Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever had the op cancelled due to cheating on pre op? I’ve been pretty good staying within the 1200 calories (mostly)- Optifast shakes, veges, 2 litres Water a day- and the odd bit of Protein -but I have blown out a few times- is this common?? I’ve probably lost about 5-6 kg in 3.5 weeks.. I’m 165cm x 94kg. BMI if 34.5

now I’m starting to worry- I have my op booked for Thursday this week.

I have heard of people being opened up and then closed without surgery because their liver was too large.

The diet is to try to shrink the liver, so cheating won't help.

I am sure you will be fine if you stuck with it 99% of the time, but there is always a chance.

Strictly stick with it for the remainder of your pre-op diet is really the best thing you can do at this point.

Good luck.

Thanks for reply.. I have 2 days of pre op to go. I’m doing the next 2 strictly shakes and Water. ugh I’m so worried. I think I’ve done pretty well considering. I have had no sugar, bread Pasta or rice- a few chips here and there.. majorly reduced my caffeine by 3/4, same with the alcohol and no cigarettes for 11 weeks now. I’m being hard on myself but yeh, I am worried about the possibility of a cancellation cos I have had a few blow outs of 300 cal or so over 1200 limit 😩

10 minutes ago, Nik77 said:

Thanks for reply.. I have 2 days of pre op to go. I’m doing the next 2 strictly shakes and Water. ugh I’m so worried. I think I’ve done pretty well considering. I have had no sugar, bread Pasta or rice- a few chips here and there.. majorly reduced my caffeine by 3/4, same with the alcohol and no cigarettes for 11 weeks now. I’m being hard on myself but yeh, I am worried about the possibility of a cancellation cos I have had a few blow outs of 300 cal or so over 1200 limit 😩

Mine was about 600 calories a day so I feel your pain. We all do, diets differ but they are all hard.

Mine was 4 shakes a day and then we were given a list of foods and the serving sizes and we were allowed 6 servings a day. It was SF pudding, plain oatmeal, some fresh veggies etc. No Proteins or carbs. All of the Protein came from the shakes.

you can do it!

Yeh I’ve done my best but I’ve definitely stuffed up a few times. I just hope the next 2 days of 2 shakes and Water per day will get me over the line. I do not need this to be cancelled now. Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it.

I’m really worrying I’ve f****d up by have a few cheats 😣

you are probably fine with 300 calories over.

I think you will be okay if you have lost weight you are probably shrinking your liver. It just depends on how big it was to begin with I imagine. The smaller it is the safer your surgery will be though so definitely don’t do it again. The more important thing I would be asking myself is if you can do the post op diet without cheating. No judgement here if you can’t but you really need to be certain you are prepared for it because one little cheat post op and you can seriously hurt yourself. If you aren’t ready there is no shame in that. Only you know if you are really ready for the post ip changes. If not, Perhaps a bariatric therapist can help you explore why you are “cheating”.

Yeh I think I’ll be ok. I’ve only had a few stuff ups in 4 weeks. I hear your advice on post op- I’m pretty confident I’ll do this the right way. I just saw a post earlier on a cancelled op and it scared me. I’ve since read a few responses to that post and I can’t believe how some people are not even really doing pre op until a few days before hand.. one person said they just ate what they wanted as their last hurrah! It kinda put it into perspective for me that I’ve actually done okay.. having lost weight does tell me that realistically. Thanks for the advice. I think I just needed to hear some realistic responses to help me get perspective and stop stressing 😊

6 hours ago, Nik77 said:

Has anyone ever had the op cancelled due to cheating on pre op? I’ve been pretty good staying within the 1200 calories (mostly)- Optifast shakes, veges, 2 litres Water a day- and the odd bit of Protein -but I have blown out a few times- is this common?? I’ve probably lost about 5-6 kg in 3.5 weeks.. I’m 165cm x 94kg. BMI if 34.5

Since your BMI is 34.5, it may not be as great an issue as it would be for someone who starts at a higher BMI. What I have heard is that surgery can be cancelled if the stomach is not empty (meaning you ate something the day before and it is still in there digesting). You are going to be just fine!

Tell your doctor and be honest to exactly how, when, what, and why you cheated on your pre-op. He/she/they can decide whether they can go forward from there. Better to decide now vs after they open you up. I had a very strict clear liquid pre-op diet.

7 hours ago, Nik77 said:

Keep it on the straight and narrow from now on and you should be fine.