Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3 days post-op sleeve (also had my gallbladder removed and a hiatal hernia repaired) and I am getting random stomach spasms that last like 5 seconds. They make my whole abdomen tense and take my breath away for a few seconds. I am going to call the surgeon today but I'm curious if this is a typical pain after vsg? The spasms so far are the worst part of my healing experience.

I had bypass but I had them for a few days in my esophagus. I had esophagus "trimming and stretching" done to repair damage from years of GERD. So my surgeon said it was normal for what he did.

Not sure about the abdomen but it seems like it would make sense. He just cut off your stomach and it is probably a little mad about it.

Personally I would still call. Especially since it sounds like it’s a new issue (you didn’t mention it starting in the hospital). Hopefully they say it’s totally normal and will go away soon but Always better safe than sorry.

I had my surgery the same day as you, and I am getting the same spasms every time I try even the smallest sips of anything. It feels like the stomach and intestines are both spasming for me. Please let me know what your doctor says.

10 minutes ago, Afrankrn said:

I had my surgery the same day as you, and I am getting the same spasms every time I try even the smallest sips of anything. It feels like the stomach and intestines are both spasming for me. Please let me know what your doctor says.

They called to check in on me and said they will have a nurse practitioner call me back. I did google a little bit about the spasms and it seems like a pretty common thing right after surgery. I finally started passing gas a little while ago and I feel a little better since then.

Edited by raspberrylime

I'm thinking the intestinal spasms are part of them trying to get back and operating after surgery, since post op it takes the intestines a while to get back to work.

I could just do without having them every time I sip something 😑

35 minutes ago, Afrankrn said:

I'm thinking the intestinal spasms are part of them trying to get back and operating after surgery, since post op it takes the intestines a while to get back to work.

I could just do without having them every time I sip something 😑

They got in touch with my surgeon and he said it is likely just the inflammation inside causing the spasms. He said to keep walking as much as possible and if the pain worsens to let them know.

1 hour ago, raspberrylime said:

They got in touch with my surgeon and he said it is likely just the inflammation inside causing the spasms. He said to keep walking as much as possible and if the pain worsens to let them know.

Have you tried a warm drink? I couldn't tolerate cold drinks at all and as soon as someone said try warm, the spasms went away

Before my vsg surgery, my surgeon gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxant. I can't remember the name of it now though. But I'm guessing that it is a common occurrence since it was one of the meds that was prescribed. I did have some abdominal spasms on the second day. The medication was very helpful. I only took it as needed.

53 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Before my vsg surgery, my surgeon gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxant. I can't remember the name of it now though. But I'm guessing that it is a common occurrence since it was one of the meds that was prescribed. I did have some abdominal spasms on the second day. The medication was very helpful. I only took it as needed.

Cyclobenzaprine maybe?

My surgeon prescribed hyoscyamine after my surgery to treat stomach spasms. I didn’t end up needing to take it (I think they just prescribe it to all patients just in case) and I remember the nurse telling me that spasms are more common for VSG patients than gastric bypass. So yes, I think it is common, and your surgeon may be able to prescribe something that can help.

Happy to report the spasms are much less frequent today. I'm done with full Clear Liquids now and I think sipping this Protein Shake is bringing me back to life.

VSG here and I've been having some "feedback" from the tummy. It feels kind of like being hungry and a lot like a bad burp that needs to happen. I think it comes on when I swallow a wee bit too much, but I'm not 100% sure. Trying to learn how it reacts now. As someone said, I'm sure she's angry at me!

1 minute ago, You Are My Sunshine said:

VSG here and I've been having some "feedback" from the tummy. It feels kind of like being hungry and a lot like a bad burp that needs to happen. I think it comes on when I swallow a wee bit too much, but I'm not 100% sure. Trying to learn how it reacts now. As someone said, I'm sure she's angry at me!

Oh yeah totally relate to the feeling of a burp that needs to happen! It's like I can feel the burp coming up but instead of having a belch my throat kind of just...gurgles? Really happy whenever I can let out a real burp

14 minutes ago, raspberrylime said:

Oh yeah totally relate to the feeling of a burp that needs to happen! It's like I can feel the burp coming up but instead of having a belch my throat kind of just...gurgles? Really happy whenever I can let out a real burp

Yaaaaas those burps feel fantastic when they finally get out. I can't tell if I'm causing them or if they're still from the surgery blow up. Yes, I feel a rumbling (which makes me think hunger, but that's not it). It's like churning or something and it makes a lot of noise! Gurgles is a great way to describe it.