Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my ESG journey!

Hello everyone! I would like to know if you are happy with your results and if possible where did you do the procedure and how much did it cost? Super exited! But I would love to have some references thank you!

Hi! I had an ESG September 8th, 2022. I am about 5 weeks out and just started regular food yesterday. I was already sleeved 11 years ago and had gained back about 45 pounds. I had lost 110 originally. I have lost about 20 pounds now, 15 since surgery day. I am just starting my second journey but so far so good. I had it at IBI in Atlanta. The first day was a little uncomfortable and I rested a lot. I never took any pain meds though. I was afraid they would make me sick since we cant eat solid food yet. It cost about 6k dollars. They were having a special and I think they always do. lol. I have been happy with them and my care so far. I do all my visits telemedicine. I drove to Atlanta, had surgery the next morning, followed up the next day and then drove home. I live about 6 hours away. Two hotel nights . Hope that helps! Welcome!

2 hours ago, Milena81 said:

Wow! Where did you do it in Atlanta? How much did it cost?

It was 5995 and I had it in Buckhead. It was at IBI institute. Loved them! They were so nice and accommodating. I had all my visits Telehealth so I only had to go there for the actual surgery and follow up the next day.

Hi, I am so glad to see more people here who have had or are looking into ESG! I highly recommend it. I was looking into it for a while. What convinced me to go this route was the recent MERIT study published in The Lancet. Here's a decent summary of the findings: https://www.bariatricnews.net/post/merit-rct-endoscopic-sleeve-gastroplasty-is-safe-and-results-in-significant-weight-loss.

I had my ESG on October 7th and have lost 15 pounds as of today (10 days later). Like Forensikchic, I had very little pain. My procedure was at 10:30 am, was discharged and on my way home by 1:30 pm, and basically slept the rest of the day. The next day I had some gas and nausea, for which I had zofran (which made me throw up, so no more of that tyvm!). I slept in a recliner in an abundance of caution until the 3rd night, but I could have skipped that.

The procedure was Friday and I was back in the office on Monday, Day 3. Looking back, I had super low energy until I started Protein Shakes on Day 3. I was easily tired the entire first week, only short walks and light dumbbells / kettlebell lifts. But I was drastically better when I started the soft/puree stage (real food, bless!) on Day 7.

By yesterday, Day 9, I was able to walk briskly for over an hour. This morning, I did a 5K run/walk/run, which was great. I was also able to deadlift 5x3 sets at 95 lbs (a big de-load for me) without problems because there's no cutting with this procedure. Other than having to limit my caffeine intake (UGH!!), I consider myself back at 100% as of today, Day 10. Yay!

My doctor gave me a Post-Procedure Guidebook provided by the device manufacturer, but I could not find it on their website (apolloendo.com) to share. So here is a picture of the page with the summary of stages of food. See how easy?

IMG_0364.thumb.jpg.e232bbf2a888546ee15fcca6e5da8640.jpg

In summary, yes -- I am super happy I chose ESG. My life is such that I could not have taken the time off necessary for surgery. It was either this or nothing. I am so glad I went forward with it.

Hello, I am scheduled for ESG on Monday and I'm getting nervous. I previously had VSG about 8 years ago and have regained about half of what I lost....I am on the lower end of the BMI, but have hashimotos and PCOS so its impossible for me to loose weight. This is the only thing that has worked. I already eat super low carb and my diet isn't the problem. I belelive it's from my stomach stretching out.

Anyways, I am so nervous for the two weeks of the liquid diet and feeling hungry through that time. Did you guys experience hunger? I'll get shaky and a little hypoglycemic so I'm dreading this part. It gives me comfort to read your experiences and am thankful to have this platform to ask questions on!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I did not feel hungry at all the first few days. It was a struggle just to get enough liquids and Protein Shakes. I started feeling what I thought was hunger in week 2, because in the past I always interpreted tummy rumbling as a hunger signal. But thankfully, I learned it was actually just digestive / gas bubbles in my new tiny stomach which still had swelling at that time. (I mean, I tried to eat something but threw up. I was just misreading that feeling as a hunger signal.) My team put me on a PPI to control stomach acid, which worked wonders to get rid of that feeling. I also sucked on some lemon sugar-free lozenges for mild sore throat after the procedure, which helped as well. They stopped all my meds, including for pre-diabetes, so I did not get low blood sugar. Maybe ask your team about it if hypoglycemia is a concern?

Overall, I had a really easy recovery. I was back at work day 3 after my procedure. No pain whatsoever except occasional gas. The only thing I had difficulty with was the no caffeine rule during the first two weeks.

Best of luck to you on Monday!!

On 10/27/2022 at 3:11 PM, RoyalAdpi said:

Thank you so much for your response! This puts me at ease a bit! Good luck to you on your journey as well!

Hi, RoyalAdpi — just wondering how your ESG went. Hope everything went smoothly. I am halfway to my goal weight at 5 weeks post-procedure. Keep us posted!

@RoyalAdpi how did your surgery go and how are your results so far?

@Forensikchic do you mine sharing your current weight list since your ESG?

On 3/19/2023 at 8:02 AM, L. Knight said:

@Forensikchic do you mine sharing your current weight list since your ESG?

I weigh 135 today. I have been at my goal weight for about a month now.

On 3/19/2023 at 8:00 AM, L. Knight said:

@RoyalAdpi how did your surgery go and how are your results so far?

I went well. I was back at work on monday after my sx on a Thursday. I have not had any issues. I lost about half the weight in 3 months and I lost the other half in 3 more months but I did take Mounjaro for 2 months to help me get the rest of the weight off. My surgeon prescribed it for me. It made me sick and constipated so I quit taking it. I was close enough to goal anyway and finished the rest by myself. I have maintained now for a month.