Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI obesity gastric sleeve option

On 10/25/2022 at 6:17 AM, SpartanMaker said:

I hate that "it's taking the easy way out" line. There's nothing easy about this. Plus, why in the world would that even matter? It's like some people think if we use a tool like surgery, we didn't pay our "penance" for being fat.

"Nope, sorry, you're not worthy of being healthy, because you cheated your way to health. Do it the right way or not at all"

Really?

I sympathize with the position you're in as my wife was and still is very anti weight-loss surgery. Her line was always why would you permanently alter your anatomy when it's possible to do this without making so drastic a change? My response is I never had a problem losing weight, what I always struggled with was maintaining. After way too many yo-yo diets, I needed to do something else. Dieting alone was not working for me. I needed a better tool.

That's what it is, by the way, a tool. The analogy I like to use is that WLS is like a shovel. I know that sounds odd, but bear with me...

I've dug quite a number of holes on my property to plant trees. Most of those trees will be here longer than I will, but It's still worth it to plant them. I suppose technically I could have tried to dig those holes with my hands but wow, that would have been a challenge and I'm not sure I would have been able to finish the job.

With a shovel, it became doable. The shovel still was a lot of work, but it made an almost impossible job, possible. No one thinks using a shovel is "cheating", we just think of it as a better tool.

At the end of the day, the risk of early death for me was extremely high with cardiac issues, diabetes, liver and kidney problems, etc. I began to feel that I was living on borrowed time. WLS for me was life-changing and life saving. It immediately reversed my diabetes and high-blood pressure. I used the tool because I had reached the point where all I saw in front of me was an early death.

For what it's worth, it would also seem that the medical community takes your side here based on the available medical evidence:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/442260-after-30-years-new-guidelines-for-weight-loss-surgery/

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Totally agree with everything you said. Loved your analogy, too. It is amazing how WLS helps with health issues. I have a diabetic friend that lost about a hundred pounds through diet but still had diabetes, gained some weight back, then had the Sleeve Surgery and within 2 months is totally off diabetic meds as well as his other meds. My experience has to do with gastric problems. For over 4 years I have had gastritis and colitis causing, vomiting daily and severe diarrhea to the point of not being able to leave my house. After many tests, 2 colonoscopies, 3 EDGs, and many, many meds it was finally discovered I had developed a hiatal hernia, ulcers and a damaged pyloric caused by having about 5 times too much stomach acid that was destroying my stomach lining and allowing the acid to seep throughout my digestive system causing severe intestine problems. I was sleeved on 9-1-22. From day 1, no more gastric problems at all! And have lost 30 pounds so far.

Congratulations on making a decision that is best for you and continued success in your journey to better health. As stated, it is not a "cheat', or the easy way out. It is what is best for YOU!

Thanks so much for both of your replies. It does encourage me a lot. I had yesterday an ultrasound in preparation for the surgery , and was told I am grade I Non alcoholic fatty liver disease. Plus my high blood pressure and high cholesterol. All in all, I am more reassured today. In fact , I started thinking about SG as a mostly aesthetic issue to my overwheight, but now I am paying much more focus upon the positive health issues.

The best thing is have her go with you to appointments, and she will soon see how this is not the “easy way”. We have to change everything about how and what we eat for the rest of our lives, and if we slip up we can have even bigger issues

i did not let my husband go to appointments, and now I’m wishing I had, because he would have heard everything from the professionals and having me repeat it, but he has no idea what I have to do other than what he sees me doing from day to day

On 10/26/2022 at 4:00 AM, SpartanMaker said:

Hmm, I look at it completely the other way around. How I wish I'd done this when I was 44, or even better 34, instead of waiting to my late 50's.

I think of all the opportunities to enjoy life I passed up on because I was too fat. How many opportunities to do things as a family did I pass up on because I was to heavy to do them. How many times did I stay home instead of go out because of my weight.

I also think of the fact that I lived decades in pain that probably could have been avoided had I been healthier when I was younger. How many of the 15 plus surgeries that I've had could have been avoided? How many of the conditions like diabetes, coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure could I have avoided entirely had I done this decades ago?

I think of the fact that I now see the same patterns of disordered eating showing up in my grown children and have to wonder if I'd addressed this obesity disease when I was younger, could I have modeled healthy living for them and perhaps have broken the cycle? I have to wonder if now it's too late for them to see me making health changes and make their own changes as a result.

So yes, how I wish I'd done this while I was "awfully young".

I completely agree with you. I'm 57 and had my sleeve 11 weeks ago. How I wish I had done this when I was in my 30s or 40s as I also feel like I missed out on so much due to my weight! Already feel its the best thing I've done and down 17kg (38 lb).

I say go for it! It's a great tool to help with our weight loss journey