Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to work after one week??

I had surgery on a Wednesday and was back at work on Monday. I have a desk job so that part was fine. I didn't struggle much other than being tired by the end of the day. A week off to rest and heal would have been nice but going back 5 days post op was completely doable for me.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Surgery was on a Thursday, back to work that following Monday. I worked from home for a week & the following week I went into the office. No one knew a thing lol!

When I had my sleeve I was in nursing school I had surgery that Thursday had to stay in the hospital for 2 days because of my blood pressure. Was released Sunday and was at school Monday morning. Even tho everyone said I looked like death lol I got through it and graduated! With this revision I’m hoping to do the same. I hate being at home honestly 😫

I am 14 days post op and went back to work after a week. Everything has been good. I find it better to be at work on my regular routine than to be at home with more freedom.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:16 AM, KimA-GA said:

thank you to everyone sharing experiences. i hope one week is enough for me!! I plan on taking a solid week off and then part time for two weeks. a bit nervous about the after surgery recovery.

i have a desk job but do field work too and will be up and down helping the public within the office. has the potential of being tiring. will have to play it by ear and be ok if i have to take off additional time.

I also work at a desk job and go out into the field often. I work in child welfare and go into the field to visit in foster homes, attend court, and whatever other tasks require me to be out and about to help families. I have scheduled for two weeks off but will request more time if needed. I am concerned about all the movement even at two weeks out.

5 minutes ago, Merri Beth said:

I also work at a desk job and go out into the field often. I work in child welfare and go into the field to visit in foster homes, attend court, and whatever other tasks require me to be out and about to help families. I have scheduled for two weeks off but will request more time if needed. I am concerned about all the movement even at two weeks out.

it’s stressful and scary not knowing how much i can handle and don’t want to hurt myself trying to be normal! if only we had crystal balls and knew what it would be like after!

1 minute ago, KimA-GA said:

it’s stressful and scary not knowing how much i can handle and don’t want to hurt myself trying to be normal! if only we had crystal balls and knew what it would be like after!

I agree!! I have decided I am not going to push myself, I am going to do the FMLA paperwork in case I need more time but hoping i won't have to use it.

I am curious to hear how this worked out for you. Have you had your surgery yet?

I had my surgery on a Monday and was back at work Sunday. I am a police officer, but I’m a supervisor so I *mostly* stay in the office unless something requires my attention out the field. I was a little nervous about returning so quickly especially putting my duty belt on over my stomach but I had no issues at all. I’m very active and don’t “sit still and rest” very well. The first couple of days after surgery I was a bit sore and nauseous but by the end of the week I felt fine. Returning to work early helped me get back on track. I was going a bit stir crazy at home after the first couple of days

Yes I went back after one week could have gone back earlier had very little pain or fatigue and I commute 2 hours each way

On 10/6/2022 at 6:55 PM, KRod6 said:

Did anyone go back to work after one week of surgery? Office desk job.

How was it with sitting? Was it hard to stay on track with sips and walking? Did you have belching or Nausea?

I had surgery on 10/17 (Saturday) and went back to work 10/24 (Monday). I had no pain or issues working but keeping up with Water and Protein intake has been as struggle. I also struggle with remembering to get up from my desk and take a walk. However, I am now almost five weeks out and am still having the same issues. I think, with a desk job, going back in one week or a month is not much different. No matter when you go back the Fluid intake and movement are going to be an issue. I have yet to figure out a real solution. I have become much better about the protein and doing okay with water. The process of getting the steps/movement in is so HARD! Even with walking 30 min on lunch and 30 min after work I am nowhere near my desired step count.

If anyone has a long-term solution to the "desk job" problem PLEASE SHARE!

I went back to work after six days. I had surgery on Tuesday and went back to work on Monday. It went well, although I was a bit tired and threw up a few times.

My surgery was originally planned a week earlier, and then I would have had two full weeks before going to work, but the clinic unfortunately had to postpone it.

If people have a desk job and everything goes well, returning in one week is completely doable. That said, I would have preferred a two weeks rest, had it been possible