Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a queestion for the ladies, Did anyone notice changes in menstrual cycle?

I've noticed over the past few months for me, my cycle has started to change and become earlier and earlier by 2 to 3 days each month. Starting from the 28th and now as today the 18th.

Being curious i thought i would ask to see if anyone else has experienced any changes.

I am about 7 months post-op and on the pill.

I have been on the pill for years, only changing it when I had to get off estrogen for surgery.

I like to skip the "period pills" and never had a problem doing so. Sometimes I would get a little crampy but didn't get my period.

NOW after surgery, if I try to skip the period pills. I still get my period and then it goes kinda crazy like I will have it off and on for like 2 weeks. Then it goes away and by that time I am back to the period pills in my pack. I notice when I take them normal and just suck it up and have my period when those pills hit i stay normal and have no issues.

It is annoying me, I am thinking about moving on to the IUD but that weirds me out so I haven't decided yet.

Mine has been starting later. I asked my Gyn about it and he said because I'd lost a lot of weight so quickly, it's thrown everything out of whack, but not to worry.

I wouldn’t even know. I’ve been using depo for a few years now and have had a total of 4 “periods” in the last 2.

I am a year and a half out and have been around these boards for the same amount of time. This has popped up quite a few times for many women having unusual or missed cycles, spotting, heavier, lighter, cramping etc. it seems to stabalize as the weight loss slows down. I am on birth control and I had breakthrough bleeding and longer periods for about three months as best as I can recall.

5 minutes ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

I wouldn’t even know. I’ve been using depo for a few years now and have had a total of 4 “periods” in the last 2.

I asked about DEPO when I had to stop the Estrogen based pill and my GYNO said it tends to cause weight gain and recommended against it since I was having WLS. She didn't want it to effect things.

How did you do? Did it seem to effect you at all?

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not curently on birth control, never have been. My weight loss is starting to slow down since i'm almost 10 months in from surgery i'm maybe only losing a Kilo per week and then some weeks nothing. Me and my husband want to start a family next year.

I started my period 2 weeks early while on pre-op diet. Started the day of my surgery. That was NOT fun. Nurses told me that it is a common thing among women during rapid weight loss pre-surgery.

Now about 5 weeks later, I'm a week late. I have felt PMS'y for the entire week (actually about 10 days) without the relief of a period starting.

It's maddening, but I am reassured by my bariatric staff that this is all usual.

screwed up menstrual cycles seem to be very common in the first few weeks or months after surgery. It's supposedly due to the fact that estrogen is stored in fat cells, and it starts flooding your body during rapid weight loss. It'll stabilize once your weight loss slows way down.

a couple of people mentioned Depo-Provera. I don't know about the side effects after WLS as I didn't have WLS until I was post-menopausal, but I was on Depo when I was in my 30s. I gained about 45 lbs on it, and I switched to another birth control method after my ob/gyn couldn't guarantee that the weight gain would eventually stop. It has to do with its effect on hormones.

I didn’t have my period for about 2 years prior to surgery…i assumed i was in menopause.

2-3 weeks post surgery, i was surprised when it showed up. It was pretty heavy…for me. It lasted about a week and a bit, compared to the 3-4 days when i used to get it (previously i would have 1, maybe 2 days of tampon-worthy flow followed by 2-3 days of “spotting”). This period was tampon-worthy for a good week.

After that first post-op one, i got my period like clockwork every 4 weeks, lasting 3-4 days again like i used to.

I’m 4 years post op.

🤷🏻‍♀️

8 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

I asked about DEPO when I had to stop the Estrogen based pill and my GYNO said it tends to cause weight gain and recommended against it since I was having WLS. She didn't want it to effect things.

How did you do? Did it seem to effect you at all?

I’ve gained about 30th lbs from my lowest weight (had just recovered from a bowel resection due to a hernia) and depression eating the past 6 months since my dad passed away. But I’m finally getting back into healthier eating and the depression weight is coming off pretty easy.

Depo is definitely dependent on the person. Estrogen based BC made my periods worse (period related anemia) and for me no periods is a godsend.

11 hours ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

I’ve gained about 30th lbs from my lowest weight (had just recovered from a bowel resection due to a hernia) and depression eating the past 6 months since my dad passed away. But I’m finally getting back into healthier eating and the depression weight is coming off pretty easy.

Depo is definitely dependent on the person. Estrogen based BC made my periods worse (period related anemia) and for me no periods is a godsend.

Thanks for your input.

I am glad to hear you are slowly getting back to "normal". A big loss like that takes time, give yourself the time you need.