Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 weeks out and scared

I am 8 weeks out from surgery, I have had a couple of days of really poor eating and bad choices. I feel lost and afraid I am not sure what to do I don’t want to fail at this!

9 minutes ago, GAYLELEEBABS said:

I am 8 weeks out from surgery, I have had a couple of days of really poor eating and bad choices. I feel lost and afraid I am not sure what to do I don’t want to fail at this!

Take note of what you did, don't do it again, and from this point on follow your diet to the letter. Head hunger is the worst, so maybe get some sugar free gum to chew if that helps. But you'll have to train your brain that you aren't actually hungry and you're not eating again before your designated time. And above all, stick to your diet. This is a critical time and it's important to get yourself back on track. Maybe talk to your dietician and get some ideas, if you aren't liking what you have available to eat. Everyone slips up at some point, but for it to happen this soon after surgery is a little concerning. But you can come back from it if you dedicate yourself to the process.

We're human, and are all capable of bad choices. Just go back to the plan. New day, clean slate. A couple days doesn't have to be forever.
I started losing my mind between weeks 2 and 3. But it gets better. You'll be ok.

It's normal to fall off the plan on occasion because we're only human. Take note of it and try and be more strict with yourself, but don't beat yourself up over it for falling off plan once. If it continues to happen then maybe schedule an appointment with a therapist to see if you can work through why you keep falling into bad habits and they'll try to work with you to get you back on track (it helps, trust me).

10 hours ago, GAYLELEEBABS said:

I have had a couple of days of really poor eating and bad choices.

Well, what exactly is "poor eating and bad choices"? It's a vague statement.

Anyway, take it as a warning. Think hard about your current diet and ask yourself "Did I really mess up? And if so why did I mess up after only a few weeks? Is this diet I follow sustainable for me? Can I do this long term? Or am I going to burn out within a few months?"

If you are worried about what you did then speak to your team. My advice would be relax a bit, forgive yourself, you know what you did wrong and hopefully would not repeat the incident. You are so near onederland it would be a shame to put off this huge milestone by weight gain.

You have done so well, keep up the good work

16 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Take note of what you did, don't do it again, and from this point on follow your diet to the letter. Head hunger is the worst, so maybe get some sugar free gum to chew if that helps. But you'll have to train your brain that you aren't actually hungry and you're not eating again before your designated time. And above all, stick to your diet. This is a critical time and it's important to get yourself back on track. Maybe talk to your dietician and get some ideas, if you aren't liking what you have available to eat. Everyone slips up at some point, but for it to happen this soon after surgery is a little concerning. But you can come back from it if you dedicate yourself to the process.

I agree with most of this but I was told no gum so you may want to check with your team on that one just in case.

Only you know WHY you made the choices you made. If you don’t know why or are worried you will do it again you may want to consider a bariatric therapist to get to the bottom of things and get some coping tools that keep you from turning to food. I have heard many people on here swear by how much they have helped them. I know that I struggle with emotional eating and I am having a really hard time keeping my weight off (I am a year and a half out). I do not have anyone who specializes in bariatric therapy near me, unfortunately, but really wish I had the option to see someone. You have come so far already. Give yourself every tool available to you to succeed. You can do this.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I think it happens to the best of us. It's great that you realize what you did and are holding yourself accountable. You've got this!

6 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Only you know WHY you made the choices you made. If you don’t know why or are worried you will do it again you may want to consider a bariatric therapist to get to the bottom of things and get some coping tools that keep you from turning to food. I have heard many people on here swear by how much they have helped them. I know that I struggle with emotional eating and I am having a really hard time keeping my weight off (I am a year and a half out). I do not have anyone who specializes in bariatric therapy near me, unfortunately, but really wish I had the option to see someone. You have come so far already. Give yourself every tool available to you to succeed. You can do this.

I did reach out to my surgeon office today they have a psychiatrist that works with them and I made an appointment with the nutritionist. Today was a day of recommitment and the whole experience was a wake up call! Thank you for wreplies and support!

I've started therapy to try to get a handle on some of these issues, before I go in for surgery. Perhaps counseling would help you, too?