Wish me luck.

On 11/4/2022 at 7:23 PM, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I was diabetic pre surgery and my blood sugar never went over 160 after a meal, but my A1c was 7.4. Type 2 diabetes causes weight gain among other issues. Psych meds definitely cause weight gain, and hormonal imbalances (particularly PCOS, which I have) definitely cause weight gain and slow down or stop weight loss.

PCOS if I had that that would be picked up during routine Pap smears though, right?

2 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

PCOS if I had that that would be picked up during routine Pap smears though, right?

No. That's got nothing to do with a PAP. Ways to find it are through blood work and classic symptoms such as irregular or non existent periods, skin tags, dark areas under arms and under breasts, predominant weight gain in the stomach area, inability to get or stay pregnant, major hormonal imbalances, insulin resistance, etc...

On 10/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, ShoppGirl said:

Hummmm. I gotta do more research. I swear I just read that it causes weight LOSS which didn’t make sense at all since so many people have WLS because of diabetes and he was ordering the test for ME.

I am a type II diabetic, one of the reasons for the surgery. Post surgery many people have vast improvement in blood sugar levels. I also have heard that people gain before they lose which is confusing to me. I am just following Dr recommendations and praying for positive outcome.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:24 AM, SpartanMaker said:

I am wondering if i will have to continue on the Ozempic once weekly shot or if the oral diabetic meds will be suffiecient or if I might be able to get off all the meds and manage with diet. Diabetes is such a complicated disease. My brother died from complications of diabetes by not taking care of himself, I do not want the same fate!

One may have hormones tested through a day of 5 samples of oral fluids. This may allow a yskilled GYN to learn if replacement therapy may assist you achieve a balance.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:15 PM, Merri Beth said:

I am wondering if i will have to continue on the Ozempic once weekly shot or if the oral diabetic meds will be suffiecient or if I might be able to get off all the meds and manage with diet. Diabetes is such a complicated disease. My brother died from complications of diabetes by not taking care of himself, I do not want the same fate!

I was told to stop my metformin the day of surgery and was told not to restart it. My blood sugar has been 100% normal since surgery. We'll see where my A1C is when I do my 4 month follow-up, but I fully expect it to be in the normal range as well.

Now I should state that I had bypass, not a sleeve. Bypass is often credited with similar results to mine in terms of reducing or eliminating diabetes symptoms VERY quickly, but I really don't know if sleeve is the same?

1 minute ago, SpartanMaker said:

I was told to stop my metformin the day of surgery and was told not to restart it. My blood sugar has been 100% normal since surgery. We'll see where my A1C is when I do my 4 month follow-up, but I fully expect it to be in the normal range as well.

Now I should state that I had bypass, not a sleeve. Bypass is often credited with similar results to mine in terms of reducing or eliminating diabetes symptoms VERY quickly, but I really don't know if sleeve is the same?

Wow that is great news! I will be meeting with dietition at my surgeons office on the 22nd so I am going to ask them while I am there. I so hope my diabetes is under better control after this!