Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bloating in Addendum, nausea and feeling full

Hi - 5 weeks post op from Gastric Bypass. I am having bloating in my abdomen and discomfort (feeling full ALOT).. Sometimes I have nausea. I understand this can happen after I eat but this is sometimes when I wake up (10+ hours since eating) I am also struggling to have bowel movements. I took a stool softener every day before surgery to help but I've been told not to take since somedays are mainly diarhea. I am losing weight but worry. Thoughts?

How much food are you eating? I can only eat 3-3.5oz at a time. If I eat 4oz I will get bloated & nauseous. I’m over 4 years out & I still weight my food at home.
try a stool softener every other day.

Its early days after surgery and it can be a rough ride for a time. Lots of foods we thought we could eat are definite no-go areas after surgery. We have to just try them again at a later date. I am still struggling to eat cooked salmon. Sometimes my stomach will tolerate it and other times it will throw a tantrum. Your bowel problems will get better as soon as you can eat a full diet again

You may need an increase in Nausea meds to see you overnight, I did. I also use a wedge and have thick books under the top of my bed, so I sleep with my head a bit higher. As well as nausea I have GERD in the night. These 3 things have worked wonders for me

I hope you get it sorted quickly

Are you still on Protein Shakes? Bloating sounds like an intolerance to an ingredient in it or IBS. Can you speak to your team and see if they can give you some pointers. You are very early in your journey and as we all have been given different diets, we don't know what foods you are allowed

You've gotten some good advice, but I'd also recommend talking to your bariatric care team. Each of us has our own experiences to draw on, but your team should be able to draw on hundreds or even thousands of patients to better advise you in light of your particular background and surgical outcome.

I agree with Spartan maker. Your symptoms are such common ones of so many possible issues but your team will know the right questions to ask to narrow the source of your issues down to a specific concern or do tests to get to the bottom of things.