Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea 8 Weeks Post-op

Hi Everyone,

I’m 8 weeks post op and I’ve been having nausea throughout the day for about three weeks now. My doctor ordered zofran and I wouldn’t say it’s been helpful, the nausea still comes and goes all day or lasts for a few hours off and on. My mouth will just Water terribly and it feels terrible and I don’t want to do anything because I feel sick. With the nausea came a bad taste in my mouth off and on and nothing tastes the same that I eat either. The thought of even my favorite foods sounds yuck. I’ve paid attention to try and pin point what is triggering the nausea but I see no rhyme or reason to it!

(I take omeprazole 40 mg twice a day, which I’ve taken for 10+ years.)

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has any thoughts? Is this normal? I’m a worrier so I worry something is wrong.

thanks for the help!

I didn’t experience it but I have heard people on here say they had to go through a few different nausea Meds and doses before one worked. May be worth another call to your team.

At around 4 years out I started to experience nausea almost daily. I always have Zofran, Dramamine & the ever so delittlefull compazine suppository’s at he ready. My surgeon did his own EDG & didn’t find anything wrong with my shot glass size stomach that he made for me so 🤷‍♀️

I had a huge problem early on with nausea and vomiting. I had GERD at night, and it took about 6 months to find the right medication and dosage for me. It took me a while to find the right time in the day to take my doses for my tablets. I take one dose at 4pm and don't eat for 1 hour before and 2 hours after. I take my second dose at midnight and have nothing for 1 hour before and never eat till my Breakfast Protein yogurt and milky coffee.

If my mouth waters I have eaten something my stomach doesn't want yet, usually chicken. I will have to vomit saliva and foam.

I also had to take Vitamins without any Iron as the iron made me nauseous too

The nasty taste disappeared when I could eat better

I hope you get this sorted quicker than I did, it makes you so weak eating so little

Could be your Multi Vitamins. They used to make me nauseous & almost vomit most days. Ensure you take them after you’ve eaten & spread them out across the day if you take several. Iron is probably the worst culprit but other Vitamins can cause it too. Try looking for a different t brand or if you take a multi & an iron tablet, you may need to cut down on the iron itself. But talk to your medical team first. Worth trying to see if they’re contributing.

I have heard may people say that Benadryl works for nausea. Maybe give it a shot?

Have you tried things like ginger hard candies (might find them in natural food stores or in the baby section), ginger tea or peppermint tea? Sometimes peppermint essential oil just smelling also helps.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate the suggestions and will give them a try!

Did you ever figure out what was causing your nausea? I'm 5 weeks out and having similar issues as you. I'm worried this is related to GERD or an ulcer. I'm not on a ppi, only pepcid because i had some negative reactions to nexium in the past. However, i've been on pepcid so long, its lost almost all of its effect. I've asked to try a different ppi and they don't want to try that but I think I'm having major issues from it. Hoping you nausea resolved but curious how long it might have taken and what you think the issue was. I also don't find zofran helpful.

Thanks.

Laura