Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to work after one week??

Did anyone go back to work after one week of surgery? Office desk job.

How was it with sitting? Was it hard to stay on track with sips and walking? Did you have belching or Nausea?

i work from home at a desk on a computer. Wasnt too bad. Getting up and out of the chair and getting back in the chair was a little on the hard side. a cane made it sooooo much easier. Keep a nice big Water container with you. They sell nice cheap stainless water containers on Amazon. I would fill it up and drink through out the day and i would get up every 15-20 minutes or so and just do a lap around the house.

I don't think I could have done it.

I'm a little over 2 weeks out and I went back to work part time the last 2 days. I found it very taxing. It partly how tired I feel, but maybe even more so that I'm mentally drained. I work from home, but have a mentally challenging job, so I have to have a clear head. Now that I'm actually starting real food, it's getting better every day.

The other challenge early on was just how much of my energy and thought went in to keeping up with my liquid and Protein intake. I'm afraid that if I was trying to work as well, I likely would have ended up dehydrated or worse.

I also work at a (mostly) desk job. The week after surgery, I returned to work for about 20-25 hours from home. Most days weren't too bad, but I did find myself getting very tired early afternoon, and having to call it a day. As the weeks went on and my strength returned, so did my endurance. By the third-week post-op, I returned to the office full time.

Yep! No problem, I would have been bored otherwise. I was actually on an important project with HQ at the time and I don’t think anyone noticed. I went back to work 2 days after surgery, working from home. It was totally fine.

I have definitely read of people doing it. I’m fortunate and get paid sick time so took 4 weeks. I considered it a bit of a mental health break to focus on me so I could be on the right track.

I had to have the full 2 weeks off because of the pain from 2 of the incisions and because I was so tired and would just randomly fall asleep. No way could I have gone back after 1 week.

I was scheduled to have surgery in March and I was planning to cheat the system and work from home. My surgery was cancelled and looking back I'm glad. I am currently 2 weeks post op and return this week. I needed the time to get my mind together, rest, and watch movies.

I had vsg gastric sleeve and took 2 weeks off. If I truly needed to I could have returned 2 days later because I didn't feel too bad.

thank you to everyone sharing experiences. i hope one week is enough for me!! I plan on taking a solid week off and then part time for two weeks. a bit nervous about the after surgery recovery.

i have a desk job but do field work too and will be up and down helping the public within the office. has the potential of being tiring. will have to play it by ear and be ok if i have to take off additional time.

I'm 2 weeks in & I couldn't do much after 1 week still. I didn't have gas or incision pain but I felt a lot of muscle soreness & it was very painful. It's apparently not very common but I was one of the ~lucky~ ones

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using BariatricPal mobile app

I stayed completely off work for the week following surgery, then worked from home for the next week (plus Labor Day). Coming back to the office was both wonderful and challenging. Getting up and down from my desk chair was difficult, but as liveaboard15 mentioned, having a cane nearby was definitely helpful (we had a spare one from my husband's foot surgery).

I had surgery on 10/11/22 (Tuesday). I work from home doing chart reviews and came back today. I have a flexible team environment so it is less daunting to get up and get fluids etc. It isn't exactly comfortable being at the desk, but manageable. If I had to go to an office out of home then I would say prep is key: water bottle with enough for the day, Protein Drinks (if at that stage), and any meds that might be needed for the day.

If I had the time off, I would probably take a couple of days more just for my own mental healing. With that said, I can manage it with little physical discomfort.