Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2022 surgery support!

15 hours ago, R2twobees said:

I don't even feel like I had surgery on some days. Some days I can feel the restriction and some days I can eat a lot more than I should, or at least in my mind. This whole process is challenging. I wish I could get rid of feeling bloated.

Sometimes I feel the same way.

4 hours ago, Nubianqueenb10 said:

I had surgery on 11/14. I am back to work full time and have a very high stress job. I am worried I may harm myself or fail due to my job. Work doesn't seem to be as supportive as you would expect.

Make sure you are having your Protein and your liquids and try to squish some walking in your routine. I found it hard to drink the first few days, but I made sure I was drinking at least 1oz more each day still can't hit 64oz, but my doc said as long as I hit 32-40oz and use the restroom 4 times a day, I will not get dehydrated.

7 hours ago, Nubianqueenb10 said:

I had surgery on 11/14. I am back to work full time and have a very high stress job. I am worried I may harm myself or fail due to my job. Work doesn't seem to be as supportive as you would expect.

Feel the same. Sometimes I worry that the stress will trigger the old habits. Also, feeling so busy I know I am not moving enough

27 minutes ago, Makingmoves said:

Feel the same. Sometimes I worry that the stress will trigger the old habits. Also, feeling so busy I know I am not moving enough

Give yourself grace and Celebrate what you’ve overcome and done to get to this very minute. I started forgetting to eat because of writing deadlines then I tried shoveling the food in my face mindlessly as I worked and my body quickly reminded me that it wasn’t a healthy habit before surgery and it isn’t now.
Taking the time to plan out my “eating and drinking schedule” is tough for my go go go-brain. But, every time I do it it’s a contract with myself to slow down and practice self care. Isn’t that what this whole process really is?

19 hours ago, UnicornR'Us said:

Give yourself grace and Celebrate what you’ve overcome and done to get to this very minute. I started forgetting to eat because of writing deadlines then I tried shoveling the food in my face mindlessly as I worked and my body quickly reminded me that it wasn’t a healthy habit before surgery and it isn’t now.
Taking the time to plan out my “eating and drinking schedule” is tough for my go go go-brain. But, every time I do it it’s a contract with myself to slow down and practice self care. Isn’t that what this whole process really is?

Your absolutely right! Thank you for reminding me of this I did this for me and am taking care of me.

22 hours ago, NP_WIP said:

Make sure you are having your Protein and your liquids and try to squish some walking in your routine. I found it hard to drink the first few days, but I made sure I was drinking at least 1oz more each day still can't hit 64oz, but my doc said as long as I hit 32-40oz and use the restroom 4 times a day, I will not get dehydrated.

Yes I am definitely getting my Protein in and sipping my Water all day. Tried this lamb dish last night it was so moist and went down good. Moist meats are important.

5 hours ago, Nubianqueenb10 said:

Yes I am definitely getting my Protein in and sipping my Water all day. Tried this lamb dish last night it was so moist and went down good. Moist meats are important.

I can't even conceive of eating any meat. My dietician and the reading said that my tastes might change... pureed Beans and legumes have made up the bulk of my diet and I've been craving kale salads (very Californian) and swiss chard and cooked greens. Basically, the very description of how my African-American Texas grandmother cooked and ate all of her long life. Fried chicken was a treat for the older generations and she thought fast food and "sugar water" was disgusting. My Russian mother turned into a veggie-lovin' hippie but the secret ingredient to all of our Cultural dishes seemed to be SOUR CREAM! Obviously, I've been thinking about how intrinsic food is to identity. I suspect it is to many of us; especially during the holidays. Having VSG has almost made the holiday foods more special as an observer than a mindless gobbler (almost!). Does anyone else have holiday foods or special cultural dishes with stories?

I bought an Apple Watch before surgery because I wanted to track my walks and apparently it comes with three free months of Apple Fitness+. Tried it for the first time tonight, did a 10 minute absolute beginner's HIIT workout and 10 minute absolute beginner's Functional Strength. I definitely preferred the HIIT, my shoulders felt super tight and "crunchy" which made me feel like I was doing the strength wrong, but it was the first time I did any working out post-op apart from walks outside or on the treadmill and they both went well! Definitely going to keep up with the 10 minute HIIT and then when I feel comfortable with it, try the 20 minute one on the playlist.

Edited by kbsleeved

I bought an Apple Watch before surgery because I wanted to track my walks and apparently it comes with three free months of Apple Fitness+. Tried it for the first time tonight, did a 10 minute absolute beginner's HIIT workout and 10 minute absolute beginner's Functional Strength. I definitely preferred the HIIT, my shoulders felt super tight and "crunchy" which made me feel like I was doing the strength wrong, but it was the first time I did any working out post-op apart from walks outside or on the treadmill and they both went well! Definitely going to keep up with the 10 minute HIIT and then when I feel comfortable with it, try the 20 minute one on the playlist.

I love HIIT, you were already cleared for it?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Happy my soft phase is over this week, was feeling a little bored with food even though I was having different things, but I guess it was the cooking method and textured.

Found my sweet spot with food portion, I can have between 1oz to 2oz, but once I go a little over 1.5oz, I start the cues. So now my left overs are 1.25oz which I know I will be satisfied with.

49 minutes ago, NP_WIP said:

I love HIIT, you were already cleared for it?

My only restriction is not to lift anything over 5 lbs (so my strength exercises were body weight only), otherwise my doctor told me to exercise as tolerated and just to be careful to listen to my body.

12 minutes ago, kbsleeved said:

My only restriction is not to lift anything over 5 lbs (so my strength exercises were body weight only), otherwise my doctor told me to exercise as tolerated and just to be careful to listen to my body.

Oh great, I was waiting for 1 month post op before starting anything other than walking. But I also only have the lifting restriction until week 5 or 6 depending. I do still feel that sore muscle when bending but my surgical glue is coming out of the side incisions since I sleep on my side.

Had my 1st primary doc appt on Friday, blood pressure was in the normal range but still need to continue meds until she sees is stable after a few visits, lost over 20lbs since my las visit one-week preop, my cholesterol went from 232 to 168 and everything else was in the normal range, even my fasting sugar was 79, when usually is in the 90s. She even checked my incisions to see how they were doing, and she will see me in 3 months to see about the bp and for my labs.

Happy holidays everyone!

Came back from vacation everything went well, made sure I was hydrated, was a little low on Protein on some days but only a few grams. Tried everything I wanted within the parameters of my surgeon and luckily nothing was bad everything went down well, and I stopped when satisfied.

Hope everyone is doing well!